“Superb!”

The Claremont Hotel
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Douglas
Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

The Claremont is an excellent hotel in a great location in Douglas.

The staff cannot do enough for you, from the reception staff to the breakfast waitress, they are all excellent.

The hotel is very clean, the rooms are spacious and bathrooms are very plush indeed.

I come to the island at least once a year on business and I consider this hotel to stay at each time and nowhere else now.

Even though its a good business hotel, I'd also say its good for couples or families.. It's a friendly, chilled out hotel.

Another plus point of it is that its a stones throw from all the restaurants, coffee houses, shops etc in the town centre.

The breakfast in Coast Brasserie was also faultless. Wide choices and lovely food.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
MarkDWilson, Managing Director at The Claremont Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Thank you for review. We very much appreciate your kind words, particularly regarding our reception and breakfast teams which we will ensure is passed on to the staff. We strive to provide the level of business service and attention to detail you refer to, so your feedback and observations are of great assistance to us. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 23 November 2013

The bedroom was immaculate and the attention to detail superb. A great experience from the moment I checked in. Staff were very friendly, helpful and genuine. Breakfast was of the highest quality and cooked to order. Undoubtedly one of the best hotels and so close to the centre of Douglas makes it ideal. I would not hesitate to stay again or recommend this hotel for business or pleasure stays.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo

Dear guest. Thank you for your review and your kind words about the Claremont. We are delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay and we hope to see you again soon. Kind regards

Reviewed 20 November 2013

Probably the best business hotel in Douglas and I've stayed in a few. Small room (310) but very quiet and the bed was the most comfortable I've slept in for a long time. Breakfast is nice in you can choose what you want from a menu and it is cooked for you; none of that awful buffet style hot food you get elsewhere. I can't comment on the food as I didn't eat there but the restaurant looked nice and busy. All in all a nice stay.

Room Tip: Room 310 was a bit cramped but nice and quiet.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank stepheng98
Reviewed 15 November 2013

I have travelled frequently to Douglas over the last three years for business, and having stayed at several of the bigger hotels I believe The Claremont is the best hotel in Douglas for business visitors.

During the last couple of years they have upgraded their top-level rooms, which in my opinion are of a higher standard than the comparable rooms offered by their direct competitors.

The latest phase of the renovations included the upgrade of the reception area which now has a very professional ambience, as you would expect to find in a hotel catering for business travellers in most big cities.

I have always found the reception staff extremely pleasant and helpful, to the point where they now remember my name, as do the restaurant staff particularly when I turn up for breakfast. A small thing but it suggests the level of effort the staff go to, to make guests feel welcome.

I must make a special mention of The Claremont’s Reservations Manager, who I have always found conscientious and always extremely helpful especially when I have needed to make a reservation at very short notice.

In my opinion The Claremont has really tried to raise the standard of offering to the business community and has succeeded in differentiating themselves in recent times.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
MarkDWilson, Managing Director at The Claremont Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

Dear valued guest,
Thank you for your review of the Claremont, in particular your kind words about the staff and quality of service for business visitors. The team here work hard to deliver the best experience for all types of guests, so we will share your kind feedback with the them. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to seeing you on your next business trip.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

On arrival at the hotel I've got to say the reception area is faultless. We were greeted with a lovely smile from the receptionist who informed us we had been assigned a free upgrade and she would check with housekeeping to see if the room was ready.(to be fair we were very early) She informed us that that room was still being serviced and she had moved us to room 308 which was ready.

We meandered our way up to the 3rd floor through tiny corridors up a couple of steps down a few more then down half a dozen to our room,quite odd really, it was like been on floor 2 and a half!!

The key fobs are electronic and the room boasts top of the range technology,with flat screen tv & blue ray players to name a few. The view from our 2 windows was a white washed brick wall. The bathroom had a speaker for the tv/radio in there, a walk in shower that could have housed a rugby team but no bath, it's not like there wasn't room.

We decided to make a cuppa. There was a little card which read fresh milk is located in the mini fridge, great fresh milk instead of those silly UHT cartons. To our dismay there was no milk in the fridge. I buzzed down to reception who said they would send some up. By the time the milk arrived we had drunk our black tea!

We unpacked for our stay of 3 nights, Thursday Friday and Saturday. Hanging clothes wasn't a problem but there were no drawers at all in the bedroom area. I opted to leave my smalls in the suitcase. We wanted to make use of the free WIFI which was impossible in our room as the signal kept dropping. I went up the half a dozen stairs to the 3rd floor landing where the signal was very good. The 3 rd floor landing was also the hub for the housekeepers as the main housekeeping cupboard was also there, more often than not the landing was littered with hovers, big blue laundry bags and staff so a private Skype wasn't an option.

We decided to pop down to the coast restaurant and have a sandwich. I could have salmon, ham or cheese. I didn't fancy any of them, gutted really because I had I'd just forked out £22 on bottle Sauvignon Blanc wine. We ended up with a KFC!!

We decided to have breakfast in bed the next morning so filled out the little card as per the instructions,ticking the newspaper section delivery. The breakfast was delivered on time minus the paper. I signed for the meal and after the waitress had left we noticed that my full English had arrived but my partner's order of poached eggs with granary toast was incorrect. Only the toast was delivered. We shared mine which was very good.

