“Adequate but details need attending to”

Arrandale House & Apartments
Ranked #6 of 37 Douglas B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 May 2014

We have just returned from a 6 night stay at Arrandale House where we stayed as a party of 6 with two other couples. Plus points were that the hotel was very warm and the beds were comfortable although our duvet was only wide enough to cover the bed which meant that when either of us turned over the other had to drag the duvet back.

Each of the three rooms we occupied was small with little hanging space. Bathrooms were tiny and weren't cleaned as thoroughly as they might have been. Tea and instant coffee were provided but there were no biscuits. Hairdryers are not provided. Some reviewers have mentioned power showers but none of us got one of those. Also, the flushes on the toilets sounded like the Mersey tunnel foghorn. Not a problem in the daytime but it was a problem at 2am. In general though rooms were adequate.

Breakfast was fine but with issues. The filter coffee was lovely although when two of us ordered together we got a pot to share which allowed 3 cups in total. When we ordered separately we got more than 2 cups each. Refills were available but appeared to be a little grudging. Likewise with the toast. However, the poached eggs were consistently good. Our big disappointment though, (known as 'kippergate'), happened because my husband, when on holiday, loves kippers for breakfast and was looking forward to these (we were, after all, on the Isle of Man which is well known for its kippers) and for the first three days they arrived with no problem. However, on the fourth morning they were not available. This wasn't a problem, but when they were off the menu on the following day as well it was disappointing. I mentioned this to the owner and the problem was rectified but I don't know whether it would have been if we hadn't said. I understand that they don't want to have unwanted food hanging around but might be an idea to ask people to order the night before?

There is car parking outside the hotel but only for two hours at a time during the day so if you have a car but don't want to use it on a particular day you'll have to park it somewhere else.

On balance I doubt whether any of us will return.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gloworm42

Reviewed 4 May 2014

We have just returned from a 5 day biking holiday on the legendary Isle of Man. We stayed at the Arrandale with a group of 17 fellow bikers. The hotel was perfect for our group. The owners / hosts Rose and Theo were really friendly and nothing was too much trouble. The rooms were spotless and comfortable, the breakfasts were lovely. It is in a great location a few minutes walk from the seafront. There is ample free parking outside the hotel. Although some of the decor in the rooms is a bit dated it didn't detract from making it a fantastic week and is excellent value for the money we paid. We are planning another trip to the IOM next year and we will definitely be staying at the Arrandale.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Myself and my twelve year old son have just returned from a wonderful holiday in the Isle of Man. We stayed in the Arrandale Apartments for a week. It suited us perfectly, it was spacious with a fully fitted kitchen which even came with a dishwasher and a washing machine. There was a sofa bed in the lounge which my son slept on along with a cd player, tv and dvd player, everything you could possibly want. They were situated off the promenade and up a hill which was fine for us but could be awkward for someone with mobility difficulties. I would thoroughly recommend the apartments for families and couples. Rose was also very friendly and accomodating, as we arrived before check in time she had no problem with letting us have the apartment earlier than normal. We will definitely be booking there for our next trip to the island.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the gardens in Hutchinson Square
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Lisa S
Reviewed 25 April 2014

I made a reservation for the room last minute and asked for a double en-suite. Got a great room with a great view. after my 4th night I booked again for another 4 nights and they were happy to move me to another room which was bigger and had a much better view. Staff were friendly and easy to approach. Breakfast was great and staff serving were fab. Would definitely come back again.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the bay are lovely and get a good deal of light during the day
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 December 2013

We stayed at the Arrandale Apartments, just a few doors up Hutchinson Square from Arrandale House, for five nights. Our ground floor apartment offered value-for-money, pleasant self-catering accommodation. Bathroom and cooking facilities were good. There was plenty of space in the combined living room/kitchen. We found the location convenient, although the short but relatively steep uphill stretch from the seafront to the apartments may be less comfortable for a person with mobility difficulties. Buses are available, however. There is a fine supermarket for self-catering about a quarter hour's walk away.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CanberraSteve38
Reviewed 29 October 2013 via mobile

Don't know where to start but here goes, left at reception for 20mins phoning a number linked to other apartments block presumably that just rang out, Then eventually got into room and the place was filthy, bed unmade, wet towels on the floor, rubbish everywhere and I won't even begin to do scribe the toilet. This BTW was 1600hrs not first thing in the morning. When I went to moan to my colleague he topped it by saying some guy was lying in his bed with his bum pointing to the moon. Tried to get another hotel but some sort of rally event on so had to grin and bear it. Breakfast was ok, the owner was nice enough but it's up a great big hill from the sea and the main part of town so all in all the B&B part of the operation should be avoided at all costs. Worse place I have stayed.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Rose F, Owner at Arrandale House & Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2013

We were disconcerted to read this review and are currently trying to trace the guest so we can investigate the circumstances relating to the comments made. If this reviewer wishes to contact us direct, we would be delighted to hear from him/her.

Reviewed 16 October 2013

I stayed at the Arrandale hotel for 3 nights.

Staff are considerate and friendly at all times; not only during my stay but after I left the hotel.
I left my camera at the hotel room. Then, staff send email and gave me a phone call to let me know it at once.
Unfortunately, when I noticed the email, I had already left Douglas for Liverpool.
Therefore, I asked her to send it back after I came back home.
She gladly consented to my request and, thanks to her, my camera arrived safely.

The room was clean and I could have strong wifi access.
Moreover, the restaurant inside the hotel (But not Arrandale) provided me with excellent dinner.

The hotel is located within 10 minutes walk from the city centre. It means it is conveniently placed.
On the way to the city centre, I could enjoy lovely landscape of Douglas.

Overall, I could have a wonderful experience in this hotel and superb service of staff made it special more.
I will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo