“Decent lunch, good venue”
Review of Salt Bar & Kitchen

Salt Bar & Kitchen
Ranked #100 of 155 Restaurants in Douglas
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Decent lunch, good venue”
Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

I had a business lunch here recently on a busy Thursday and it was pretty good.

Nice venue, good staff and decent food.. I'd choose here again for sure when I'm back on the island.

Douglas, United Kingdom
“Lovely steaks”
Reviewed 15 November 2013

We visited Salt on Tuesday evening following recommendation from a colleague. We chose the fillet steak special and were very impressed with both dishes. Steaks cooked perfectly as requested, nice sauce to accompany. The staff were friendly and attentive throughout our evening. I am sure we'll be back to visit very soon.

• Visited November 2013
Isle of Man
“Fillet steak was better than the best Steak house in South Africa”
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Very surprised to find somewhere in the Isle of Man that serves steak better than I've eaten in a top Steak house in SA. I visited Salt again on Friday, 8th Nov 2013 and ordered fillet steak. It was cooked exactly as asked for, I had grilled Stilton over it, that was melted to perfection. The steak wasn't tough, it wasn't over cooked, it tasted delicious.
The rest of the meal was just as good. Service excellent and friendly. We didn't have to wait, timings between courses very nice and relaxed.
Couple of requests, could you do Bento box puddings again and a smaller cheese board for one.
Thanks for a great night, I'm looking forward to my next visit in Dec.

• Visited November 2013
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
“Very nice.....staff a bit slow”
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Went here for lunch and the food was very nice and well priced. The place wasn't very busy but it was a Tuesday lunch time and as it is not right in town I wasn't surprised.

Only criticism was that the staff were slow at coming over so I had to go to the bar and ask for someone to take our order, I also had to go and ask for condiments etc and asked for the bill but after 15 minutes had to chase it up.

Would happily go again though as food was enjoyable.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Kodak747
London, United Kingdom
“Truly Disappointing”
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Visited here for lunch recently. Salt markets itself as serving heavily Asian influenced food and I was keen to try their 'Domburi' (Japanese Traditional Japanese Rice & Noodle Dishes) dishes so I ordered Chicken Kaarage described as Chicken nuggets marinated in soy sauce, ginger & garlic, then fried until crisp. Well, these were the most tasteless pieces of chicken impersonating marinated meat that I have ever eaten. I had to ask for Soy Sauce so that I could at least enjoy a little flavour. of course, it took me 15 minutes to get the attention of the waitress so that I could ask for the soy sauce! I also ordered the Sushi - having lived in AsiaPac for a few years, I know a little bit about sushi and Asian food. The sushi was ok. Nothing special at all. Gone was my excitement over finally having a place on the island that served tasty and well-made sushi. Ho hum.

The chef ought to be ashamed at the Gyoza (Japanese Dumplings) that we were served. They tasted completely deep-fried to the point that the oily taste over-powering any flavour that might have been present in the first place.The amount of meat in the gyoza was pathetic and the little bits of meat (that were actually inside the dumplings) dropped out into the bowl of soy whenever the dumplings were dipped into the sauce. Awful Gyoza experience. It really isnt hard to make good Gyoza and the chef needs an Asian Cooking 101 uregently.

It took an age to be served drinks at first and were only asked again if we wanted more drinks after we had asked for the bill. When we were served, I have to say that the service was pleasant. Its the food lets this place down the most.

The interior doesn't look any different to how it was when it was The Mailbox. A few Asian inspired decorative pieces have been thrown in, it seems, as an afterthought. Did the owners pay no attention to the ambience or the importance of good design at all? It really is such a shame as they had a real chance to do something different as the location and the space itself is great.

I really hate to see new restaurants start badly on the island as we desperately need somewhere that breaks the monotonous offering of food establishments on the island but unfortunately I really don't think that Salt is going to be the place unless they do a complete reboot.

• Visited September 2013