“Fantastic Hotel”

Ranked #9 of 22 Hotels in Douglas
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Hotel”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Superb hotel in the centre of Douglas on the wonderful promenade . From reception to the bars & restaurants the service was of the highest calibre matching professionalism with friendliness .The spacious bed room with it's own balcony was first class in every respect . We ate in the award winning Gallery restaurant & the food was outstanding & such great value . It has all the benefits of a modern four star hotel but enhanced with it's heritage & history . We will certainly return to The Sefton.

Room Tip: We had a great room overlooking the atrium with it's own balcony . Super bathroom with separate...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
SeftonHotelManager, Manager at Sefton Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. Needless to say we are delighted to receive your positive feedback and will circulate your comments to our staff. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2014

First impressions were that this hotel could do with some refreshment.The Reception area was dark and doomy and the lift was very slow corridors to room uninteresting but the room was beautiful and very comfortable.The staff were a joy very helpful and smiling.The shower in the room was useless a dribble of cold water.We got a member of staff to correct it and he left a diagram of how to work it but still no joy.Most meals were very good but on the last morning I went for eggs Florentine.A disaster.Looked like a dogs breakfast and was served with a plain unseasoned white sauce!!!

Room Tip: Have a room onto the atrium
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
SeftonHotelManager, Manager at Sefton Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your stay with us. On the plus side we are pleased you found your room "beautiful and very comfortable" and our staff "helpful and smiling". We have noted your comments regarding the shower and will ask our maintenance staff to look into this - please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused. Thank you again for your feedback.
manchester
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for one night and colleagues had mentioned that it was not great, however, went with a open mind. Check in was swift , not overly friendly , no directions given to rooms etc. they have 2 lifts, green and blue, depending where you are in hotel. Well , this hotel is like a time warp. Dated is a understatement. The beds are simple divans , but no duvets , only sheets with a very unattractive cover on top ( stained ). I had a internal looking balcony as hotel has a atrium , so this does make the room quite dark , even on a sunny day.
Breakfast is served in a very uninspiring room, however staff were welcoming. The food itself looked like it had been on the buffet a while, skin on the beans, hard looking egg, cheese and meats very dry.
The hotel does have a pool however I didn't get to see this so not sure what it was like.
I can imagine in it's day it was a lovely hotel , however, that day is long gone and seriously needs some money spent on it to bring it up yo modern day standards . In my opinion, there would be a lot nicer hotels or b&b's locally to stay that would probably be cheaper.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank pauljbManchester
SeftonHotelManager, Manager at Sefton Hotel, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your stay with us and we are sorry that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion. We do have a number of planned improvements in hand during the year which should hopefully address some of your comments. We do review and address where possible all feedback received and your comments have been noted, thank you.
herts
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Stayed here one night in business. The hotel was arranged for me and not selected by me but it was a nice surprise. There was free wifi and the rooms were fairly basic but actually very nice. The nice surprise was a balcony overlooking an atrium area filed with trees.

The bed was nice and comfortable although if you have long legs you might struggle. There was a small but good bathroom and a safe in the room for valuables.

I had to leave early so can't tell you what breakfast is like but I'm sure it was nice.

The only downside is that the function we attended there, the staff just stood around and didn't serve the food or wine. Shame that happened.

The best bit was the price. I guess it is off season but the price was good.

Would I stay there again? Yes.

The final good bit was I was able to fly back into my favourite airport London City, as the services from the IOM TO London through London City, had just increased.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
SeftonHotelManager, Manager at Sefton Hotel, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Thank you for submitting a review following your stay with us. We are pleased you found your stay good value for money and your room and bed comfortable. We have noted your comment with regard to the service at the function and will look into this on your behalf. Thank you.
Fremont, California
Reviewed 10 April 2014

This is an old world style hotel with good food and it is in a wonderful location. Very nice staff and a wonderful great buffet breakfast. It is a good place if you are going to be doing business at nearby restaurants and also visiting some famous tourist sites.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review and thank you for your comments regarding our staff and breakfast. I notice that you have travelled from California .. a belated "welcome" to the Isle of Man and we trust you enjoyed your holiday.
Hampshire UK
Reviewed 2 April 2014

I really did not like this Hotel from the moment I checked in. No welcome at reception, gruff manner (like you are doing me a big favour to let me in) and a room card which did not work.

Talking of my room, i couldn't find it. The lifts were being refurbished and the signage to the first floor atrium rooms was pathetic (all the signs were poorly placed and confusing - it's a big hotel).

I don't really get the Atrium thing (this one was like being next to an over-chlorinted swimming pool) and while my room was ok it was very hot (the scourge of many hotels) and the wi-fi was hopeless.

There were signs of some refurbishment to the older frontage of the building which will be welcomed.

The Bar is interesting from a historical viewpoint and its relationship to Norman Wisdom but felt more working mans club than 4 star hotel. Service was ok but nothing more. Breakfast was actually good in a Fawlty Towers kind of way.

I was quite pleased to leave to be honest.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Palacehoteliom, Manager at Sefton Hotel, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at the hotel and we are sorry that we did not fully meet your expections. We have noted your comments and of course will review and address these where possible. We note your comments regarding Sir Norman's Bar however we do offer fine dining in our 2 AA Awarded Rosette Restaurant, The Gallery, aiming to provide our guests with a choice of dining options.
Jersey, CI
Reviewed 1 April 2014

It's a few years since I was last in the Isle of Man, but I have always gone to the Sefton where possible - it's conveniently located, and always has a decent standard. I wasn't disappointed in that - but I was disappointed to find that they have closed their swimming pool (and removed all reference to it or explanation for why it has gone). It is a shame, as it was always a lovely little pool - but little used, so probably wasn't profitable; however, there is now no reason for me not to use its rival The Claremont next time, which is a little closer to the office. As far as I'm aware, the only other hotel in Douglas with a pool is the Palace (former Hilton). The last time i was in there (about 5 years ago), the pool was so unpleasantly warm it was like swimming in a hot bath, and I was sweating in the pool after one length.

The Sefton is a little tired in parts, especially the original part of the hotel, but the service was unexceptionable as ever, the hotel is very clean, the bed was very comfortable, the sea view was fantastic, and the food is good. I certainly shan't complain if I'm booked into the Sefton again (but I do hope that they decide to re-open their swimming pool!)

Room Tip: I like the sea view rooms in the original part of the hotel. The modern Atrium rooms are lovely too.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Palacehoteliom, Manager at Sefton Hotel, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review and thank you for your comments. With regard to our swimming pool, I am delighted to advise that this is due to re-open at Easter time and we apologise that it was unavailable during your stay. We are pleased you found your room clean and comfortable and you enjoyed our food and of course the fantastic sea views. We look forward to welcoming you back again, especially in light of the pool re-opening.