My second stay here and I have to firstly say how good the staff are and you get the impression they are somewhat up against it at times. Whether this is due to staff shortages I don't know, but they deserve a lot of credit for making the hotel what it is. The resturant/bar staff and ladies and gents that service the rooms are so polite and attentive (special thanks to the two blonde ladies on floor two who tidied my daughter's cot every day - that was a really nice touch) ...... well, you just hope that they get looked after by the hotel.
Stayed in an executive double room, staying mid week (so no Saturday night noise this stay - a 'new' nightclub is about to open on the ground floor I think). The room was generally nice and spacious, the bed was comfy although some of the paintwork near the window needed attention. Tea and coffee provision in the room was generous and complimentary water was a nice touch (although I had to check this was complimentary). The only thing really missing (apart from air con) was a mini fridge. This I find slightly puzzling as there is clearly a space in the room for such an item. At least then water could be chilled and guests would have the option of having other drinks chilled in their room. Note to management - how about some fridges in rooms, or even just in the executive doubles (could be a selling point)?
I didn't think the hotel was as tatty as some reviewers have said but one thing I did notice was the room I was in had an adjoining (locked) door to the next room. When the occupants of the next room were in their bathroom - I could hear most of what went on in their bathroom (and they weren't noisy people at all). Perhaps an extra layer of soundproofing is required between these doors.
I didn't use the health club, but my partner said she enjoyed the pool, steam room and sauna. The bar has a reasonable range but unfortunately now does not stock any local beer at all. On my last stay a smooth-flow Okells was on but this has been replaced by Tetley's which is a shame. Perhaps some bottles of local beer/ale could be sourced if a pump is impractical? The menu is what it is, a bar menu but the food is gorgeously tasty.
On the whole a pleasant stay but the hotel could make some additions to enhance this. Special mention should be made of the staff.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in the heart of Douglas, the Island's capital, BEST WESTERN Palace Hotel and Casino is the Island's leading entertainment and leisure complex combining a quality 4-star hotel with the Island's only licensed Casino and nightclub, a Bingo and Slots lounge, health club, bars and restaurants and a two-screen cinema. During the weekend guests can enjoy a lively and dynamic atmosphere. This is the place to be if you want a quality hotel, a convenient location and entertainment on your doorstep! The hotel provides parking onsite, nominal charges apply. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Best Western Palace Hotel & Casino reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Palace Hotel And Casino
- Best Western Palace Hotel Douglas
- Hilton Hotel Douglas
- Hilton International Douglas
- Hilton Douglas
- Douglas Hilton
- Best Western Palace Hotel & Casino Isle Of Man/Douglas