“Generally good if you have an executive double room”

Best Western Palace Hotel & Casino
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Douglas
London, United Kingdom
“Generally good if you have an executive double room”
Reviewed 10 August 2013

My second stay here and I have to firstly say how good the staff are and you get the impression they are somewhat up against it at times. Whether this is due to staff shortages I don't know, but they deserve a lot of credit for making the hotel what it is. The resturant/bar staff and ladies and gents that service the rooms are so polite and attentive (special thanks to the two blonde ladies on floor two who tidied my daughter's cot every day - that was a really nice touch) ...... well, you just hope that they get looked after by the hotel.

Stayed in an executive double room, staying mid week (so no Saturday night noise this stay - a 'new' nightclub is about to open on the ground floor I think). The room was generally nice and spacious, the bed was comfy although some of the paintwork near the window needed attention. Tea and coffee provision in the room was generous and complimentary water was a nice touch (although I had to check this was complimentary). The only thing really missing (apart from air con) was a mini fridge. This I find slightly puzzling as there is clearly a space in the room for such an item. At least then water could be chilled and guests would have the option of having other drinks chilled in their room. Note to management - how about some fridges in rooms, or even just in the executive doubles (could be a selling point)?

I didn't think the hotel was as tatty as some reviewers have said but one thing I did notice was the room I was in had an adjoining (locked) door to the next room. When the occupants of the next room were in their bathroom - I could hear most of what went on in their bathroom (and they weren't noisy people at all). Perhaps an extra layer of soundproofing is required between these doors.

I didn't use the health club, but my partner said she enjoyed the pool, steam room and sauna. The bar has a reasonable range but unfortunately now does not stock any local beer at all. On my last stay a smooth-flow Okells was on but this has been replaced by Tetley's which is a shame. Perhaps some bottles of local beer/ale could be sourced if a pump is impractical? The menu is what it is, a bar menu but the food is gorgeously tasty.

On the whole a pleasant stay but the hotel could make some additions to enhance this. Special mention should be made of the staff.

Room Tip: If you can, try an executive double for some extra space.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Palacehoteliom, Manager at Best Western Palace Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
Thank you for your comprehensive review following your stay with us. Your feedback is very helpful and constructive and I will pass your comments on for review. Thank you also for your kind comments regarding our staff. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (418)
North Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights 5th 6th and 7th august. Put us in room 214 a double which was clean but overlooking the car park, didnt think that would be bad as we were going to be out all day and most of the evening. On returning to the hotel after a tiring but lovely day we settled down for the night......Oh no, the room was directly above all the air con units and other service ducts and was so noisy that we didn't get much sleep at all. Asked for a different room but they could only move us further up onto the 4th floor and further along, so no joy there. On the second night someone worse the wear for drink was creating a right noise at the rear of the hotel and arguing with the doormen.This was allowed to go on until 2.00am and then the police were called. On checking out on the final day which has to be done by 12 noon,i asked if it would be possible to keep the room till 2pm. Yes if we paid an extra fee. Well after having little sleep on the 3 nights there i was not prepared to stay any longer or give them any more money for what i considered was a holiday spoilt by their attitude and corporate greed. We did not even get an apology for the noise.

Room Tip: Read my review and if you cant stay at the front of the hotel then avoid at all cost.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review and comments. We are very sorry that you experienced noise during your stay with us although I am sure you can appreciate it is not always easy for us to monitor the activities of other guests.

Again, please accept our apologies for any inconvenience and distress caused to you.
Barnoldswick
Reviewed 9 August 2013

After reading the previous reports I was quite anxious about staying here but was pleasantly shocked - first off plenty of parking space - check in nice and smooth with very helpful staff, ok carpets do need up grading but the rest of the hotels decor is fine - lift up to third floor sea view double room - it was lovely - overlooking the sea - lovely and clean - bathroom is brand new lots of lovely white towels - lots of tea and coffee - opened patio windows wide so it was lovely and cool - slept well -Breakfast was excellent - lots of choice and all cooked to a high standard.
internet worked fine in the resteraunt and reception. All in all a good stay and excellent value for money - would we stay again yes we would thank you to the lady on check out as well.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and pleased you found your room clean and the hotel "excellent value for money". Thank you for staying with us, and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2013

I have very good time in Isle od Man hotell very good, best sea views from my room and some cite, I been lots differente place from Douglas,very good if people like travel from small place.
I very like and i like going back

