“Damp damp damp!”
Review of Acacia Boutique

Acacia Boutique
Ranked #35 of 36 Douglas B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 September 2012 via mobile

We travelled to the island for a 4 night break travelling iver on the ferry. Travelling down the prom You could easily miss the entrance which is squeezed in between a small arcade of shops and Thai restaurant.. Which also forms part of the hotel, the reception is part if the restaurant.. Not ideal. If you don't like stairs, don't choose this hotel, it has no lift and the stairs are steep and narrow. We had the last available room, we had to make our own way up four flights to the attic room at the back of the building (room11) when we entered you could smell the damp in this small pokey what they called a double boutique room.. It barely gave you room to walk around the bed, the window faced the back and was filthy, the wall by the window was soaking wet, the bathroom was ancient.. No manner of fancy furnishings could improve this room and was certainly a health and safety risk..
We complained, we were offered a move after 2 nights when another room became available.. No way were we staying in a damp smelly room for £79 a night.. We walked...
The owner was apoligetic and found us a cleaner hotel room a few doors down for £59.
Acacia careful you could loose part of your rating if you keep trying to rent this room, it makes you wonder what the others are Like?

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Tash0389

Reviewed 12 September 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights with my partner and her parents and my dog and we were all very pleased with our stay.

I had read the negative reviews just days before we were due to go, and I was disappointed to hear that it was so negatively reviewed. My experience (and that of my family) was quite different to that of those writing negative reviews. We had a great time, were very comfortable and were made to feel very welcome

Plus points:
Great breakfast. It was hot hearty and sufficient. There was plenty of choice, and the wait staff were very willing to bring whatever was wanted to the table.
Large comfortable room. We stayed in the sea-view double, (6) which was superb. There was loads of room, and the bathroom was a decent size. The bed was incredibly comfortable, the sheets were clean and soft. Decor was unusual, but interesting.
Staff. Staff were always willing to help, carrying cases up the stairs for us all, bringing fresh milk to the room within minutes of me phoning reception, serving superb Thai food in the restaurant of the hotel.

Negative points
No lift (which we knew about, but is still a negative).
Very little fruit at breakfast, and the cooked breakfasts arrived at different times.

Oh, and there were a few broken tiles in the bathroom, but this did not affect my stay at all. I am sorry for those other guests who found this distressing.

Room Tip: Rm 6 is superb.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Nadine P
Reviewed 25 August 2012

It was a blustery stormy night in August! No better a place to come to we felt. There was free parking on the sea-front, we were inexplicably upgraded on arrival by a lady who knew our names without looking in a book.
Room service from the Thai restaurant downstairs was with us in 15mins whilst we relaxed with a DVD. Our suite of rooms included bath, shower, lounge and two balconies with an almost 180 degree sea-view! Decor was very modern and newly done.
We appreciated the lovely breakfast being served til 10am and not needing to leave til gone 11.
A place to come back to one day we hope!

Room Tip: If possible do go for the suite
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank barneyr457
Reviewed 1 November 2011

My first impressions of the hotel were not very good. The reception desk was manned by a very young, very quiet young man who was polite but not much help. We struggled to get our cases up the stairs as there is no lift. We were on the second to top floor. The stairs are bare wood painted green and grey so it can be very noisy. Not so bad for us as we were on one of the upper floors but I can imagine it would be unbearable if you were on one of the lower floors, having people clatter by your door at all hours. We had a cleaning supplies cupboard just outside our room which was visited regularly at all hours.

The floors are bare painted wood and the walls are painted brick. There are no pictures on the wall and no mirror apart from a small dressing table mirror. I would have appreciated a full length mirror and there was certainly room for one as the room was spacious. Overall the room initially felt very bare. On the bed there was a bath towel and a hand towel between the two of us. On our way out I requested that more towels be supplied and they were put into the room while we were out so top marks for the quick response.

I have to say that the room did grow on me. I liked the large wardrobe, the WI FI and the flat screen TV mounted on the wall. The room was clean and the towels were changed daily. The hotel accepts dogs which was a huge bonus for us as was the hotels proximity to the beach. Parking is not a major issue as that section of the promenade is not very busy and has free 24 hour parking. Considering that the hotel is newly refurbished, the bathroom was a major let down. There were several cracked tiles and the paintwork was a bit sloppy. Body wash and Shampoo were provided and a small soap which was nice but not local. There was no shower just a shower attachment on the bath taps and no shower curtain. I thought this was a bad decision by the hotel owners. Fortunately the bath filled quickly and we are bath people but I am sure some people will miss not having a shower.

The breakfast was poor. On offer was some fruit salad in a Tupperware bowl that didn't look very fresh and some warm yoghurt. Cereals in tatty boxes and standard cooked breakfast that wasn't very nice. The service lacked personality or warmth. We felt anonymous from check in to checkout. It felt like the hotel had been left in the hands of teenagers.

