“Apartment 1, ground floor to the left of the lift”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Douglas
Braddan Bridge House - Joey Dunlop Foundation
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My husband, son, aged 37 and confined to wheelchair and myself stayed in this apartment from 12th of July to the 16th July 2014. It really does tick all the boxes for anyone who is severely physically disabled. Sadly the hygiene standards were not so high. On arrival we let ourselves into the apartment and the cobwebs, dust, general condition overall of the apartment were not up to our standard, the condition of the wet-room flooring was appalling it was really dirty and the shower curtain had black mould on it, some of the crockery even had the remains of cereals on them. Mr Quirke arrived and we told him we were not at all happy. He did say he had noticed the dust on a previous visit and just laughed. He did mention he would be seeing the cleaner, but did not make the offer of the cleaner returning. My brother and his partner are living on the Isle of Man temporarily and had come to Braddan House and were present when at the time. I`m sure Mr. Quirke will remember subsequent conversations. My husband and I discussed our options:- return home as soon as possible or clean the apartment thoroughly. In fairness to our son we decided to do the former. We cleaned the apartment, my husband spent 2 hours alone scrubbing the wet-room floor, changed the bedding for some my brother`s partner brought for us to use. On the rise and fall bed my son was going to use we removed the sheet and found on the mattress cover 2 dead moths and some nasal body waste. Not nice. Plenty of dust/ fluff etc.on all the window frames, window boards, under all the beds, behind the bedroom furniture/furniture in the kitchen/living room and hall area, lots of sweet wrappers also behind the chest of drawers in the hall, even the portable hoist was dusty. Our son has allergies we had no option and had to clean thoroughly. Thankfully we found a Henry Vac in the utility room, which was in a similar condition as our apartment not clean. We drew the line at cleaning the utility room. We used our own cleaning products, although there was a foam mop in the wet-room, worn out and filthy of no use whatsoever. Mr Quirke left us a new mop head outside the apartment. We also cleaned the reception area desk, very dirty telephone etc. and vacuumed the floor. We didn`t clean the windows or the interior of the oven, not used by us during our stay. Apparently the cleaner has been dismissed. My husband was told by Mr. Quirke that he had himself cleaned the upstairs apartment in readiness for the family arriving the next day, who have also left a review. Sadly we didn`t encounter them but would have loved to have spoken to them.

Mr. Quirke is fully aware of all of the above as my husband did speak Mr. Quirke the next day. We really do hope all cleaning issues have been resolved because no one should have to start their holiday as we did, absolutely shattered and still have the energy to care for a loved one who is totally dependent on you for all their needs.

p.s. the location is fantastic for viewing during the TT races but the area is unsuitable for walking with a wheelchair.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank cjrw01
Joeythecat, Front Office Manager at Braddan Bridge House - Joey Dunlop Foundation, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Joey Dunlop Foundation is a registered charity that provides accessible accommodation of the highest standard to people with special requirements at an affordable price. To achieve this we are reliant upon the hard work of a few volunteers .If we were a commercial business I would understand why this guest has posted such a review, however we are a charity and have to operate with restricted resources. The cleaning issue was an one off due to the cleaner taking ill and not having an opportunity to clean to her very high standards. New cleaners are in place , our volunteers work long hours to ensure guests have an excellent time at Braddan Bridge. This reviewer was aware her issues were taken seriously and she advised that she had cleaned up , so no need to call in the cleaner who at this time was in hospital.
This is our first complaint in 4 years and was due to circumstances beyond our control , every effort was made to address alleged problems.
If we were to employ more paid staff then the cost of the accommodation would prevent many people staying with us and would defeat the charities objective.
Many charities that provide accommodation are unable to offer the standards of a 5* facility due to operational costs and most guests accept that the apartments are for a short term visit and will never be the same as their home.
Each apartment is now subject to a cleaning audit before each arrival ,this places more strain on volunteers however we are determined that a situation like this does not occur again .
Kevin Quirk (Trustee)

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Braddan Bridge House ( Joey Dunlop Foundation). Is 3 apartments offering people with special needs a place to stay on the Isle Of Man . Now you might think that its just for bikers but THIS IS NOT THE CASE. We came on the 13th July and stayed in the 3 bedroomed apartment with our 3 children ( our youngest boy who is 4 has complex needs). The apartment is out of this world it was spotlessly clean and offers everything ie; Profiling beds, hoists we had two disabled wet rooms which are big. low level work surfices and loads of space for wheelchair users to move about with no problems at all. In our apartment we also had a balcony which was great to sit out and watch the world go by . Joey Dunlop Foundation also has a utility room which can be used by anyone staying in the apartments at no extra cost in their you will find a washing machine , tumble dryer and extra towels and bed linen if you need more you just help yourself. When we arrived on the 13th July we were greeted by Kevin Quirk who runs the Joey Dunlop Foundation and he was an absolute gentleman . He showed us were everything is and helped us settle in he also made it very clear that if we needed anything at all then not to hesitate to ask him . Access up to our apartment is gained by the disabled lift which was fantastic and very easy to use . We had a brilliant week staying here and it was a real home from home infact I don't think any off us wanted to leave as the facilities were just fantastic . I would urge any families with children who have any type of special need to go stay at the Joey Dunlop Foundation you really wont be disappointed and would be made to feel most welcome . This is an Excellent place to stay and we cant wait till we go back again . The Hawkins Family

