“Awful - Christmas Past”

Add it.
Haneffe's Bar & Grill at the Savoy
Ranked #50 of 154 Restaurants in Douglas
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Value for money. Varied menu and they serve the best fish & chips on the island. Go with a big appetite the portions are huge. Friendly family run business.
West Midlands, United Kingdom
“Awful - Christmas Past”
Reviewed 22 December 2012

Haneffe's was booked by a colleague for our team christmas party and we had the festive menu.

Quantity over quality does not equate to an enjoyable culinary experience.

My husband and I had the Chilli & Garlic Pan Fried Prawns to start. Four over cooked rubbery prawns (which tasted like they had been cooked in the microwave) were bland and inspirational and came with an extremely tired salad garnish.

My husband had ordered Roasted Peppers Stuffed With A Duxelle, Brie and Crumbs Then Grilled, with Vegetables. Awful. He couldn't eat it. There were two peppers which were drowning in some sort of white sauce (which wasn't expected and my husband doesn't like white sauces). It came with rock hard broccoli and cauliflower and a couple of limp carrots. It also came with a huge Yorkshire pudding and a hard stuffing ball...! "Luckily" one of our party didn't turn up and their braised sirloin steak was spare so the husband swapped his plate of peppers for the steak. It was the lesser of two evils.

I had the Traditional Turkey & Ham With All The Trimmings. It was slightly better than my husbands two dishes, but I did have a piece of string in my meal.

Cheese and biscuits was our dessert. They had obviously been left out of the fridge for a while. We didn't have a knife and there was no offer of one so we picked them up from a vacant table of which there were many.

Our 'meal' was supposed to have been completed with tea, coffee and minced pies. These didn't appear.

We ordered a bottle of wine. The young waiter advised that there was one bottle on the list wasn't available however when we made our choice, we were informed that that also wasn't available.

The staff were pleasant enough but not the most attentive.

The meal cost £27.95 — it wasn't worth half of that.

Other reviewers commented on the decor; they are correct. It really needs an overhaul. It is jaded and tired. There is mildew on the window frames, paper table cloths, tired crockery, cheap laminate flooring which is slippery. It's not accessible; the entrance to the restaurant is via the main hotel entrance which is up several steep steps (it's not clearly marked as the way in to the restaurant). If you have any disability, you may have problems getting in.

We won't be returning. Ever. And will not recommend to any friends or family.

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank Preciousbabyiom

douglas isle of man
“ONE THE BEST FOOD ON THE ISLAND”
Reviewed 19 December 2012

Having heard couple of good reviews on the food from mates... i decided to try it as i love eating out... was expecting it to be decent enough... but too my suprise the grub was absolutley beautiful... took the misses and kid with me and they both loved it... portions are massive and prices similar too lots of other places ice been too... service is sound too and on a good day its nice to have a table by the window looking onto the beach... would defo recommend it to people and ive been back quite afew times since....

1 Thank darren m
Douglas, United Kingdom
“Great food, great service & good price. Highly recomended.”
Reviewed 15 November 2012

I have eaten here twice and both times the food has been amazing and the service is first class. We had a perfect evening (again). We found out when we arrived that there are deals on in November. Even when I phoned to book the table, the lady I spoke to was really pleasant & friendly. Yes it needs a lick of paint, but you can't fault the food, the atmosphere or the service. Will definately be going again. I disagree that the food is expensive, I found it very reasonably priced on both occasions, even without the November deal.

• Visited November 2012
Isle of Man
“Expensive”
Reviewed 31 October 2012

Have eaten here on three occasions and have to say the prices are on the high side. This is fine but, when you are expected to pay top restaurant prices, you expece top restaurant food.

Sadly this isn't the case at Haneffe's.

Firstly the place itself is in need of a bit of TLC plus a big injection of cash as the decor (and the tables and chairs) are in urgent need of replacing. There are some nice views over the sea (from the window seats) but the whole interior needs a spruce up. It's not dirty.... just jaded!

All the dishes we ordered arrived piping hot but all of our party commented on the excessive use of garlic. There were enormous chunks of it in virtually every dish.

I was disappointed with the Beef Wellington which was basically a poor end cut of fillet flash baked in a piece of frozen pastry with an enormous mushroom and a huge slab of cheap pate.

Other dishes were ok but nobody was blown away. I think, because of the steep prices, we all just expected a bit too much.

Staff were a lot better than than the food.

Visited October 2012
Douglas, null, Isle Of Man
“Awful”
Reviewed 3 August 2012

Went there last week having read and heard rave reviews. Staff were pleasant but food was v poor. Pâté that tasted like it was straight from the hyper market. Chilled prawns you had to look for in the dish and fish batter that would have made good wallpaper paste. My chair was broken and paper table clothes! We will not be back!

Visited August 2012