“Brilliant except for the foreign staff”
Review of Admiral House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Douglas
Admiral House
Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Douglas
Reviewed 16 February 2010

I stayed at Admiral House this weekend and it was a really good hotel. I had breakfast and although it wasn't up to much it was quite enjoyable. The only issue i had with the hotel which may seem very petty however to me this was a huge let down to the hotel. I arrived at the hotel to find a couple of peple (what i asumed to be guests) at the reception desk, however after standing there for several minutes i realised that this was not the case. I now believe that these people where friends/family of the receptionist. Not only did i have to wait while they finished their conversation in what i think was polish whilst being checked in i had several pairs of eyes watching me, which made me feel slightly uncomfortable, when i enquired about restaurants, bars etc. an english speaking gentleman had to step in and assist in giving me directions and even names of places i may like to eat/drink. I am not an unfair man however I think that someone in a front of house position such as this should speak almost perfect english. I was not shown where the lift was or even told which room i was in i was merely given a key to the room and a rectangular piece of cardboard. These words may sound harsh however i would certainly recommend this hotel to friends however the check in/out brought this hotel down. I would stay here again but not while there is a social event going on in the hotel lobby.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 December 2009

The rooms are a good size and have all that you need for your stay. There is a small cafe attached to the hotel which is busy through out the day, not only because it serves good food but because it is right next to the shops, post office very close as is M&S. The hotel entrance faces the promenade and it is only a short walk to the ferry terminal. Buses from the Airport (no. 1) stop at the main bus stops which are just around the corner. The staff are very friendly and helpful. We didn't dine in the restaurant but it looked very nice and there are plenty of places to eat out close by.

Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 November 2009

Perhaps I'm just used to London prices, I was preparing myself for a much lower standard given the rates. However, the room was enormous and well-appointed, the hotel's exterior handsome and the staff, like the locals, friendly and helpful. The seaside promenade location was perfect and a short walk to any sights you might want to see in Douglas.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank atodd1688
Reviewed 15 October 2009

The hotel has been subject to a quality assessment and you can see many things have canged to improve quality and customer expectations. The standards and cleanliness show vast improvement over the last 6 months.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank AragonPreston
Reviewed 4 July 2009

My room was at the top of the building so when my key didn't work I was a bit miffed about having to go all the way down in the rickety lift again with my bags! The hotel was in OK repair. It clearly was looked after at some point, but all the cream carpets are now heavily stained, the curtains haven't seen a washing machine for a LONG time, and the bedspreads... stain city. You get a wooly blanked and a sheet with it... they seemed clean enough. My room was at side of building so wasn't too noisey - maybe that would change ona weekend or during TT. Standard of cleaning is poor as I had a nice used soap in my bathroom and a used towel, as well as some clean ones. Wi-Fi is hard to get at the top of the building but it's possible if not intermittant. When asking for a drink in the bar opposite reception I was told I had to go downstairs... into the dark damp smelling cellar! Breakfast was in the cafe under the hotel - good coffee!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 26 June 2009

Had to go over on business for 2 nights - the cost was £85.00 per night including a limited breakfast. My room was massive. Unfortunately they hadn't fixed the TV on to the wall bracket so that when I went to pull it forwards it fell into my arms - God knows what would have happened if a child has touched it. The bathroom was massive too (easily big enough for 2 bathrooms!) and the staff were very polite. There is a posh-ish restaurant on the ground floor but I didn't get the chance to use it. A smallish bar in the basement is frequented by business people and appeared pleasant enough. The even sent a pint of local beer up to my room! For a medium budget hotel with a great seafront location I would recommend this hotel - it's not world beater but you look directly on to the bay and the horse drawn trams trotting up and down the promenade!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
4  Thank Everyoneawinner
Reviewed 28 October 2008

The hotel is clean but some areas are in need of an update. The staff are quite nice and try to be helpful but the ones I spoke with did not know the area well and can't provide directions, names of places to eat, etc. The room was very cold throughout my stay, the radiator was not warm enough to heat the room and I slept wearing long pants and a jumper and was still cold. The shower kept changing temperature, going from hot to cold. The room is quite noisy as I think the window is single pane so I could hear everything going on at the street. I should say that I did not contact mgmt about this so do not know what the response would have been. The breakfast and the service at breakfast was great. The coffee shop and Apertivo restaurant have been updated and I enjoyed the food and atmosphere. The coffee shops has great baked goods and teas. The wifi was also an added plus. Overall, not a bad hotel, my room and bathroom were very clean, the room had a nice LCD tv (only 9 channels though) and a comfortable bed and pillows. in terms of location, it is very close to the business district. it is a good, not great hoteI, but n need of an update and a bit overpriced in terms of the value.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank BusinessBunny