“Concept great, service poor”
Review of The Tickethall

The Tickethall
Ranked #35 of 154 Restaurants in Douglas
Cuisines: British, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Wheelchair Accessible
Douglas, United Kingdom
“Concept great, service poor”
Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

Heard much about the Fireman's breakfast, so went with the family 2 weeks ago. No one explained the format (you need to go up to counter to place your order, you can select up to 5 items from what's available etc). On receiving breakfast presentation was great, but eggs need a little more cooking. Toast came after we finished the breakfast. Dirty plates not cleared until we left. Presentation, concept & value for money good, service and attention to detail poor.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank John W

Douglas, United Kingdom
“Excellent food”
Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

Amazing good quality food at an affordable price . Great for a full english breakfast and quick buffet lunch or a amazing three course meal for dinner

Ramsey, United Kingdom
“Saturday night Supper Club”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I've been a couple of times to The Tickethall, they open Friday & Saturday nights. Just had another fab meal the food really is fantastic quality and it has a really unique atmosphere. It's not a 'posh' restaurant being in a Victorian railway station, but that is part of the charm, and the food speaks for itself. highly recommend.

Visited October 2013
“A great night out, delicious filling food...”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We were taken here by my in-laws who are completely in love with The Ticket Hall, so much so that tripadvisor have apparently blocked any further positive reviews by them as after posting after each visit they got suspicious!

With expectations raised we were not disappointed. We were greeted by both Chef and Maitre D', not special treatment it seemed as everyone got the treatment. As a BYO we had our own wine but we were quickly assisted with opening and getting other drinks. There was a convivial atmosphere and while we were late and hungry and ordered quickly, the Chef Steve arrived to see if we needed any help choosing. The waiter was well versed in all the dishes so his help wasn't required.

The food came promptly and was fantastic. Locally sourced, seasonal, fresh and generous in size. I had queenies (small scallops) and they were spot on. The venison daube (a stew of sorts) was full of flavour and was a hearty dinner, perfect for a blustery night. We had a selection of desserts on the table and they were all good, with unique takes on culinary standards. If only I had had space for cheese (an extra or an alternative to dessert on the fixed menu).

All in all a great night out. Be prepared for the station loos, perfectly clean but a bit cold and a reminder that the restaurant is borrowing space in a working station ticket hall.

For 4 people to eat so well and have such a good time for £22-50 each (only £3 more if you had steak) is really amazing and we will come back the next time we are on the island without fail.

Great Job Steve!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Dudderidge
Isle of Man
“Am I missing something.....??”
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We called into the Tickethall today for lunch, as I'd seen that the place is ranking pretty high on places to eat in Douglas. I have to say, I'm totally confused as to why it's ranked so high. Our meal was extremely disappointing - my husband is very easy to please, and even he didn't enjoy his meal. The main courses looked nice - I went for a roasted vegetable dish, my husband the cheese and potato pie. Then we invited to help ourselves at the salad buffet which looked really inviting. But when we tucked in - well, what a disappointment. The majority of the salads were coated in the same oily vinaigrette dressing which was sharp and unpleasant, and made everything - be it pasta, peppers or roasted veg - taste exactly the same. They all ran into one large unappetising mess on the plate. The mushrooms were particularly unpleasant, mushy and oily and just horrible. My main dish wasn't too bad, but it was cold and the crispy topping had gone so hard that it was impossible to eat. My husbands cheese and potato pie was just that - mashed potato topped with cheese. He searched for some onion but was unsuccesful. I'd put a couple of potatoes on my plate from an electric dish at the end of the buffet and they were inedible. All in all a very disappointing experience, although I've got to mention that the lady dishing up the main courses was lovely and really friendly. We won't be going back, and would most certainly not recommend.

• Visited October 2013