“Very enjoyable stay, great location, amazing Suite 107.”
Review of Sefton Hotel

Sefton Hotel
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Douglas
Stockport, United Kingdom
“Very enjoyable stay, great location, amazing Suite 107.”
Reviewed 30 May 2011

My wife and I have just had a great 3 night stay at the Sefton Hotel, the location of the hotel is probably the best place on the Promenade, directly next to the Gaiety Theatre and Villa Marina, less than a 15 minute walk from the Douglas Sea Terminal, there is also a bus stop directly outside the hotel which has regular service to and from the Airport, just £2.50 each way for the 25 minute journey. We were lucky enough to stay in one of the new "Sefton Suites", the William Hoggatt Suite 107, we would highly recommend any of these excellent suites, they are in a class of their own! Suite 107 was on the third floor and had 3 separate rooms consisting of bedroom, lounge and bathroom. The bedroom had a superb King Bed, flat screen hdtv, great modern wardrobes with enclosed safe. The lounge has three windows overlooking the wonderful Douglas Bay, it has a two 3 seater sofas and chaise lounge, bang & olufsen tv, fantastic kitchenette area with hob, microwave, fridge, tea & coffee facilities, and all cooking utensil you could need, and a table with 4 chairs. The bathroom had a fantastic walk in shower with rain head, a jacquzzi bath with TV on wall, wc, bidet and twin sink units, all ultra modern. The TVs in the Suite have individual connections to a Sky+ HD Box and this means you can watch all channels including Sky Sports and you can also record any channel you want and watch them later. There is also free wifi connection throughout all rooms and public areas of the hotel. Breakfast was served in the Harris Restaurant each morning, it was excellent and the service was very attentive. The hotel also has the award winning Gallery Restaurant, we had dinner there on 2 nights and enjoyed excellent meals on both occasions, pricing not over the top and also a very reasonably priced wine list, I must say that Peter Duggan the Restaurant Maitre'D is truly excellent, his personal charm adds to the fine dining ambience and gives an added air of opulence to your dining experience, Peter's team of waiting staff clearly work brilliantly together, without Peter this Restaurant would, I'm sure, lose a lot of its charm. During our stay we did take a look at the other areas of the Sefton Hotel, including the Atrium area and Standard Room areas, the Atrium area was clearly used for commercial events and i guess that the rooms overlooking this area could have problems with noise from these events, the standard room areas were a little tired looking, the corridors in particular could do with updating, we did view one of the Deluxe Sea View rooms and I would say for the prices charged that these rooms give fair value for money. During our stay the Pool and Spa area was closed, which was disappointing, but they did arrange access to the pool area at their sister hotel just 5 minutes away. Also, we can recommend that when you visit the Isle of Man that you purchase an Island Explorer ticket, for 3 days this is £30 but it gives you unlimited access to all public transport including the Airport Bus, local buses, electric trams, snaefell mountain tram, steam trains and horsedrawn trams, really excellent value and gives you chance to tour the whole island, which has wonderful scenery and very pretty villages. When we return to the IOM we will definitely stay in the Sefton Suites again.

Room Tip: Book a Suite!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Darran B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
London
Reviewed 30 May 2011

1 LOCATION: It's very easy to find. I took a taxi from the airport and it cost me £18. 2 BUILDING: The building looks great. It's very big! 3 WELCOME: Good service overall! 4 ROOMS: I particularly liked my room. I was in a "suite" for the night. I loved it! Bang and Olufsen sound system! A lot better than the usual! 5 BATHROOM: Fantastic bathroom 6: DINNER: Great food! 7 OVERALL: I was about to give this hotel four stars but I will put five as it's well desserved!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
Scotland
Reviewed 28 May 2011

Atrium rooms sound great but the area is used for conferencing and really no fresh air and room temperature was 23 c all the time with the heating off. Gallery Restaurant is small and lacks atmosphere as it is spoilt with the traffic to other rooms.The Kitchen smells permeate the corridors as the door is often left open. Even the revolving front door was left open allowing cold air into the hotel or was it to get rid of the cooking smells
While we were there the Pool Spa Etc was not operational. The offer was a taxi ride to the sister Hotel.
Breakfast was excellent and without fault even when very busy.

Room Tip: Don't accept Atrium rooms which are dearer
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank darkieScotland
Hampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 May 2011

Recently I had the good fortune to enjoy two short business trips to the Isle of Man. I stayed at The Sefton on both occasions and can honestly say that my expectations were bettered in every respect. Simply put this is a great hotel. From the outside it has the look of a Victorian grande dame , gracing Douglas's promenade alongside the recently renovated and restored Gaiety Theatrer and dwarfing all the other similar looking mansion block hotels. However, there is nothing Victorian about the hotel interior (apart from its idiosyncratic lay out and labytinthine corridors - a separate lift for those whose room number has 7 as its middle digit? No,really!). The most interesting aspect of the hotel is its surprising, spacious and beautiful atrium feature. So unexpected! It is as if the architects just hollowed out the middle of the hotel to form this truly interesting space which is overlooked by balconied rooms and features much foliage, pools and fountains. Very much not what I had expected.

I stayed in an atrium room for my first stay and a sea-view room for my second. Both were comdortable, well equipped and spacious - the former more so than the latter. As the business I was doing meant that I was late back most evenings I ate in the Norman Wisdom bar rather than in the hotel restaurant. The food was excellent, the barstaff friendly, the atmosphere convivial and the IOM real ale much to my taste.

Breakfast is taken in a spacious and airy sea view room on the ground floor - a great buffet.

There is underground car-parking to the rear of the hotel - very useful indeed.

The spa facility and gym is excellent.

I will most certainly stay in this hotel again on any future IOM visit. The Island itself is absolutely beautiful and I would like to return when I will have more time to explore it properly.

Room Tip: Atrium rooms are the most spacious
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Diptych
Kendal, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 March 2011

I've now stayed in the Sefton suites on several occasions when being on the island on business and I must say the quality is second to none. The facilities are excellent, room service fast and precise with ample room in the suites to hold meetings. The staff are accommodating, good broadband access with excellent catering.

Happily recommend the Sefton Suites.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank lindalejohn
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2011

Was on business in IOM and stayed at the Sefton. There were a number of my colleagues with me on this trip some stayed at other hotels and didn't have such a pleasent stay.
Room was excellent, very clean and spacious. Breakfast was excellent. We also had a meal in Sir Norman's, the food and drink was very good but we had a problem with our order. It was a large order and one of the main meals had been missed off the order but this was quickly rectified by the manager, When we went to pay he took 20% off the total meal and would not accept any tip, true first class service will go back again if ever in the IOM on Business or Pleasure

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank billsime
Isle of Man
Reviewed 19 January 2011

I booked in with my friend for the Saturday night when the snow came down so I didn’t have to travel home.
I have stayed at the Sefton for a few times over recent years and am always amazed at the beautiful indoor water gardens in the atrium. Its a far better way to round off a nice evening out than trying to get home late by taxi and you get the full breakfast and swim the next morning.
When checking in we were greeted with friendliness and welcome and had a delightful room in the atrium.
I’ve previously stayed in one of their new luxury suites but they were all full on this night - we were warned there was a wedding function on before we booked but by the time we got to our room later on it had all finished and we had a lovely nights sleep.
It really is a treasure and is by far the best hotel on the Island. Well done Sefton.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank AngelaIOM
Also consider these accommodations in or near Douglas
The Claremont Hotel
#6 of 17 in Douglas
Empress Hotel
Empress Hotel
#14 of 17 in Douglas

Been to Sefton Hotel? Share your experiences!