“No point trying - CLOSED !”
Review of The Hop Gardens - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Hop Gardens
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 3 August 2013

What a shame that the new owners did not open for summer, they lost a whole season!
Will report back as and when the place wakes up

2  Thank SeaRider

Reviewed 17 March 2013

As we have been here before it changed hands and always been satisfied we decided to go for a family birthday treat. Five of us went on the 03/03/13. Two of the meals were of an acceptable level but the other three meals were not. I only had Pea and Ham soup which did not appear to contain any ham. It was also very spicy. I like spicy food but this did not go with this soup at all so I left half of it.
Two of our party had the Malaysian Curry which they had tried on a previous visit and liked it as it was quite mild.
This time, however, it was so hot it was burning their mouths and throats. One of them left most of it and the other struggled to eat about half of it. When we complained to the waitress she just said "That's just the way it is". Which is not the case as they had this curry on a previous occasion. They did not seem interested in the fact that most of our meals had not been enjoyed and left on the plates. One of our party also had a Latte and the glass beaker was only about two thirds full. As this drink was £2.95 I think asking for a full cup is not unreasonable. I assume the coffee machine needed refilling but this should have been noticed and rectified by the member of staff that served it. All in all a very unpleasant visit which we will not be repeating.
I wrote an email to The Hop Garden voicing our disappointed which was completely ignored, so I wrote again which also was ignored. This speaks volumes of how they regard their customers. There are many good restaurants on the Isle of Man, I suggest you try one of those. This one is definately Not Recommended.

1  Thank Manxmike535
Reviewed 11 March 2013

We had been searching for somewhere to eat on the evening of Mothering Sunday and everywhere we tried seemed to have finished early because of the celebrations. We were driving past here so popped in for one last try before getting an Indian in Douglas and were pleasantly surprised. We were greeted immediately with a smile and "yes of course" a table was quickly prepared with a welcome open fire in front and a hot radiator behind which was fantastic given the bitingly cold wind we had endured that day! Two pints of Bushy's were quickly delivered which was well-kept and bright; lovely! The menu was a special for the day but did offer a fair choice.

We started with soup and prawn cocktail both of which were good. For mains my wife had the turkey roast with all the trimmings, which she enjoyed. I went for the lamb and mint burger which was too salty for my taste with chunky chips - very good. Puddings - a fair selection but we went for another Bushy's instead!

The bill came to £47.50, which included a £12.80 bar bill.

Reviewed 19 January 2013

We booked a table for 2, table ok not much room to move around or relax. Warm with the fire which was good, had a good look through the menu lots to choose from, we both chose Beef the Sunday Roast which was priced at £11.95 each quite pricey we only got 3 roasties which were very burnt could hardly put the fork through them mine nearly flew off the plate as they were so hard to cut open, large yorkshire pud which again was very burnt and hard to eat, veg ok my partner didnt have any peas on his plate where as I did gravy ok the mash potato was a little lumpy not a good meal, the night before we had ate at the lakeview bar at Mount Murray and this was far better meal and better priced, we wouldnt rush back to the Mount murray, also employ more staff as the waiting times werent good, waited ages for BURNT meals.

Reviewed 4 October 2012

With a roaring log fire and friendly atmosphere

We compliment the chef on a wonderful meal this evening

Fish Mediterranean style - great presentation and plenty of it