“Easter Trip to Heaven”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Swindon, United Kingdom
“Easter Trip to Heaven”
Reviewed 9 May 2014

How can you describe your first trip to the Isle of Man? We all (7 of us) arrived at the Athol fresh from the ferry and were warmly greeted by the hostess, Adrianne. Five of our party were members of the Whole Hog Productions, and were going to be performing their version of Shakespear’s "Much Ado About Nothing" in the Isle of Mans' Festival of Plays. I was there as the "official photographer" for the theatre company.

Anyway, back to Athol House. The Athol provided us with excellent rooms. I shared a twin room with one member of our group; others had either single, twin or double rooms. They were well furnished with en suite showers & toilets. The showers were lovely and warm, easily adjusted for temperature and flow. Soap, flannels and towels etc were also provided. The beds were brilliant, just the right level of firmness, I wanted to take mine home, but I think they might have noticed… TV, tea and coffee facilities were also provided in the rooms. The rooms were tidied and beds were made every day, which I appreciated. There is also a comfortable guest lounge, which was well appointed and in keeping with the rest of the house.

A full English Breakfast with all the cereals and toast, tea or coffee you could eat was served between 8 and 9 every morning. Adrianne offered to serve our breakfast at 7 on the day of our departure, which we gratefully accepted as we were due to sail at 8:30.

There are three important questions here; would I go back? Will I recommend the Athol to anyone else? Was the Athol value for money? A resounding YES to all!!!

Lovely people, lovely hotel, fabulous experience!!!!

Thanks Adrianne!!!!

Room Tip: If you have problems with stairs, ask for a room on a lower floor. All the rooms are great!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank terryb1953

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Stayed here for the last nine years and it's always been the cleanest friendliest hotel I have stayed in and love coming to the island every year. The hotel is also very easy accessed and I have had no problem throughout the years of me coming here. Staff here were very polite and welcoming when we arrived to the hotel Athol House.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Kebin64
Runcorn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2014

The athol house is a very friendly hotel with the comfiest of beds. It was a very clean, and adrianne was very helpful and chatty. The breakfast was great what you wanted you could have, the hotel is situated 200yards from the promonade.

Room Tip: Room 3 is small but the best bed
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank hugh f
Portrush, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I was in Douglas on business mid March and stayed at Athol House for one night and was expecting the usual mediocre experience that comes with budget guest houses....how wrong I was! The owner greeted me upon my arrival and was extremely friendly and helpful.
Although there was an issue with my original room (in which I was reimbursed immediately) the room I had been moved to was very spacious and very clean. The Egyptian linen and mattress on the bed was very comfy and smelt very fresh.
The Wi-Fi signal for such a large house was strong and the guest living room was perfect to set my lap-top up to do work on.
For breakfast I asked for poached egg on toast with sausages and although not on the set menu there was no problem in preparing. Very tasty also.

This is the type of guest house that would make Alex Polizzi (Hotel Inspector) very proud as the attention to details such as cleanliness, comfort, attentiveness of the staff and the breakfast are 5 star. I will return

Neil H

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Westswell007
Wirral
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Given the price of this B&B, I really wasn't expecting much at all. But I was pleasantly surprised! No it's not a luxury stay, but the room was freshly decorated, spotlessly clean, had good quality bedding and an incredibly thick (and comfy) mattress. The owners were exceptionally friendly without being intrusive. I will definitely be staying again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Nic C
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2013

We booked two rooms at the Athol House hotel during the Manx GP week and found it to be eminently clean,comfortable and well run. Adrienne and her Daughter Kate worked tirelessly to ensure we enjoyed our stay and I can't recommend the guest house highly enough! A great B&B in the old tradition - and excellent value!

Room Tip: My friends were disabled and found the stairs difficult but Adrienne managed to find them a room on...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Peter W
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Athol House what a great place to stay.Lovely friendly family,They could not do enough for you.
first class in cleanliness. this was my second visit and I will return again.
Amazing breakfast. Great location.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends