“Great as usual”
Review of Admiral House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Douglas
Admiral House
Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in Douglas
Rochdale, United Kingdom
“Great as usual”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Ive stayed here lots of times and always had a great stay.
Always on business, so the location is key for me. This hotel is a 1 minute drive from the ferry, and slap bang next to everything. The executive sea front rooms are overlooking the bay, the prom, and where I park my car. High ceilings and long heavy curtains, which keep most of the sunlight out are a feature. Huge bed and large bathroom, compliment the big rooms. The wifi is a problem, but the breakfast is very good. The restaurant is recently renovated with large "banksie" murals, the large eyes on one of the paintings is a little off putting which seem to watch you eat. However the whole effect is great. I will be back here again.

Room Tip: go for an executive sea view room
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Stayed as part of large group, our room 401 executive suite was fab, very clean, no complaints. Food was a different matter, staff seemed surprised that we expected veg with meals and potatoes. Only chips on offer most nights, desserts very repetitive all served with ice cream. The wait for our meals was endless. The staff were very pleasant but in dire need of some training. They worked hard but the the phrase "headless chicken" springs to mind.
Staff smoking on the hotel front steps is also very off putting.We don't have plans to visit the Isle of Man again, but if we did, we would try different accommodation. One plus factor for this hotel is that it is very close to the ferry terminal.

Room Tip: Room 401,was very quiet.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Bay Area, CA
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We stayed here 2 nights, 3 days, right after the TT races. in June. Room 207 was roomy with a king size bed and walk-in shower. We did not have the wait for breakfast as one other guest complains about. No more than 8-10 minute wait for the cooked breakfast. Bread, croissants, yogurt, cereal, milk and juice available immediately on the buffet table.

For the best value, book directly with the hotel. We got breakfast included by doing so.and got the corporate rate.

The restaurant, JAR, is Michelin recommended, which we have found to be good recommendation for fine food.

The location is perfect, about 7 minute walk to the ferry terminal, horse tram stops right in front, bus from the airport across the street at the corner, steam train station about 10 minutes away. Post office is next door, pedestrian shopping street right in back. To get back to the airport, take the bus (25 minutes) and save yourself 25 Euros.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GoTravelNowCA
Cheltenham
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I had a few issues with the room nothing major, sink full of dirty water on arrival receptionist smoking at the font door when exiting and a few other minor stuff. I was staying to the TT for one night so I didn't bother complaint other that about the wifi which never worked at all even after complaint. So I get home & decide to email the hotel about the failings, I did say in my email "What can you do to restore my faith and give you a good review on trip advisor" now this was said because I am a strong believer its not how you fix something its how you deal with the complaint.
Because of that sentence I was accused by the Manager of trying to blackmail the hotel in an attacking email. I complained about this email to be promised it would be passed to the hotel owner. I have sent two further emails asking what if anything is happening. Not even a reply from the owner manager nothing.
I mentioned I wasn't going to bother doing a review after all the hassle but not having a reply since I think it deserves one.

The hotel wil no doubt attack my report but hotel staff have you replied to me requesting contact in the last two emails? NO
Below is a list of problems I had:

Ok first reason, when I booked the room, the booking said the room had a bath, it didn't. Room 206.
2. the shower head was broken leaking everywhere & suddenly going hot then cold water.
3. the wifi never worked once even after informing you it wasn't working it didn't get fixed.
4. The boss or manager not sure which blowing ciggerate smoke on the door step as I walked out Saturday evening.
5. Breakfast was cold, tried to explain to the male waiter who didn't seem too interested so I had to eat it.
6. Same waiter asked could I have another coffee because of a funny taste, looked at me like I was talking German, he said to me "we don't do any other coffee" I requested can I have a fresh coffee because if the taste eventually I got one ten minutes later having sat waiting.
7. The shower door was extremely stiff, also with the rubber seal dangling about, which drowned the floor when having a shower.
8. I nearly forgot this one, when I entered the room having checked into your the sink was full of dirty water in my room.

To sum it up the minor issues with the room no big deal but needed saying but the contact after has been terrible accusing me of trying to blackmail and not replying..
Thanks Admiral and for £180 quid for one night too expensive for anytime let alone the TT.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank IRISH5699
Douglas, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Had a wonderfull stay in the Admiral House Hotel rooms are very large and comfartable staff lovely and the main Restaurant JAR is a total experience in its self large menu wonderfull choice and the food was fantastic the owner of the Hotel & restaurant is there most days and nights lovely couple waiting staff also on top form in all a fantastic place to stay and eat when on the Isle of Man

Room Tip: all the front room are the best
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Hagley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

The room was massive and we were lucky to have a room facing the sea with two massive bay windows. It was lovely to wake up looking out over the sea.

The hotel is a little old fashioned but we found it to be clean and more than adequate for our needs for a three night stay. The staff were extremely helpful. For example, replacing a faulty hair dryer straight away and offering advice on where to eat.

Parking was easy... We used the permit system and parked opposite the hotel with ease (for free).There is a max stay of two hours during the day but if you're out and about like we were this didn't matter.

We didn't try breakfast in the adjoining restaurant and found cheaper breakfasts elsewhere. There is a restaurant attached to the hotel which is quite pricey and it didn't seem that busy. I'm addition to this there is a coffee shop attached also. Downstairs there is a bar where you can get reasonably priced cocktails and listen to some live music.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

The hotel itself is ok, the rooms were clean etc. the worst part of the stay is the breakfast. Every morning you wait at least 40 minutes from when you give your order until you see any food. The coffee is cheap and not very warm when you receive it. It is certainly not the coffee they serve in the attached coffee bar Ig's. This is proper coffee from the coffee made fresh from the bean. Obviously too good for the hotels paying guests, they have to make do with cheap Nescafé. The place has no organisation or structure as the staff don't know what each is doing or responsible for. You are asked what your room number is from at least three different members of staff. Then they will all ask again have you ordered. The experience is chaos, best to book room only and eat out for breakfast or better still book somewhere with breakfast but is managed well to avoid the Faulty Tower experience.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends