The Empress Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$192
US$188
  • Breakfast included
The Rutland Hotel(Douglas)(Great Value!)
US$107
US$103
  • Breakfast included
The Chesterhouse Hotel(Douglas)(Great Value!)
US$107
US$79
Regency Hotel(Douglas)
US$188
  • Restaurant
All reviewspiano barthe penthousesea viewburger barisle of manexecutive roomcentral promenadelarge hotelsingle roomkippersbuffet breakfastreception staffsea frontcoach partycoach triplovely hotelself service
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 August 2007

Have stopped at the Empress for the last 5 years and have just returned. The Empress standards seem to be slipping initially we where offered a very small room (booked a standard double) only had one bath towel and one hand towel .Asked to be moved and was told by reception nothing was available until next day when we could be moved to a standard double , which was what we had booked. Reception and bar staff good but staff at breakfast looked miserable. Service not up to previous standards and coffee/ toast had to be requested several times each morning .

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank OOPIM04
Reviewed 23 August 2007

We arrived after having over one & a half hours delay on the ferry crossing so we were very tired due to the travelling. The Hotel were hosting a wedding and the disco was on, nice and lively when you enter the premises. We were greeted and allocated a room, we got to the room (106) and it was just above the disco, the floor was bouncing! I went back to the reception and asked to be moved, I admit I was irritable due to such a long journey, I was told by the man at the reception that they had no rooms empty, the disco would be finishing in about an hour and there was another one the following night and I was dismissed, not happy. I was ready to pick up my cases and leave when another gentleman managed to find another room on the third floor which was a lot quieter. After that we thoughly enjoyed our stay,even though the weather was lousy. The breakfast was average and boring same thing each morning, what they need is some variety.

• Stayed: August 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 26 July 2007

Smart-looking hotel, but the entrance lobby is a mass of dangerous steps. Rooms are comfortable, but maintenance doesn't seem a high priority - it took 48 hours to get someone to fix the shower. Food was the main complaint. Although the menu looked interesting, the "fresh seasonal vegetables" were always carrots (6 nights in a row!). On one occasion the cheesecake toppings arrived on the bottoms of other people's plates - not pleasant.

• Stayed: June 2007
Reviewed 8 July 2007

The Empress is a distinctly average hotel, with nothing to particularly praise or criticise. My overall impression was of a somewhat dated, but clean hotel. The hotel reception staff were friendly and accommodating, but the bar staff were abrupt and rude in the evening, refusing to serve coffee if they were too busy. I was also surprised to be given a single bed in a box room, as it seems the norm these days to be given a double bed even for a single booking. I would suggest asking for a double bed on booking if you are a single person. I would also suggest getting out of Douglas if possible. This is just like any other provincial town in the UK and the island has many more interesting places to see and visit. I particularly recommend Port Erin and the area around Peel castle. Both have great traditional villages nearby and offer the opportunity of observing seals at close hand and watching basking sharks from the shore or by boat.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank Banjo D
Reviewed 29 May 2007

I was on business and stayed one night. As a woman on my own this hotel felt safe and comfortable. The room which had been booked for me was small, and over a flat roof. I asked the lovely receptionist (an eastern european girl with long auburn hair) if there was a nicer room, and I was given a large room on the second floor with no fuss.
I had a steak and salad in the restaurant, which was perfect. The waitress noticed I was on my own, with a magazine, and kindly placed me at a table with good lighting so I could read.
Breakfast was of the buffet variety, fine.
The swimming pool was quite small, but this is often the case in hotel pools, I didnt go in it but it looked clean and deep.
On the day I left, the receptionist called me a taxi, again with no fuss and much kindness.
I intend to go back to the Empress with my husband for a weekend, to go walking in the Isle of Man. Reccomended!

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank penky