“Clean, slightly dated”

Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Douglas
Deer Park, Washington
“Clean, slightly dated”
Reviewed 6 September 2012

I stayed at the Ascot for 3 nights in a pinch, and was pleasantly surprised.
The hotel is an older style and felt somewhat dated, but the premises are immaculately clean. The breakfast (included in the price) was pretty nice buffet style.

I ate dinner at the restaurant one of the evenings and the food was tasty with quick service, despite a large group being seated moments before me.

My room was huge. HUGE. I didn't see any other rooms, so I don't know whether it was the same for them.

As with everything on the Isle of Man, the price is inflated just beyond my comfortable "value for money" level but the price was certainly acceptable (considering WiFi and breakfast are included).

There is a Spar around the corner for supplies, and the hotel is certainly not as far as Siberia but is also not terribly convenient to the Strand and the sea terminal... a short, brisk walk.

Overall, well done Ascot.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank christ0fu

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
sheffield
Reviewed 26 August 2012

Really nice place to stay , very clean and tidy rooms , breakfast had a good selection and pleasent friendly staff , was made to feel especially welcome by staff member Carol, no question or task seemed to be a problem for her to help me with , i would make a booking and stay at the ascot whenever i am satying in the isle of man , thanks for a great stay guys.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the ocean are great .
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank ian c
Lancaster
Reviewed 25 August 2012

Had a standard room that was clean and very spacious for our family visit (3 persons). Good breakfasts even though served as hot buffet. Staff were very friendly and helpful giving this large hotel the personal touch.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 20 August 2012

When we pulled up on the incline outside, first impressions was not great. However, glad to say it is a nice place, staff are lovely and would recommend the place. It is a bit of a walk from the main part of the town (about 15 mins). If raining, you would need the taxi. Note that taxis are actually expensive for short journeys - 5 mins in taxi was £7. The thing that kept us from not sleeping were the seagulls so not the hotels fault.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Lainey30
Swadlincote, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Very clean, good position, wonderful jacuzzi bath, and this was only a standard room. Very friendly and attentive staff. The buffet breakfast was excellent, the choice good, and my wife recommends the kippers. Overall an excellent three night stay was had. The cost was very reasonable for the standard this hotel offers.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
mirfield
Reviewed 26 July 2012

I fancied a visit to the I.O.M. and all the comments on Trip Advisor were consistently favourable so gave it a try. I wasn't disappointed. An excellent full english buffet breakfast. Dave Mackey and his staff were always on the ball and nothing was too much trouble.
Another reason why I chose The Ascot was that it offered smoking rooms (albeit to the rear) for those who requested one-quite a rare thing in hotels these days.
It's worth pointing out that the hotel is at the other end of Douglas from the ferry terminal-so those with a lot of bags might need a taxi. Also-it's slightly set back from the front and the visual approach via Empire Terrace is not the best at the moment due to builders skips/materials on nearby properties being "renovated". Don't let this put you off.
I stayed the 1st week in July.The hotel has a contract with various arms of The Forces. Army bandsmen/women were staying here for the opening of the I.O.M. parliament where they were performing so the hotel was quite busy-particularly the bar during the evening.No problem -their manners were impecable and always quiet in their rooms/around the hotel.A credit to our soldiers.

Room Tip: I chose an executive single (smoking).These are at the rear so no view. I had a look at other rooms...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank lennieMirfield
Carrickfergus, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2012

My partner and I are just back from the Ascot and I can't praise this hotel enough! From the warm welcome upon arrival to providing us with a packed breakfast when we left (we had a 5am start), we felt very well looked after. We had booked a superior room and it was fabulous. The room was large, airy, spotless and the bed was very comfortable. We even got the seaview we had requested. The style of the room, by today's standards was a little old fashioned, but we thought it was great and more relaxing than some of the more modern featureless ones that you often get today as it was like coming home every evening. The bathroom again was large and featured a wonderful jacuzzi bath. The breakfasts were lovely (as my waistline would now indicate) and the service, again, was excellent. We had one evening meal in the hotel and only wished we had dined there more frequently as it was beautifully presented and cooked. You wouldn't be leaving the dinner table hungry! As it is a small hotel (approx. 40 rooms) the staff take the time to get to know you. The banter was excellent, especially in the evening in the bar. Next time we go to Douglas there is no question where we'll be staying!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank irvinedbs
Also consider these accommodations in or near Douglas
The Claremont Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ramsey
The Chesterhouse Hotel
The Chesterhouse Hotel
#7 of 17 in Douglas

Been to Ascot Hotel? Share your experiences!