“Best hotel on the Isle of Man”
Review of Ascot Hotel

Ascot Hotel
Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Douglas
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Best hotel on the Isle of Man”
Reviewed 20 June 2013

I would not stay at any other hotel on the Isle of Man, excellent friendly service. nothing is ever too much trouble for them, food is excellent, rooms are always clean. The Ascot is central for all of the amenities of Douglas. It is so excellent i have already booked for next year!!!!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Isle of Man
Reviewed 12 June 2013

I have stayed in this hotel for the last 3 years and have to say that, year on year, it gets a little more jaded. I choose it because I stay the last night of the TT and the rates are good, while most of the other hotels are still asking for stupid money. I stay one night then go back home to my own house when my TT guests have left.

ALL the staff in this hotel are extremely helpful and friendly. More so I think than most of the hotels I have used, this is apparent from the moment you arrive and I can't thank them enough for being so good.

I had a Suite (which I'm assuming is of a slightly better standard than some of the other rooms) but it fell short of my expectations for a 'suite'. It was large (and spacious, even with 3 beds in it) but looked so tired and drab. The bedspreads and curtains looked ancient. The curtains badly fitted and not of a quality you would expect in a suite. The bathroom, again large with a jacuzzi, needed a bit of a spruce up with yellow grouting around the bath. After my shower I had to call somebody to turn off the cold water tap as it wouldn't shut off (three of us tried) and the toilet roll holder fell from the wall as soon as you looked at it. It was clean (as was the entire room) and the towels lovely.... just not suite standard.

My bed wasn't comfy (the double) and felt like the mattress was extremely poor quality. The pillows were good tho. Upgrading the mattresses would improve the quality of the stay enormously as I remember from previous years that I had the same issue. The single bed my daughter slept in appeared to have a plastic cover on it that made sleep near impossible. It 'rustled' every time she moved and made the bed extremely uncomfortable for her. In the middle of the night I got up and took it off. That is the first time EVER in a hotel I have seen anything like that on a bed. Like you would use if you thought your child was going to pee the bed! I'm guessing places have them (to protect the mattresses) but not of this standard. It was like something from the £1 shop and totally inappropriate to put on a bed that was being used by a teenage girl. Maybe it had been left on there by mistake after the bed had been used by a toddler?

Everything else in the room was OK - I so want to say 'great' but it really was just mediocre.

The bar was closed at 11.10 pm when we came in, and the gentleman cleaning the bar area, was quite put out that I asked for a drink to take upstairs. He said the bar was finished but begrudgingly got me a G & T to take up. Perhaps room service isn't available at that time but, for a 3 hotel, I thought it was strange. Although a bit curt he was a lovely chap tho - maybe tired after the TT when I'm sure the hotel was manic.

Breakfast was a buffet style affair. Choice of Juice, some fresh fruit, cerials, hot food and there was the option of trying some Manx Kippers. Everything was kept replenished and was piping hot and even the friend eggs were lovely. The sausages had been deep fried in oil and were frozen, not fresh. Likewise the mushrooms were tinned - as were the tomatoes. The scrambled eggs were bland. I never understand why hotels fail to offer good scrambled eggs when they are such a simple thing to cook. Must be something to do with them being cooked in large numbers. They had no seasoning in at all and tasted...... well, tasteless. There was nice crispy bacon. I have had worse breakfasts though and, as I said, the food was replenished regularly and was hot. Plates were cleared promptly and all the staff helpful. I couldn't rate the coffee, I tried a cup but it wasn't good. Investing in a good blend (that actually tastes of coffee) would improve the breakfast experience no end.

The Reception Staff were helpful. I don't think Reception is staffed all the time (which isn't unusual in smaller hotels) as there was nobody there when we wanted to check-out. It wasn't a problem though - we waited a little while then, when nobody came, we went for a walk.

The WIFI is not available in all the hotel. There was none in our room - neither was there any in the area where breakfast was served. I'm guessing, from the hotel layout, that it isn't available in a large part of the building. There were log-in instructions in the room but we couldn't access the local network. My daughters tried countless times (they would rather have a leg amputated than have no internet for 24 hours) but it wasn't going to work! I'm sure if we had asked it would have been something simple like the password had changed :)

If I could get a comfortable bed I would stay here again - a decent cup of coffee would ensure I definitely did. The staff deserve a zillion gold stars!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Merthyr Tydfil, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2013

I recently spent a weekend at the Ascot. This was not my first visit and is unlikely to be my last. Staff were courteous and pleasant, food was very good. I stayed in the Guineas room. A very comfortable bed and well equiped room. Wi Fi enabled me to send a load of pictures from Manx Rally all sorted by 10pm. I have stayed in many other hotels in Douglas over the years but not since I found the Ascot. I would thoroughly recomend the Ascot Hotel to anyone wanting a quality hotel,

Room Tip: Just try the Ascot Hotel. You won't be disapointed.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 May 2013

Stayed at the ascot on 10th may for 2 nights and had a great time,stayed in one of the suites with 3 friends and it was spotless,breakfast was excellent however after a few 2 many on fri night came back 2 the hotel 2 get some money from my room.had 2 inform john on reception that my money had gone missing and without a problem he came up 2 the room and found it all 4 me,also a big thanks 2 the lady on reception 4 being patient with me,both a credit 2 the hotel

• Stayed May 2013
Douglas, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2013

I was walking past and thought that I would look at their bar menu and have a pint whilst doing so.
Lots of people were eating and I was not surprised as the price was good and the portions enormous.
I had a pint of the local bitter at £2.80 and went on to order 'bangers and mash'. Three huge traditional pork and leek sausages, real mashed potato and a selection of fresh vegetables. All smothered in the best onion gravy I have ever had. It was a feast fit for a king.
The staff, and particularly the bar manager John were friendly and the service was first class.
I will certainly go there again.

Room Tip: Not applicable
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2013

Great friendly family run business with helpful staff. Bar meals or restaurant available, food is excellent. When away from home on business this is a great hotel where it easy to meet similar people.
Two minutes from the prom and ideally placed to drive to all parts of the island.

Room Tip: For a few pounds more ask for a sea view.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Dalkeith, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Some of the rooms are named after race courses or horses. I was in Newbury with a view past neighbouring buildings to the sea. Plenty of clothes storage space, both drawers and wardrobe with lots of hangers. Large comfortable bed and good-sized bathroom with the aforementioned spa bath - bliss at the end of a cold, sighseeing day. There was a desk/dressingtable with a well-lit mirror, ideal for applying makeup. The lighting in the bathroom was also good but the bedroom lighting was abysmal - dreadful spotlights and bedside lights with such dark shades that no light escaped. The wi-fi (free) worked well in the bedroom.

The staff were friendly and helpful and the breakfasts good. I cannot really comment on the dinner menu as I was with a group and we had a separate menu.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends