“Four Night Break In Doooglas”
Review of The Welbeck Hotel

The Welbeck Hotel
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Douglas
Reviewed 28 January 2013

Booked for an out of season break. Got a great deal (3 nights paid for and a 4th for free) and it turned out to be v.good value for money.
Set back from seafront which is good for news for traffic noise but if you want a sea view you may need to be on the upper floors. Position was decent too, a short walk into town but not too close that its too busy/noisy. Managed to park close by each evening which you can't do on the seafront (or if you can, its limited in time).
Spotlessly clean room (quite roomy too which was nice), decor throughout the hotel was a little dated in colour etc but certainly not tatty and decorating was in progress so may change soon anyway. Room facilities were good and everything worked - the shower was very powerful and I had to keep dragging myself out of it as it was a nice place to be.
Staff were not overly friendly sometimes compared to other people we met on the island this week, nobody was rude and reception did help us out with our questions nicely but at breakfast a few more smiles would have brightened out mornings a little more. Nothing major - just a hint :-)
We don't deal with noise very well (we were away for a rest) and our room was nice and quiet despite facing onto the road (3rd floor) we also didn't get much noise from other guests (some hotels seem to have doors that only slam loudly and can't be closed gently - this one didn't).
Our king sized bed was very comfortable too - all in all we had a very restful stay - which is kind of the point.
I would definitely book here again - which I guess is the important bit.

Room Tip: Third floor overlooking the sea was a nice quiet room (we are not good with noise).
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank skiesnpies

Reviewed 16 December 2012

A very friendly privately run hotel. The rooms are very clean and well maintained as is the rest of the hotels . There is a very combatable bar and a restaurant that serves a good selection of quality meals at a reasonable price. The staff are very friendly and make you feel very welcome, nothing is to much trouble. Worth considering if you are looking for accommodation in Douglas

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Andrew M
Reviewed 11 December 2012

I used this hotel on 2 bushiness trips each of a week in length. When I am coming back I will not be looking to stay anywhere else.
Family business, modern, clean and very friendly staff, the food was very good ( I am a bit fussy) and I ate here every night.
IF YOUR THINKING OF STAYING HERE STOP[ THINKING AND JUST DO IT !!!!!!

Room Tip: Delux are what I would expect.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank HaroldFloyd
Reviewed 29 November 2012

I had a job on the Isle of Man and the Welbeck was pretty close to the customer and well reviewed, so I made a reservation. Not sure why people had made adverse remarks about the place-I had a lovely large clean room and have nothing but praise for all the staff I encountered. Pleasant relaxed atmosphere in the bar where I had a very nice curry, although I regret not having the red snapper with roasted red peppers. Had I been there for two nights that would have been my choice. Maybe next time. I'll certainly stay there again next time a job comes up in Douglas.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 October 2012

Went to the Welbeck last Saturday with friends visiting from England. We knew we would have a good meal and we were not disappointed. There's so much choice and the chef will cater for individual requests. Service as always was very good and the staff are welcoming and friendly.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Manxie52
Reviewed 11 October 2012

Just stayed at the hotel for a couple of nights whilst working locally. The rooms were very clean and tidy and service very friendly. Being located just off the sea front meant it was lovely and quiet although I still has a sea view (third floor). Very good value for money and would definitely stay there again

Room Tip: stay on the third floor and above and you still get a sea view. The local Kippers were the best choi...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 October 2012

Finding a great hotel on IoM is impossible. So what would only warrant 1 or 2 stars elsewhere has to be upgraded here! The facilities are tired but the staff are great and so is the food. The location is pretty handy too.

Room Tip: Try and get a sea view
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
WelbeckWalker, Owner at The Welbeck Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2012

We were very disappointed to read that John S found our facilities to be 'Tired' as we are constantly refurbishing them, as much as time and budget allows.
With regard to the grading system, I completely agree that the 'guest accommodation' 'B&B' etc. should be removed from the star system as it does confuse customers and 3 or 4 star is not always what they would expect.
However, The Welbeck is a three star HOTEL and having travelled around British Isles, Europe and beyond, usually staying in 3 & 4 star establishments, it seems to us that we have to do far more on the Isle of Man to achieve our gradings.