Room Tip: room very good i have all views from sea, i have lots pic and i am not transfer from computer
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review of our hotel. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.
Collingwood, Canada
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Hotel is in serious need of a refurbishment. Public areas are tired and grubby. Rooms are stuffy and when you open the window you have to listen to mechanical components on the roof below. Internet is slow to non existent. One elevator was out of order all of our stay. Complete dump!!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank viewfromanobody

Travellers are raving about these Douglas hotels

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Arrived on Fri 2nd August 2013. Had to insist on moving room as the bed mattress was in a disgusting stained condition. I was shown 2 more rooms with mattresses just as bad before I was finally offered an upgrade to a sea view room with a new mattress ( the extra charge was waived after discussion! ). Carpets in public areas are in urgent need of replacement/cleaning. Breakfast is good but service could be better. Evening meals are only carvery based with the same roast offered on two consecutive days - again service could be better.
Free internet service was intermittent as was the wifi in the poorly stocked bar restaurant.
Whilst the staff are friendly and helpful the hotel seems to be run down and overdue a refurbishment - a poor quality for a 4 star!

Room Tip: Go for a sea view and check the mattress.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gerald S
Palacehoteliom, Manager at Best Western Palace Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, 6 August 2013
Thank you for your review and for your comments which are noted.
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2013

I stayed here while away on business. By no stretch of the imagination is this a 4 star hotel. It is very tired and run down.
I visited the gym and the person on the desk was not very helpful. It is not air conditioned as they claim. The weight machines are rusting and the water machine is hidden behind one of the machines. I was lucky to read a sign that said you need to wipe down the equipment after use as the person on reception did not notify me of this.
I visited the main restaurant once which was OK. It's carvery style so you just go up and ask for what meat you would like and help yourself to potatoes and veg. I had lamb shank and this is the fist time it has not fallen off the bone. In fact I had trouble ensuring it did not fly off my plate and into someone's lap while trying to get the meat off.
The desserts are all kept in a chiller cabinet and again you help yourself. However, what are they? I have a nut allergy and I had absolutely no idea whether they were safe for me to eat and there was no-one around to ask. So I went for fruit salad. It would have been nice to label the desserts so at least you knew what they were.
I ate in the bar once and this was OK. I had gammon and chips which was better than the lamb shank. There is nothing remotely healthy on this menu for those of you watching what you eat. I must say that the gentleman on the bar was very courteous.
As another reviewer has pointed out, there is only 1 lift and the other is still out of action.
My room - what can I say? Terrible. The furniture is tired and dated and looks very sorry for itself. There was no wifi as is common in all the rooms except for 3 or 4 which sit directly above reception. The remote control didn't work and the picture and the television was blocky when the weather was bad. I don't know if the weather had an effect. The pillows are flat and the mattresses hard. The shower was no more than a dribble. On the plus side you do get 2 330ml bottles of still water which is nice. You get basic tea making facilities. There is no air-con and the window only opens at the top. There was a tired sofa and a table by the window which looked out of place.
The carpet throughout the hotel is tired and worn.
Breakfast is OK. Buffet style with a hot breakfast to choose from or there are cereals, yoghurt and fruit. They have tinned and fresh fruit which was good and various juices. There is a fruit bowl but the bananas and apples were overripe and past their best. The bananas were brown and bruised and the apples were soft where they were so old.
The staff are friendly enough, no complaints there.
It's probably rated 4 star for the facilities although the gym is not up to scratch. I would recommend a walk or run along the seafront as it's very pretty. There is a cinema which has a couple of screens, a casino and night club - none of which I used so I cannot comment.
I would prefer not to stay at this hotel again until it's been refurbished. It has potential but needs some money investing into it. Both the inside and outside looks worn, tired and dishevelled.

Room Tip: Ask for a room above reception as I understand these have wifi.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Huggy80
Palacehoteliom, Manager at Best Western Palace Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, 5 August 2013
Thank you for your comprehensive review following your stay with us and we are sorry that we did not meet your expecations on this occasion. Your comments have been noted - we will review these and where possible address the issues you have raised. Thank you again for your feedback.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Douglas
Sefton Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ramsey
The Chesterhouse Hotel
The Chesterhouse Hotel
#7 of 17 in Douglas

Been to Best Western Palace Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!