We went out for the whole day that day. On arrival back to my room, my door had been locked but wedged open. I thought that the housekeepers were late finishing. On entering the room we discovered it had been serviced but the door had been left open by mistake. I buzzed down to reception and asked to speak with the manager in my room immediately. Marcus the duty manager came promptly and I explained the situation. He informed me that the cleaners often do this because the don't have room keys. Clearly they had forgotten to secure my door. I find this quite ironic really as the landing to my room is housekeeping central. I pointed out that I had left passports, iPad and other expensive equipment. He said that they had been extra busy with the Mount Murray burning down,and explained he had only been in the job 2 weeks. I think he was hankering after a sympathy vote,well I'm sorry, I was rather angry with having my belongings exposed for the day.

He offered us a complimentary drink in the bar and apologised again.I also asked him to remove the teapot and cups that had been left from the morning breakfast tray. The coffee and tea wasn't replenished during our stay until we asked, we didn't get an option of breakfast in bed as we didn't get another room card. I didn't bother asking as I'd had a gut full by then on, roll on Sunday so I could go home.

We didn't get our complimentary drink either, as we never saw Marcus again.. Nice place,it appeared that on our stay it was like the blind leading the blind.. I Won't be rushing back as I could think of better things to spend £350 on...

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank Joanne M
MarkDWilson, Managing Director at The Claremont Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Dear Guest, thank you for your review of the Claremont.

We feel it would be both helpful and appropriate to acknowledge your extensive feedback. Firstly may we thank you for acknowledging the reception standard, the early check in arranged by way of a re-allocation of your room and the subsequent complimentary upgrade as a result.

Whilst we are pleased that you found the room to such a high standard, we acknowledge this particular room type does not have a bath, instead it has a large en-suite arrangement with a rain shower and other bespoke fittings. A room with an optional bath facility could certainly have been arranged had this been specified on your advance reservation, or requested in person at any time during your stay.

The hot drinks tray includes packaged milk portions for tea and coffee as standard and these are kept in the mini-fridge that is also provided. Naturally we were pleased to also provide you with fresh milk as you requested on arrival, but trust you will appreciate that this is generally a product only be supplied to order, simply by way of the fact that it is by its very nature, a perishable product.

The room you were allocated has 2 wardrobes, one of which also contains a full set of storage drawers; we apologise if this was not clearly evident. May we also apologise for the Wi-Fi issue you refer to. We will look into this and add an additional access point to this room should this be necessary. We are also sorry if the housekeeping staff caused you any inconvenience or disturbance during your Skype call. Naturally during the daytime these staff and their equipment will be evident whilst guest rooms are cleaned and prepared, but by late afternoon or once this work is completed, the work area you refer to is clear.

The hotel lounge menu features premium ingredients that compliment the 4 Star hotel surroundings, however as part of our service we are always pleased to offer any alternatives that a guest may request, or indeed anything that is not listed. We also offer an all day restaurant facility that provides an additional dining option and apologise if both of these options were not to your personal taste.

Regarding your room being on the latch when you returned from your outing, after investigating this, I am advised that an element of additional servicing was actually still in process, hence the reason some items had not been replenished or cleared. We fully take on board your concerns regarding security, but I can assure you that your possessions where safe throughout the service process.

May I clarify that the breakfast room service order card does not refer to newspapers as these are arranged via the hotel reception on guest check-in. Naturally we cannot always guarantee the precise delivery time of daily newspapers, particularly as we receive an Island-based distribution, although we deliver newspapers to all guests as soon as they are received at the hotel and do not make any charge for this. We must apologise for any oversight with elements of your partner's breakfast order and appreciate the feedback that you found the breakfast items served to your room to be of a very high standard.

Our Duty Manager has explained that he was unable to arrange a complimentary drink for you as was discussed, due to your pre-arranged attendance at a local event in the evening. Unfortunately he did not see you before you departed to have the opportunity to address this.

May we thank you for your constructive and helpful feedback. We also appreciate your kind words regarding the high quality of the room and the general hotel environment and facilities. We apologise for any misunderstandings referred to above that were not rectified during your stay. We do hope that you choose to stay with us again and will be delighted to address your personal requirements when given this opportunity.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

I spent one night here on business in early November, a generally dreary time of year in the Isle of Man. This hotel was a pleasant reminder of life in the rest of the world. I should not be too mean about IoM---it's a lovely place which I must explore properly one day--my fault, not its!
The hotel is in one of the original houses on the promenade. The exterior is a bit drab but the interior is quite different. It has been improved to a very high standard and in very good taste. I had an executive room at the front which was very well appointed throughout. Including the Nespresso machine which hotels seem to supply, but only in their best rooms, as an indicator of quality. I have never understood that--the machine is not so expensive so it could be in every room. (I actually wonder if maybe Nespresso supply them free as a quite inexpensive marketing tool)
The restaurant was almost empty which is not a good sign but only to be expected on a wet Monday in November. It was OK but not great and , I thought, quite expensive at about £45 for a simple meal.
Staff were happy and the experience was good.
I have to mark down sleep quality because there was a problem with my bed but I am fairly sure it was just one of those things

Room Tip: I had a big bright room at the front, though more expensive
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your review of the Claremont, in particular for your kind comments and observations regarding the high standard of business class accommodation and the overall design of the hotel. We aim to address all guest feedback to ensure we continue to offer the most comfortable stay possible. We hope to welcome you back to the Claremont on your next business trip to the Isle of Man.

Reviewed 30 October 2013 via mobile

Probably the best hotel in Ramsey but then that isn't a stretch.

That being said it's the best mattress I have ever slept on in my life.

The town and hotel is empty during the week so if there on business have a bit of work handy on the laptop or invest in a good book.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business