“Great location and an enjoyable stay...” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Admiral House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Douglas
Admiral House
Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in Douglas
Leeds, England
“Great location and an enjoyable stay...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

A friend and I booked two executive rooms for two nights in early July 2014. We arrived as foot passengers on the ferry and it was a short walk to the hotel. Check in was prompt and amusing, especially when I was told that my room (402) was on the third floor and my friend's (301) was on the second floor. Ah well ! My room was very spacious with a spotless, smartly tiled bathroom with bath and over-bath shower. I had a comfortable bed with four large fluffy pillows. There was also a flat screen TV and tea making facilities. The wardrobe contained a 'free to use' safe. The room was at the front of the hotel and had a great view of Douglas bay. My friend's room was even more spacious on the corner of the building. I enjoyed peaceful sleep, although my friend was disturbed by drunks in the street, due to him leaving his windows open. Breakfast was excellent. On both mornings I had the full English breakfast which included scrambled egg, bacon, black pudding, sausage and hash brown. It was well cooked and delicious. Self service applied for cereals, juices and toast. Service was courteous by the mainly young European staff. As we arrived on Sunday evening we decided to dine in the 'JAR' restaurant in the basement. After a beer we ordered a couple of burgers. My friend ordered beef and was asked by our Bulgarian waiter how he would like it cooked. He opted for medium. I was surprised to be asked how I would like my Chicken burger cooked ! My answer was just that - "Cooked !" Service was very slow, considering we were the only two in the restaurant. My heart sank when the food arrived. A small flattened, grilled chicken breast sat atop a dry half bun, whilst the other half which was meant to be covered in "salsa" had lettuce, four slices of tomato and slices of dill pickle. Frozen style chips completed this lacklustre offering. It was poor and it was expensive. A bad decision ! Subsequent meals taken elsewhere proved to be delicious and reasonably priced. On our third day we checked out and left our luggage with reception to collect prior to our evening ferry home. I liked the hotel and will stay again whilst giving the basement restaurant a very wide berth. We paid £90 pppn for B&B and were very happy with the quality of the hotel and the comfort we enjoyed.

Room Tip: Splurge on a seaview executive room for space and a bit of luxury....
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Gordon T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

Lovely hotel right on the sea front, a stones throw from the Ferry terminal.
On arrival we were met in reception and checked in with no issues. Went up to our room (201) and it was GORGEOUS!!! A huge room with big bathroom that was more than adequate for our needs. Lovely big windows that you can sit in and watch the world go by up and down the prom. Really can't fault anything with check in and the room.
Breakfast however is where the hotel can really improve. The breakfast room is big and clean but some of the staff were lacking in communication skills and smiles.
The first morning we were told to take a seat and then no one came to us for ages, it wasn't explained to us that if we wanted tea or coffee we had to help ourselves so we sat like lemons for a bit wondering if it was going to be offered to us or not.
We ordered a full english each which took over 40 minutes to arrive so we were thankful not to be under any time constraints, once it arrived it was fabulous but could of been delivered with a bit more enthusiasim and a smile. One girl in particular huffed and puffed everytime someone asked her for something and would then return and just plonk it down in front of you without saying a word.
There was a table with cereal, bread, juice, fruit etc on which they kept letting run out of things and it was guests that were asking for things to be replaced, I felt that the staff should of kept a better eye on the table and been replacing things without being prompted.
We stayed 3 nights and unfortunately the breakfast service was shabby each morning, couldn't fault the food though, just the service.
Would be interested to see how they manage when it's busy or through TT week when everyone is in a rush to have breakfast and leave to get to their watching spots before the roads are closed ;)
I would definately stay here again, in fact already looking to come back in a couple of months, it would be nice to see an improvement in staff attitudes and helpfulness though :)

Room Tip: Ask for the Executive Room with the Sea View
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Jodie R
Athens
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

Like a previous reviewer I would consider that the hotel could be improved with some effort.
As a business traveler, it just doesn't make the standard that is expected of a hotel for the discerning business traveler.
Reception and check-in is fine, with pleasant staff and an easy process.
It really is the rooms that let the hotel down. I was in a suite and whilst large, the carpets were dirty and the room looked tired and old fashioned.
Personally, I was not happy with how the bed was made up. A sheet straight onto the mattress is not acceptable, I would expect a mattress protector. The sheet was clean, however I couldn't bring myself to look at the mattress.
I had breakfast each morning and would describe it as acceptable, the coffee needs to be improved however as it just didn't taste very nice.
We were going to have dinner at the hotel, but the nights we were there, the restaurant was closed - quite strange for the high season!
The free Wi-Fi is good and worked really well.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank WorkinginAthens
Preston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

Admiral House is a 3* on the sea front at Douglas.
We stayed in the four poster turret suit, which although it was a little shabby chic, it was a fantastic room with views of Douglas the harbour & the beach.
It hotels food is excellent
The town centre is right next to the hotel
It is somewhere I would certainly return too again.

Stayed July 2014
Rochdale, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

Ive stayed here lots of times and always had a great stay.
Always on business, so the location is key for me. This hotel is a 1 minute drive from the ferry, and slap bang next to everything. The executive sea front rooms are overlooking the bay, the prom, and where I park my car. High ceilings and long heavy curtains, which keep most of the sunlight out are a feature. Huge bed and large bathroom, compliment the big rooms. The wifi is a problem, but the breakfast is very good. The restaurant is recently renovated with large "banksie" murals, the large eyes on one of the paintings is a little off putting which seem to watch you eat. However the whole effect is great. I will be back here again.

Room Tip: go for an executive sea view room
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Lincoln, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

Stayed as part of large group, our room 401 executive suite was fab, very clean, no complaints. Food was a different matter, staff seemed surprised that we expected veg with meals and potatoes. Only chips on offer most nights, desserts very repetitive all served with ice cream. The wait for our meals was endless. The staff were very pleasant but in dire need of some training. They worked hard but the the phrase "headless chicken" springs to mind.
Staff smoking on the hotel front steps is also very off putting.We don't have plans to visit the Isle of Man again, but if we did, we would try different accommodation. One plus factor for this hotel is that it is very close to the ferry terminal.

Room Tip: Room 401,was very quiet.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Bay Area, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

We stayed here 2 nights, 3 days, right after the TT races. in June. Room 207 was roomy with a king size bed and walk-in shower. We did not have the wait for breakfast as one other guest complains about. No more than 8-10 minute wait for the cooked breakfast. Bread, croissants, yogurt, cereal, milk and juice available immediately on the buffet table.

For the best value, book directly with the hotel. We got breakfast included by doing so.and got the corporate rate.

The restaurant, JAR, is Michelin recommended, which we have found to be good recommendation for fine food.

The location is perfect, about 7 minute walk to the ferry terminal, horse tram stops right in front, bus from the airport across the street at the corner, steam train station about 10 minutes away. Post office is next door, pedestrian shopping street right in back. To get back to the airport, take the bus (25 minutes) and save yourself 25 Euros.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple