“Bargain Break”

Best Western Palace Hotel & Casino
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Douglas
Reviewed 23 September 2013

I have been to the IOM many times over the years for the Motorcycle Racing, but this was my first visit with my wife for a "normal" weekend as couple.
I have stayed at this Hotel many years ago when it was a Hilton but I was attracted back this time my the winter offer of £89.00 per night for DB&B in a de-lux room.
Very well staffed, good food & a car park means that I will be back for another visit in the future.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank FrankJ123
Palacehoteliom, Manager at Best Western Palace Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review following your stay with us on our special winter package. We are delighted that you found the hotel well staffed with good food. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed 19 September 2013

Stayed on business on two occasions this year.
The positives:
* The views from the sea front rooms are excellent.
* Free shuttle bus into town (albeit only found out about this by accident on second visit).
The negatives:
* £120 per night is far too expensive for this quality of accommodation
* The attitude of most staff is unwelcoming especially at reception and in the restaurant. The shuttle bus driver was the exception.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Incubator62
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Let me start by saying the Isle of Man was a fantastic experience! I will return as often as possible next time hopefully not on business. Famous for TT races (motorcycle racing) of which I was completely unaware until I arrived and spent some time learning about the island. The flight from London was pleasant enough albeit it was a dated prop plane that helped us make the connection. Upon arrival at the hotel it is very clear THIS IS NOT an American standard 4 star hotel, nor is it a 4 star hotel by London standards. It is something else (something less and something more), which although dated, old and in bad need of updating inside and out, somehow fit in the landscape and character of the island. Check-in was adequate (as was check-out and accurate bill), the room size was OK for sleeping in, the bed was reasonably comfortable, things were generally clean (albeit far from anything sparkling) and everything worked. The view was that of the parking lot not the majestic coastline of Douglas Bay, but for the price it was fair enough. My colleagues and I did not spend any time in the casino, health club or pool so I really can't comment on those parts of the hotel. What really turned out to be a very pleasant surprise was the restaurant (Paragon) and the bar within the restaurant. First a great view of the coastline which added to the wonderful (albeit also dated) ambiance, plenty of tables and space, friendly and polite staff, great selection on the menu and buffet, very good quality food, lively clientele (and plenty of them) and it turned out to be our preferred location for entertaining clients while visiting. Overall - would stay again but may ask to see the rooms they have available first. It would be wonderful if they updated the overall building even if just some minor decor and polish but as I said it seemed to feel right in the overall landscape.

Room Tip: Higher floors with coastline view
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank jbreach
Palacehoteliom, Manager at Best Western Palace Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review and a belated welcome to the Isle of Man. Thank you for your constructive feedback. We do indeed have plans for updating parts of the hotel in the near future and hope this will address the comments you have made. Overall we are delighted you would stay again with us. As you say, the Isle of Man is a fantastic place - but then we are perhaps biased! We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 16 September 2013

The hotel reception is accessed via the large car park which is at the back of the hotel. This does the hotel no favours as the surroundings are dismal. So, first impressions were not positive. The surrounds to the doors and windows of the reception area need a wash, and reception itself is dated, faded and in urgent need of updating. The public areas are no better, with stained and worn carpets, and dull and dingy paintwork.

Guest rooms were brighter and more modern. Fortunately, I had a sea-view. Rooms on the other side of the corridor overlooked the car park, which would be quite depressing. A problem with my room was quickly remedied by a move and I was given free wine for four days in recompense. I think the seal on the double glazing must have broken as I could hear everything in the street outside (which was no problem as it was quiet at night) and the waves on the beach (which was most relaxing).

My week's stay did not have a good start as there was a fire evacuation at 3am. The rumour was that smoke from a smoke machine in the nightclub had leaked into the hotel and set the alarms off.

The heavy beat of the music played in the nightclub (Fridays and Saturdays) was audible in my second floor room and kept me awake.

Most of the staff were pleasant and efficient, although breakfast service could be haphazard and a little terse. Breakfasts were fine.

Food served in the restaurant was very good and reasonably priced.

Room Tip: If you want to keep your spirits up, go for a sea-view room. Friends who had rooms on the third and...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank leaforis
Reviewed 15 September 2013

We decided to have a week in the IOM, This seemed to be one of the top hotels so we went for it. On our arrival we were a bit worried as the car park and reception were shabby and tired. Once we got to our rooms it got a bit better as the room was clean and we had a great view over Douglas Bay. We asked for and got a room on the 4th floor. The room was fine for the money we paid. The hotel itself has a few problems. Firstly the noise from the nightclub is very bad on the lowest floors (our friend had a room on the second floor and had a problem on both Friday and Saturday nights) on the 4th floor we were fine. Had a nice meal at the restaurant in the evening and price and service was OK. Breakfast was not so good though - food and choice were fine but the effort to get tea, coffee and toast was just exhausting. There is no organisation at all so staff just run around while you sit and stew. We watched staff clear tables, fill up the buffet, take people to their tables and generally dash about to no effect and if we did catch their eye they told us they were too busy and we should wait!!!!! When, after half and hour, we managed to find a waiter who agreed to get us some drinks he brought us enough for two even though there were four of us - we then spent another fifteen mins while he decided to get us more. To rub salt into the wounds we watched a couple who just arrived be given enough drinks and toast to feed an army without any problems at all. To say it is a shambles would be an understatement - I can only say to management get it organised as it was a horrible start to the day every day - get more staff or give them their own tables so they know who has been served and who has not. One last tip not everyone likes toast - put out some rolls or bread and then you could cut the toast problem in half - none of us wanted toast but there is no choice whatsoever - never been in a hotel that does not serve bread for breakfast!!
After all the moaning I have to say we had a good time - the bar is small and crowded most of the time but the staff in the bar are excellent and nothing is too much trouble for them - most nights only one person is in the bar but they work so hard. Our bedrooms were cleaned to a good standard every day and the household and reception staff were all nice and helpful.
The location of the hotel is good and in the summer you can get a horse drawn carriage up and down the front. Lots of nice restaurants and tea rooms. Go to Peel for excellent fish restaurants and almost all of the restaurants cater for vegetarians some even having special menus which was great for some of our party. All in all I would recommend this hotel but buy your own bread from the Spar next door and bring it with you to breakfast!!

Room Tip: If you don't like nightclub noise then get 4th floor rooms away from the nightclub. Don't t...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Palacehoteliom, Manager at Best Western Palace Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2013

Thank you for your comprehensive review of our hotel. We are pleased overall that you enjoyed your stay and would recommend the hotel. We are sorry however to hear of the service problems you encountered at breakfast time and will look to address the areas you have highlighted. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed 15 September 2013

I booked this hotel about 9 months in advance as we wanted to attend the TT classic race. Afterwards, I read some of the reviews and was concerned enough about the noise complaints to try booking another hotel (all were taken). But we arrived with high hopes and got a nice, clean room with a beautiful view of the bay. Neither of us had any problems with the décor, which was not modern, but clean and serviceable. The reception staff were very gracious and accommodating with directions and bus schedules. However, I must agree with previous reviews about the noise from the nightclub. Our first night was cool enough that we could manage with the windows closed but the vibration from the music and the shrill voices from the smokers outside went on until after it closed at 3:30 AM! The next night was even worse as the room was too warm without the windows open. Our only hope was the following night was a Sunday, but unfortunately, due to a bank holiday, the night club was open that night also. However, we finally thought to ask the front desk for an electric fan, and they went out of their way to find one and bring it to the room. This made all the difference, and satisfactorily drowned out the sound for a decent night's sleep. However, in the spirit of honesty, I will mention that the mattresses were old spring versions that creaked with every movement. On the plus side, I will again mention the warmth and efficiency of the staff, and the room service breakfast was quite nice. I really wanted to like this hotel and give a good review , but truth be told, I will book elsewhere for our next visit.

Room Tip: The sea view room had a lovely view but was right above the night club entrance and very noisy.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kim B
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Our stay was a birthday treat for my wife. I booked the Palace Hotel as it had all the facilities we needed swimming pool, spa, gym, casino etc. On our arrival first impressions where disappointing the reception area's looked tired and stuck in the 1970's. As our stay evolved the room we were given also looked a little tired but had a fantastic view over Douglas bay from the balcony which was a little small as you could not put seating out their. The room was very clean and serviced to a high standard each day. Food, staff and service were excellent. Overall our stay was enjoyable it was just the décor that let the hotel down not quite the 4 star as advertised. All said we would stay again.

Room Tip: a sea view well worth the extra cost
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review and we are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and found your room clean and the food and staff excellent. We are hoping to start some refurbishment of the hotel in the not too distant future which should hopefully address the areas you mention. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.