“Friendly service, good value”
Review of Admiral House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Douglas
Admiral House
Ranked #14 of 15 Hotels in Douglas
Reviewed 18 May 2014

The room was massive and we were lucky to have a room facing the sea with two massive bay windows. It was lovely to wake up looking out over the sea.

The hotel is a little old fashioned but we found it to be clean and more than adequate for our needs for a three night stay. The staff were extremely helpful. For example, replacing a faulty hair dryer straight away and offering advice on where to eat.

Parking was easy... We used the permit system and parked opposite the hotel with ease (for free).There is a max stay of two hours during the day but if you're out and about like we were this didn't matter.

We didn't try breakfast in the adjoining restaurant and found cheaper breakfasts elsewhere. There is a restaurant attached to the hotel which is quite pricey and it didn't seem that busy. I'm addition to this there is a coffee shop attached also. Downstairs there is a bar where you can get reasonably priced cocktails and listen to some live music.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

The hotel itself is ok, the rooms were clean etc. the worst part of the stay is the breakfast. Every morning you wait at least 40 minutes from when you give your order until you see any food. The coffee is cheap and not very warm when you receive it. It is certainly not the coffee they serve in the attached coffee bar Ig's. This is proper coffee from the coffee made fresh from the bean. Obviously too good for the hotels paying guests, they have to make do with cheap Nescafé. The place has no organisation or structure as the staff don't know what each is doing or responsible for. You are asked what your room number is from at least three different members of staff. Then they will all ask again have you ordered. The experience is chaos, best to book room only and eat out for breakfast or better still book somewhere with breakfast but is managed well to avoid the Faulty Tower experience.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jayflynn19
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Excellent location a few minutes walk from the ferry. 7 of us stayed the first and last nights of the coastal path walk and they were more than happy to allow us to leave some luggage so we had a change of clothes for the last night. Room 305 clean, spacious, comfortable and well equipped. Breakfast was good quality, well cooked and pleasantly served.
1 criticism. The last check in time for the morning ferry is 08.20 and breakfast doesn't start until 8am. Whilst they accommodated our request for an earlier breakfast some guests may not ask. Would make sense for a hotel that serves the ferry to ensure breakfast times coincide with the departure times

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 April 2014

If staying in an old fashioned sea side hotel then this is for you , large no frills rooms sea views and warmish water for your shower. If you also like old fashioned service from a bye gone era then again this is for you provided you also like public rebukes that "there is no breakfast for you as it wasn't in your package and no you can't pay for it " then again the Admiral is for you . Can't wait to go back

Room Tip: Go somewhere else if you can
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank DP1492
Reviewed 7 February 2014

I have stayed in this hotel twice now and always been very pleased with the room, services, and public spaces. It's in a great location overlooking the bay and a short walk into town, which is lovely for a ramble. I have always stayed on business as a solo traveller before, but may well book a short break for leisure purposes as the island has a charm all of it's own and is a great way to get away from it all. The locals are very friendly and helpful too.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Clearaschristal
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Stayed here on business. The location is excellent, right in the heart of Douglas. The room was spacious but cold as a consequence. Staff provided an additional radiator and this helped a little. The most disappointing was breakfast. On my first day the sausages and bacon were undercooked (cold and oink in the middle) whilst the poached eggs were overcooked (solid yolks). I mentioned this to the waiter and asked him to pass this on to chef. The following morning I had precisely the same problem. The waiter told me he had mentioned it and was quite apologetic. I returned the meal and it came back a little better but not much. The restaurant here seems to have a good reputation but this put me off eating in. Sorry to focus on the negative but it really spoilt the experience, especially as it was repeated and not a one off. Otherwise the stay was okay based upon cleanliness, room etc.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 November 2013

I was in the Isle of Man for 4 days running a shop fitting job in town, not really looking forward to staying here in November, but my opinion changed after a day or two at the Admiral House Hotel.

Booked through my company who don't normally come up trumps with accommodation, however this was a pleasant change, I found the hotel less than 5 mins from the Ferry & minutes from the main st where I was to work. After a friendly welcome I was given a room which to be honest didn't have a great view but this was more than made up for by the high standard of furniture, fixtures & space available in it, the bathroom was the size of a Travelodge room, flat screen & huge storage space.

For tourists the Tram stop is outside, you can walk to the Main St & cross the road to paddle on the beach. I did move rooms as more of us were staying after the 1st night and luckily I was upgraded to an Executive room with Sea view, again this was huge and well furnished with the added benefit of the view.

Igis's Cafe bar which is within the hotel served great coffee & snacks throughout the day, with friendly staff, this place came in really handy as we were working nights and we could catch a late breakfast here. The one night we used JAR Bar & Grill downstairs this was also impressive in decor, food and of course attentive staff on hand. They were busy refurbishing the soon to open JAR restaurant and this is looking very impressive and would be worth trying out.

A mention for the night staff as we were working late & getting back late each night, they were really accommodating in our late night requests for a beer & sometimes toast.

I'd take my family back here next time rather than my work colleagues, yes it's that good !

Room Tip: Sea View recommended.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business