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Excellent apartments for people with special needs of whatever nature. We went with a child with autism but the flats are available to anyone any needs and a superbly adapted and maintained. Kevin is on hand in the shop/office to help. Braddan Bridge is excellently and centrally placed for trips around the wonderful Isle of Man. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank tonycor
Reviewed 9 June 2013

I only became a wheelchair user, unexpectedly, four weeks ago. Still an inpatient in a rehab unit in the UK, this was my first visit back to the Isle of Man for a weekend leave. My home has three floors and was therefore impractical to stay at. An email to Kevin secured the Lodge for Friday & Saturday nights.

That is the first positive about the Joey Dunlop Lodge, the friendly & helpful staff...

"Can we arrive late?" 'Yes, we will sort the key out for you',
"Can we leave late?" 'No problem",
"Can I bring the dog?" 'Yes"...
"free Wifi" 'Yes'

Perhaps ironically as I'm now a wheelchair user, my job is managing services for adults who have disabilities. With profiling beds, hoists, wet rooms, raising/lowering sink etc the facilities themselves are excellent.

I'm hoping that I will be able to use the stairs enough that my next leave from hospital I'll be able to go home, but if not, I'll hope there is space at the Joey Dunlop Foundation. If you are a disabled person looking for somewhere special to go on holiday, come and stay at the Joey Dunlop Lodge.

This is a charitable organisation. If you are a bike fan and see them fund-raising, I can assure you that your donations are being put to good use. They are now fund-raising with the intention of building a further two apartments.

PS The Steam Packet [ferry company] were very helpful too. Travelling with them as a wheelchair user is straight forward enough.

PPS There isn't a "Fitness Centre", I clicked on it by accident and couldn't remove it!

Room Tip: If you are a motorbike fan, the view from the balcony offers excellent views of the TT/MGP at Bradda...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank iom_keith
Reviewed 15 September 2012

we are just back from a week stopping at the braddan bridge house, apartment 3 ,
its a real home from home , with everything you need hoists , profiling beds and even two wet rooms , making our week in the ilse of man comfortable and so enjoyable ,
pauline , the lady in the office was very friendly and helpful , making us feel even more at home ,
even the crew on the ferrys was great , helping us with the lifts etc ,
a big thank you to all ,
keep up the great work ,
hopefully we will be able to vist again soon

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank cforrest613
Reviewed 26 August 2012

The facilities at Braddan Bridge House could not be bettered, nor the friendliness and helpfulness of the people looking after it, all voluntarily.
It is very difficult to find suitable disabled friendly accommodation, especially on the Isle of Man, but everything at Braddan Bridge House has been carefully thought out to make a stay there as comfortable and stress free as possible, for visitors with any level pf disability.
It is in a very central position for getting about the island, and has plenty of level parking.
There are free washing and drying facilities, and access to extra bed linen and towels if needed. There is also free WiFi if required!
We could not recommend it more highly.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank katydee
Reviewed 8 June 2012

Having stayed on the Island many times for the TT, and in recent years having to secure very scarce 'accessible' accomodation, we were so lucky to have been offered a weeks stay at 'Joey's Place'. Hotel, B&B or Self Catering the definition of 'accessible', varies widely on the Island and while efforts are well intentioned, they are not in our experience practical. (Save for the Sefton Hotel who always go over and above in terms of effort).
Back to Braddan Bridge!!! This place is just fantastic, very very well equipped, every aspect of accessiblity is covered. From Electric profiling beds, wet room, grab rails, adjustable, work surfaces, swipe & key entry, you name it, it has it. The best bit is, it looks and feels 'normal', it feels like home, staff are discreet yet available if needed, nothing but nothing is too much trouble. Because of the wet weather this TT, friends of ours camping close by were encouraged to stay with us, towels and bedding offered at no extra charge, there was a sofa bed which was for extra guests'.
Its important I believe for people to know that Braddan Bridge is not just for disabled ex bikers as some people assume. It is open to anyone with a difficulty, and the Joey Dunlop Foundation are keen to encourage familes and children. Anything is achievable and having spoken to Kevin Quirk..........that man is an octopus, he got anywhere and everywhere this week!!!........some of the holidays they have supported via the foundation, have literally been life changing and in some cases once in a lifetime experiences.
Please, I cannot stress highly enough, this place needs the word spreading that it is available, affordable, and accessible. The Foundation, Kevin, the trustees & Linda Dunlop should be very very proud of themselves. Joey, (Yer Maun), who famously said "I never wanted to be a superstar, I just wanted to be myself", you always were a superstar in my eyes, and this place as your legacy deserves every bit of support, to keep your dream alive.
Fantasic holiday guys, job very well done.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends