“The worst” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 27 Douglas B&B and Inns
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“The worst”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013 via mobile

Don't know where to start but here goes, left at reception for 20mins phoning a number linked to other apartments block presumably that just rang out, Then eventually got into room and the place was filthy, bed unmade, wet towels on the floor, rubbish everywhere and I won't even begin to do scribe the toilet. This BTW was 1600hrs not first thing in the morning. When I went to moan to my colleague he topped it by saying some guy was lying in his bed with his bum pointing to the moon. Tried to get another hotel but some sort of rally event on so had to grin and bear it. Breakfast was ok, the owner was nice enough but it's up a great big hill from the sea and the main part of town so all in all the B&B part of the operation should be avoided at all costs. Worse place I have stayed.

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Rose F, Owner at Arrandale House & Apartments, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
We were disconcerted to read this review and are currently trying to trace the guest so we can investigate the circumstances relating to the comments made. If this reviewer wishes to contact us direct, we would be delighted to hear from him/her.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

I stayed at the Arrandale hotel for 3 nights.

Staff are considerate and friendly at all times; not only during my stay but after I left the hotel.
I left my camera at the hotel room. Then, staff send email and gave me a phone call to let me know it at once.
Unfortunately, when I noticed the email, I had already left Douglas for Liverpool.
Therefore, I asked her to send it back after I came back home.
She gladly consented to my request and, thanks to her, my camera arrived safely.

The room was clean and I could have strong wifi access.
Moreover, the restaurant inside the hotel (But not Arrandale) provided me with excellent dinner.

The hotel is located within 10 minutes walk from the city centre. It means it is conveniently placed.
On the way to the city centre, I could enjoy lovely landscape of Douglas.

Overall, I could have a wonderful experience in this hotel and superb service of staff made it special more.
I will definitely stay again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Airi T
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

We had a lovely stay. The room was clean and a nice size. The breakfast choice was good. The location is a little away from the seafront, but it is only a few minutes walk down the hill to get there. The staff were very friendly and welcoming, and happy to help book a taxi or provide details on how to get to a tourist attraction. A great base to explore the Isle of Man. Would recommend.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mark H
workington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

We stayed in the Arrandale for a week while we were holidaying in the IoM. We chose it mainly because of the reviews and they weren't wrong. Good points: very clean, breakfasts were excellent with good quality food well cooked, staff very friendly and helpful, close enough to sea front to walk (but all uphill coming back), evening meal available if required without booking, great power shower, friendly bar and place to sit when you're not in room. The poached eggs at breakfast are perfect and I couldn't resist having them most mornings. Give the porridge a go at least once as it was also very good. Rose and Theo are lovely and friendly - we were given a guide book on check in which was indispensable, and The was a mine of information about the island.

Room Tip: Nothing to do with rooms but some good advice - if you don't have a car on the island go for a 3...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank cumbriangrl
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

We chose this place due to its reviews and were not disappointed, the room was a reasonable size and the power shower was fantastic.

The breakfast choice was very good and nothing was to much for the serving staff.

It is up a hill so a vehicle would be ideal for you to get here but it is not a great hardship.

I would recommend this place to anyone looking for somewhere to stay in Douglas as it is close to a large Shoprite store and some excellent restaurants.

Room Tip: Lower floors easier to access but sea views from the second floor if on the right hand side of the b...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank peter W
stockport
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2013

We travelled to the island for my husbands birthday, he has always wanted to visit, I was none to keen but I really had a surprise. The Island is lovely lots to do and see. The people are so friendly. The staff and the owners were lovely. We had a meal in the hotel the first night and then sat outside with a bottle of house wine. The meal was good , lasagne chips and salad. The rooms were clean and tidy with tea and coffeee making facilities, even a small fridge.
Value for money , I would recommend this hotel.The owner let us keep our rooms on until 16.00pm at no extra charge

Room Tip: We had a bay window room on the first floor
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank williaa9
ArrandaleIsleofMan, Owner at Arrandale House & Apartments, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
Thank you for your nice review. It is always good to receive feedback from our guests. It was our pleasure having you with us and we hope to see you again sometime in the not too distant future. Feel free to contact us direct for the best possible rates.
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at the hotel. The room was clean with a terrific view. The hotel staff were very friendly and obliging. The only thing that would make it better is a lift. Those stairs are very steep - but we managed and it was worth it for the view from the top floor window. Would certainly go back again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Freda D
ArrandaleIsleofMan, Owner at Arrandale House & Apartments, responded to this review, 6 August 2013
Thank you for your kind words. It was a pleasure having you with us and I enjoyed our chat. I hope you have been able to sort out your overcharged bags with the airline. Just to keep in mind for next time; we are able to help you with your travel arrangements (sea or air) when you book direct with us. We all look forward to welcoming you back to the Arrandale.