“A really nice experience”
Review of The Tickethall

The Tickethall
Ranked #25 of 162 Restaurants in Douglas
Cuisines: Seafood, British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 4 May 2014

A table of eight of us dined on Saturday 3rd May 2014 at the Tickethall Douglas. I'm never a fan of dinner at eight - its a bit late for me, but were seated quickly, and attended to well. The weekend supper club menu comprises of 2 courses for £20.00 or 3 for £25.00, with some very small surcharges for certain dishes. Drink is a 'bring your own' affair, which means the restaurant can concentrate on doing the food and service well.

It was unexpected, and nice to be visited at the table by the chef to talk you through what he had in his larder. I opted for a terrine to start, followed by Flat Iron Steak. The terrine was ham hock based, and flavoursome. The steak was really good, served with an overtone of sesame oil dressing on the accompanying base. Fresh vegetables were nicely cooked.

The servings are perfectly executed leaving enough room for dessert. A fruit crumble with custard, followed by piping hot coffee, was a perfect finish to a well-executed performance. Total bill was £245.00 for eight people, or £30.00 per head. Had they been serving their own drinks, I would imagine you could add another £15.00 a head to that - and I would still have handed over my credit card happily.

Would I do anything differently? Well, the inclusion of some inside loos, as opposed to the rather run down station ones would be a welcome addition. The service, whilst very good, might benefit from a little more refinement.

overall, a very good 8/10. I will be back without a doubt, and would happily recommend.

1  Thank fraggledweller

Reviewed 2 May 2014

We were at the Tickethall for a wedding reception - from start to finish it was amazing. The food was wonderful - very unusual to get a choice of food at a wedding reception without pre-ordering. We had a choice from at least 3 dishes for every course. I cant comment on value for money as I didn't pay the bill !

Reviewed 15 April 2014

we ate at the tickethall last friday evening . lovely ambience when you walked in the door . the staff were friendly and helpful . the tables were beautifully laid .hard to decide what to eat it all sounded delicious eventually chose the pate and lamb which was so tender , piping hot as were the veges it was served with . finished with a banana fondant , that was a first for me and very good it was too , several off us had the cheese buffet , what a good idea , the bring your own wine made the evening very affordable and needless to say the tickethall was full if only we lived a little closer we;d be regulars have a good season guys

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Once again we had a brilliant meal here. I had a really tasty starter and succulent tender steak for my main course. There was a good choice of cheeses and those who had a sweet were very impressed.
A minor detail - I would suggest that they get someone to proof read the menu. Plumb crumble and Rid eye steak!! Just two of the mistakes on the menu.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

We ate at the Tickethall on the Friday supper club event. 3 absolutely fantastic courses, each one cooked and presented to perfection. Between us we had Queenies ( 3 ways ), a deconstructed Waldord salad with smoked cjcken, smoked duck and smoked salmon for starters. Mains were herb crusted rack of lamb and slow cooked beef and we both had Gooosberry, Apple and Treacle crumble for pudding.
Add to the fantastic food the fact that you can bring your own tipples made this the best overall eating experience for a long, long time if ever!