I thought the hotel was very overpriced for the facilities on offer but we had a very nice holiday as we always do on the Island. They seem to interpret the word Boutique to mean warehouse, or industrial. I was expecting a touch of luxury, especially for the price but the overall experience was spartan and lacking in character.

With a little more attention to the rooms and a bit more personality from the people in charge this could be a very good hotel but it just missed the mark for us.

Room Tip: Certainly make sure that you are not on an upper floor if you have young children or any mobility is...
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank BridgnorthWinterfish
Reviewed 27 September 2011

I booked to stay at this hotel after buying a discount voucher from a voucher website.

Before booking I visited the hotel's website which made the hotel look very nice.

On arrival we were given the keys to our room which was located at the back of the hotel therefore our view was of an old fire escape meaning we had to keep the curtains closed the whole time.

The furniture in the rooms looks brand new and is very modern and tasteful. There are bedside tables, a desk and a large wardrobe with plenty of hanging space. The room also has a flat screen TV with freeview.

However there is no mirror in the room (bar the bathroom mirror) which means it is almost impossible to put your make up on, do your hair or even have a look at what you look like before you go out. The main light fitting was also hanging precauriously.

The bathroom on the other hand was old fashioned and there were tiles missing from the walls. It was a good size but for some reason only had a bath and a hand held shower which really isn't what people are looking for out of a hotel stay.

On the plus side however the bed was incredibly comfortable and the pillows and duvet were excellent quality.

This hotel is not suitable for anyone who has mobility issues as all of the rooms are up steep flights of stairs and there is no lift.

The hotel and rooms are not carpeted - simply painted wooden floorboards. I didn't particuarly mind this but my other half thought it was strange.

Around the hotel it was easy to spot the bits that had been done in a rush and there were areas which needed a quick touch up which would have improved the overall appearance.

Breakfast is served in the New Manilla restaurant and I was thoroughly dissapointed. We both ordered a full English breakfast and it was served stone cold. The views from the restaurant onto Douglas Promenade however are excellent!

All in all I would not stay here again. I paid £40 for the voucher to stay here and while I think this stay was probably worth this I would not pay the advertised £90 to stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a seaview!
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TtravelH
Reviewed 8 September 2011

Upon late night arrival we were shown to our double room number 8. The room was very poorly finished and too small to accommodate two adults for example the enterance door hit a wall as you opened it six inches, the wardrobe doors would not open fully due to it's proximity to the bed. The small en-suite had not been recenntly been refurbished as advertised. Tiles were broken, mold was visible even after a poor attempt to cover with sealant. The paint finish was clearly lacking the professional touch. We complained the next morning and we were moved a day later into a much larger room. This was a bit better in the finish apart from the bathroom had not recently refurbished again it had tiles broken, door unable to close and bath taps had plumbing tape wrapped around them. We then encountered the major problem in the hotel, all the floors were painted including the 7 flights of stairs. This caused such a noise with the pounding of feet. Also no sound proofing eg, the room above a lady was walking around in heels at 2am for 20 minutes. Towels were that new they were shedding fluff and did not absorb water had to resort to toilet roll to dry. Staff are clearly still learning, communication to customers needs to improve for example when the electricity failed they should have clearly stated what the could provide in the situation instead of letting one order full breakfasts including toast then letting the customer wait for 30 minutes without further explanation.
There very nice website is misleading into what the hotel offers this in my opinion was no where near to boutique hotel standards more like YMCA...

• Stayed: August 2011
4  Thank Lizlauk
Reviewed 31 August 2011

Have to agree decor of room was nice but that is the only positive thing I can say about this hotel. My husband and I travelled with our 1-year old daughter and my younger sister. Our room was at the 'top of the house' - no lift available therefore you can imagine the fun we had carrying a 1-year old, her buggy and all belongings up the many many flights of stairs several times per day. On check-in I asked for a travel cot for our daughter - I was told there was only one available and it was already in use therefore none for us. We had to pay the bill in full on check-in - I did inform the receptionist that I didn't think this was good policy but agreed to pay. The first morning in the middle of drying my hair the electricity was cut off - obviously no back up supply therefore had to proceed down stairs for breakfast with wet hair. The lack of electricity also provided a problem downstairs. The menu looked great but unfortunately only a fraction of what is on the menu was actually available. On ordering breakfast we were told they had ran out of bacon and due to the electricity being off were unable to obtain any more - not sure why!? They were also unable to provide any toast. When we received our breakfast it was luke warm, as was the coffee. The breakfast on the second morning was not much better! On check out I asked to speak to the manager regarding our issues. He provided no explanation or apology. He said he'd speak to the owner and she would contact me to discuss the issues. I am still waiting for anyone to contact me from the hotel!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank ail36
Also consider these accommodations in or near Douglas
Empress Hotel
#28 of 36 in Douglas
Cunard Apartments
Cunard Apartments
#8 of 10 in Douglas

Been to Acacia Boutique? Share your experiences!