I hadn't realised it but the last of our previous 3 visits to this hotel must have been back in the 1980's,how time flies,so when we wanted a last minute break on the Island & it came up we thought we would give it a go.
Having read some replies about how bad it looked from the outside we were surprised to see how good it looked,a little tired yes but by no means as bad as we had been lead to believe.
Parking was our first problem,the car park was very full on our arrival,we were lucky as somebody parked right by the entrance moved off & in we went,determined now that the car was staying put!
Once inside the entrance is clean & bright,one problem tho',we had booked 4 nights & they had us down for 2,a problem sorted the next day,one thing to remember when that happens is to make sure your room key is reprogrammed for the extra nights,something we forgot & had a long walk back to reception who quickly solved the problem.
We had room 247,the last room on a long corridor which seemed to get longer every time we walked it,with a sea view but sadly not a balcony,contrary to another reviewer not all sea front rooms have balconies,the origional rooms do but the ones constructed when the hotel was extended some years ago do not,nevertheless we had a wonderful view,the room was clean,roomy & bright if,like the exterior looking a little tired in places,& with mixer taps on the wash basin which we never did work out,turning the hot tap often gave cold water & turning the cold tap hot water,baffling!
On our later visits we have been used to staying nearer the town centre so the Palace seemed an awful long walk away,we ain't as young as we used to be!,but we soon got to know the bus services which stopped right outside the hotel,as do the horse drawn trams.
We did not eat at the hotel although we were sorely tempted,the smell from the Paragon Carvery was wonderful at times,maybe next time!
On our last day my Wife fancied a swim,the pool area is wonderful,large pool & a lovely seated area with big comfy sofa's for me to sit,watch the wonderful view over Douglas Bay & listen to my music,superb,they also serve refreshments in this area,there are also spa facilities & a gym there.
Overall a wonderful stay,a full review of the trip will be on TA forums when I get time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in the heart of Douglas, the Island's capital, BEST WESTERN Palace Hotel and Casino is the Island's leading entertainment and leisure complex combining a quality 4-star hotel with the Island's only licensed Casino and nightclub, a Bingo and Slots lounge, health club, bars and restaurants and a two-screen cinema. During the weekend guests can enjoy a lively and dynamic atmosphere. This is the place to be if you want a quality hotel, a convenient location and entertainment on your doorstep! The hotel provides parking onsite, nominal charges apply. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Best Western Palace Hotel & Casino reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Palace Hotel Douglas
- Best Western Palace Hotel And Casino
- Hilton Hotel Douglas
- Hilton International Douglas
- Hilton Douglas
- Douglas Hilton
- Best Western Palace Hotel & Casino Isle Of Man/Douglas