Ascot Hotel
US$192
US$188
  • Breakfast included
The Rutland Hotel(Douglas)(Great Value!)
US$107
US$103
  • Breakfast included
The Chesterhouse Hotel(Douglas)(Great Value!)
US$107
US$128
Regency Hotel(Douglas)
US$188
  • Restaurant
All reviewsspa bathrail discoveriesisle of manfree tea and coffeesea viewbreakfast and dinnerevery member of staffbig roomnothing is too much troublestorage spacefamily roomdouble bedthree nightsfamily holidayexcellent hotelself servicehotel is situated
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 November 2012 via mobile

We had a very good 3 night stay at the Ascot. The decor is a bit dated and the rooms a little to hot but otherwise was a great place to stay. The service is friendly , helpful and well organised and the breakfast was outstanding with a choice of porridge and local Kippers. We would happily return.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed 10 October 2012

Very dated and in much need of a facelift. Housekeeping poor with dirty bathroom and carpets.
Although it listed free wi-fi this was non existent. I tend to feel business users get put into the worst rooms.

1  Thank FrankG1955
Reviewed 8 October 2012

I found this hotel impressively clean, with good food, and friendly staff. If you want to stay somewhere comfortable and warm, with great breakfasts, then the Ascot ticks those important boxes.

However if you have a business trip, and need internet access, then forget it. This place boasts free wifi in the rooms, but it is awful. At best it is slow, at worst you lose hours waiting for connectivity & continually re-booting. This frustrating experience really compromised my stay.

There are other pesky annoyances. My room was called "Kempton", and whereas it was clean, there was a stink in the en suite bathroom. A musty smell, seemingly coming from behind the sheet of plastic tiles that had come away 2 inches from the wall. There was a fan motoring outside the window, but the staff said it would shut down at 9pm, which it did. The corridors here are very narrow and there are lots of steps, so lugging the suitcase around from the lift is a pain. The bar closes very early. We returned on our first night around 11pm to find the entire ground floor closed up and locked. The entire accommodation experience should be so much better

To make up for this, however, the food was really great. And there was a young chap behind reception who was exceedingly helpful and very pleasant. You could not leave this hotel annoyed after dealing with him. He printed my boarding pass, he booked my taxi, and was so genuinely friendly (to me and to others) that I went away feeling as good as such excellent customer service workers can make you feel.

This man, together with his colleagues, try hard to make this a good place. I commend them for that, and thank them for the comfort they provided. But I wish they would fix their wifi, sort out the musty smell, install a decent lift, and just lift their game a bit so the Ascot would deliver better on its potential, rather than languishing in the "average" ranks.

Room Tip: Get a room close to the lift and well-away from the kitchen
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Dave M, General Manager at Ascot Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2012

Many thanks for taking the time to review your stay with us and I am sorry that you were not happy with a few issues.
Firstly, the WIFI system in the building has been revamped in the past 3 months at considerable cost and now works very well in the hotel. There are a couple of weak spots at the rear of the building which are actually serviced and supplemented by a separate system giving you five bars. I wonder, in this case, if you were made aware of this by staff ?
We shall look into your complaints regarding the bathroom.
Thank you very much for your complimentary comments regarding the food and service at the hotel. Service and hospitality are something which we pride ourselves on.
I do hope you will consider us again for your next stay on the island where we hope and believe your initial problems won't be an issue again.

Reviewed 6 October 2012

This hotel looks a bit shabby from the outside but once inside is clean and friendly - the photos give a fair impression. The staff all work hard to be accommodating.
It is off a side street about half way down Douglas promenade - an ideal position as it was very quiet at night (so quiet I assumed most of the rooms must have been empty, and was thus surprised to see many of the tables filled at breakfast). It is only about 2 minutes' walk to the sea front and being in the middle of the promenade meant that it was easy to walk in either direction.
My room (Newmarket) was comfortable, clean and spacious, with a partial sea view. The bathroom was really large and looked as if it was newly installed. It was great to be able to try Manx kippers for breakfast. My one night stay was also excellent value.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room
Reviewed 6 October 2012

I have stayed here many times before with my partner, we are from the Isle of Man and live around 5 miles away. We stay at least once a year when they have the deal of dinner with a bottle of wine, superior room and breakfast in the morning all for £99! There are no restrictions on what you can order from the menu, we have a fish starter and fillet steak for main (which was cooked to perfection). I recommend this deal running throughout winter, we may even stay again (nice break)

• Stayed: October 2012