“Super Hotel”
Review of Sefton Hotel

Sefton Hotel
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Douglas
Reviewed 15 September 2012

We had a suite & it was first class. Everything was spotless & the bathroom was massive with walk in shower & jacuzzie bath. The lounge area was large & very comfortable with lovely furnishings. The breakfast were very good with a good selection. The gallery restaurant food was delicious. Only negative was the pool was closed for refurbishment..The location was good & near all the amenities

Reviewed 14 September 2012 via mobile

I've been to the isle of man a few times on business and was told the Sefton was ok so thought I'd try it. On arrival the staff were polite and I was given my room key.

The hotel/corridors are very tired and could do with a refurb, rooms are clean but unfortunately I was placed in a twin room, which I didn't find ideal.

Tha worst thing was that I was there working for three days including Saturday, on the Friday evening there was a wedding and on return the music was being played in the atrium which my room overlooked. The music was so loud I literally couldn't hear the tv. I'm talking ridiculously loud, I have never experienced anything like it. It's ok though because it's supposed to finish at midnight!

Next time I'm over I will definitely not be staying there, at least they could have placed the wedding guests on the atrium and given outside rooms to others, and also warned you about the noise levels.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 13 September 2012

We too saw negative reviews on trip advisor but luckily they were unfounded as far as we concerned. We upgraded to sea-view room for a small charge and were delighted with the room as it had a massive bathroom with walk-in shower, large bedroom with a sitting area with two chairs table and flat screen TV. The whole room was very comfortable and well furnished. We were on half board basis and were very impressed with the standard of food ,great selection and friendly efficient staff we were even treated to a complimentary glass of wine with dinner. Breakfast too was excellent lovely dining room with plenty of room between tables. The swimming pool was actually closed whilst we were there but the hotel staff offered us the use of their sister hotels pool and a return taxi free of charge. Altogether a fantastic stay, all the staff were friendly and gave good service we will definitely be back.

Room Tip: We chose to upgrade to sea-view rooms as reviews said the atrium rooms could be noisy and the view a...
Reviewed 10 September 2012

I booked 3 nights here on the basis that it was supposedly the best hotel on the Isle of Man. Being single I always pay for an upgrade otherwise all hotels give you a poor room. From the time I checked in to the last moment my stay was a struggle, room allocated was still poor had to complain and wait round for ages whilst they grudgingly 'upgraded' me but not to a sea view I thought I had booked. The room was not clean, towels were not replaced, no eggs on thebreakfast buffet for 20-30 minutes sometimes, the car park was tiny so you can't get in it unless you return at lunchtime and the staff rarely understand English. Not worth its 4* rating, I would give it a 2+ at best. Only good thing is its location very close to the main shopping street and restaurants.

Room Tip: I wouldn't go again so can't recommend it
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Katykang
Reviewed 7 September 2012

We recently attended our son's wedding reception held at the Sefton Hotel which we found to be an excellent venue both for the wedding and for wedding guests staying in the hotel rooms. The rooms, with balconies, looked out onto the atrium in the centre of the hotel, a very fresh, light and airy space perfect for functions. Everything went very smoothly.The wedding breakfast was well presented and everyone seemed to enjoy all the courses. The staff were very accommodating and friendly working into the wee small hours serving guests who didn't want to retire early! We enjoyed breakfasts in the restaurant overlooking the promenade and Douglas bay and the weather was very kind to us. We found our room, a junior suite, to be comfortable and airy, and particularly liked sitting on the balcony overlooking the atrium, a bit like a Palm Court!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 September 2012

Stayed at the Sefton 2-4 Sept 2012. I had read many negative comments on trip adviser and have to say I was concerned. Not at all. From the reception staff - especially Sam - to the breakfast and restaurant staff, they were all very pleasant and helpful. The breakfast was very good. Yes, in parts the hotel is a little shabby but didn't detract. Had a twin room over the atrium with a balcony. Very peaceful and the room was spotless and comfortable. The only downside was the pool area - out of order. I feel this needs to be reflected on their website since it seems to have been out of order for most of the summer. Would definately stay here again.

Reviewed 3 September 2012

I had a very disappointing break.
Our room had not been booked for the correct number of nights although i had it confirmed in an email prior to arriving at the hortel. We had to wait for another room to be found for us which took about 30 minutes. We were part of a wedding party, but this did not matter as when we wanted to eat in the bar we were told it was fully booked, we could not even sit to have a drink. We had to have room service. I have never had to order room service in any other hotel in UK, europe or USA due to not being able to eat or drink in the hotel that you were staying in.
We had to contact reception for towels during our stay. Our room had not been serviced, we still had wet towels from the morning on the afternoon of the wedding.

Other people in our party did not have their rooms serviced at all during the 4 night stay and had to contact reception to have toilet paper and towels delivered to the room. This is not what you expect from a four star hotel.

We did eat in the hotels restaurant as a party of 12. The food quality was excellent.

I

Room Tip: We had a room that looked into the atrium. Lovely area.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family