“hard working and excellent value for money”
Review of Caledonia Hotel

Caledonia Hotel
Ranked #17 of 32 Douglas B&B and Inns
Ledbury, United Kingdom
“hard working and excellent value for money”
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Great family run hotel with excellent facilities for the money. Super breakfasts every day ...excellent kippers !!

I left my headphones behind and they posted them on ... very kind and thoughtful of them !

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Dungannon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We stayed in the Caledonia from 24-27th April. On arrival we felt our room was a bit small so Mrs Hayman was only too happy to relocate us to a much bigger room - she even carried our luggage for us. The sea view room was spacious, clean, warm, free wi-fi, tea making facilities etc, plenty hot water and a lift to all floors. Breakfast was cooked to order and served hot to your table with the offer of extra tea and toast. Unlike other hotels on the Queens Prom the Caledonia has only 4 steps to climb to enter the hotel which for me was great and is reasonably priced.

Room Tip: If you have stayed here before and liked your room - remember the number and Mrs Hayman will do her...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Douglas, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2014

My Sister and law and myself stayed last weekend on a deal break and we were treated no different than a full paying customer. Mrs Hayman is a very good host. The food was superb and the room was lovely with a great shower!

We had a great time.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

We booked for 2 nights but only stayed one. The first impression of the room, room 19, was ok, but then we got on the bed and could feel the springs poking out. We complained and they turned the mattress over and put an extra duvet between us and the mattress. It didn't help. We then tried to shower in the evening but couldn't as the shower and sink only ran with ice cold water. We skipped the evening shower in the hope of getting a warm one in the morning. Alas, still ice cold water from the taps. We complained again and the owner displayed no concern so we checked out and went elsewhere. Let this be a warning if you stay here!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We bought a special discount voucher including an evening meal in the hotels excellent Chinese restaurant (The Imperial Dragon) followed by an overnight stay and full breakfast.

The food was very good both during the evening meal and at breakfast. The staff were fantastic and very helpful. We had a sea view, which was lovely and the room was well appointed and clean. We will definitely stay again.

There is plenty of parking close by and the hotel does have a lift. Value for money is excellent!

Room Tip: Wednesday night is Banquet night in the restaurant which is very good value for money.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank manxman12345
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Had a four night stay over the New Year period in a small back bedroom on the second floor despite there being only one other hotel guest! Yes we were offered a room with a view but as we live on the coast anyway didn't see the point in paying extra.

The shower room/toilet had to be negotiated sideways as it was so small so is no good for anyone carrying any extra pounds!

Friendly manager and hotel owner who came each morning to cook the breakfast. But oh dear the evening waitress could barely understand the English language so orders were continually repeated even for a jug of iced water which arrived as a couple of ice cubes in a glass which she then poured water onto before taking the jug away again! Also completely forgot to bring the rice to accompany the meal which as we were short for time did without. On bringing this to the managers attention he did give us a 50% discount but it was a shame as the meal did taste very good and they were not at all busy!

Regarding the hotels décor its clearly due refurbishment throughout along with most seafront hotels in Douglas. Some are being updated but it was also sad to see most establishments were closed so really not much choice during the winter months. Not much going on either so don't bother with the IOM in winter unless you're into masochistic wet winter walks!!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Stan S
Superior, Wisconsin, USA
Reviewed 28 October 2013 via mobile

I Made My Reservation Over The Phone From The US And Confirmed Via Email. I Did Receive A Midnight Phone Call From My Credit Card Company A Few Weeks Later When TheyTried To Run My Card Prior To My Stay. I Called And Didn't Get A Good Explanation.
Location Is Nice--Right On The Main Drag. I Walked From The Ferry. Checking In And GettingTo My Room Was Easy. They Do Have A Small Lift, which Was Nice. (The Other Place I StayedIn Douglas, The Ellan Vannin, Was Amazing (!), But I Was On The Top Floor With No Lift.)
Breakfast Was Standard, But Nice.
Check Out Is At 10, Which I FoundTo Be Early. It Took Me Longer To Repack Than I Anticipated And At 9:55, I Had A Knock AtThe Door From A Woman (Staff) Telling Me They Would Charge Me If I Didn't Get Moving. I've Never Had Something Like That Happen anywhere, And Couldn't Believe They Were Pressuring Me Five Minutes Before Check Out. It Wouldn't Be My First Choice In Douglas, But It Wouldn't Be My Last Either.

• Stayed June 2013