“Good three star hotel”
Review of The Rutland Hotel

The Rutland Hotel
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Douglas
Reviewed 18 August 2011

We stayed at this hotel for 5 nights while on holiday August 2011.The hotel is situated on the promenade, and is only a 15 minute walk away from the centre so away from the noise.
The room we had was of a good size, although it did not have a sea view it was quite until 6.30 when a fan started up, it had comfortable beds, sofa, as well as tea & coffee making facilities.the bathroom had a good powerful shower, and the usual toiletries
All meals where buffet style with a good choice I had a full English breakfast but there was also the option of kippers, cereals, fresh fruit with tea or coffee. Dinner was again a buffet style with a choice of basic quality meals that changed every day.
Staff were friendly and helpful we would definitely stay in this three star hotel again.
Stayed in August 2011, Holiday

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank singingeagle

Reviewed 22 July 2011

first morning when we went in the restaurant for breakfast no-one advised us on the routine. we had to sit where we thought was ok, my husband really wanted kippers but after 15 mins of being ignored he decided to find the hot buffet. i found a waitress to ask for coffee which was brought but no milk unless you ask.
food at evening meal resembled school dinners, needless to say we went elsewhere.
the hotel was clean and the rooms lovely but noway would we go back. the website boasted a bar but we found it on our last day, it was in a corner near the breakfast buffet!
staff training is a must in this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 May 2011

I am writing this on behalf of my parents, who recently stayed at the Rutland. We booked it as my father's 70th Birthday present, after a lot of research about hotels in Douglas and I am so glad we chose this one!!!

I made the hotel aware of the occasion in advance, and they were so helpful in making their stay as enjoyable as possible. They did everything they could to give them a really beautiful room, though from what I can gather there's no "bad" roomsamong them. It is located about 1mile away from the ferry terminal so my parents walked the short distance, taking in the views.

I had been warned the meals in the hotel restaurant were expensive, but it was £10 for 2 courses, £12.50 incl bottle of wine, which I felt was extremely reasonable, especially on hearing the standard of the meals.

The hotel made the perfect base in Douglas as it is easy to access everything you might be interested in heading to

The rooms are spacious and tastefully decorated - my parents were so impressed, they showed off their panoramic film on their phone on their return!

The staff are incredible - as I say, they were extremely helpful in making sure everything was in place when I booked the hotel and this did not change during my parent's stay.

There are a few hotels in the chain, with some more in Douglas and another in Blackpool. I would strongly recommend giving them a try - the cost of the rooms was very reasonable and after such high reports back from my Dad, they have, without fail a loyal customer in me and my parents

Room Tip: If you are booking for a special occasion
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank WMD2009
Reviewed 4 May 2011

Excellent location, very warm welcome, friendly bar, staff large room, good food AND good weather - what more can you ask for!!

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed 24 March 2011

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights while on business in February 2011.
The hotel is situated on the promenade, with an excellent view out to sea, away from the majority of clubs and bars. This is a good thing, and all the bustle is only a 15 minute walk (5 minute cab-ride) away.
First impressions are not that glamorous, as the reception area looks fairly old-fashioned. Who cares - you're not staying in this bit.
The room I had was £65 per night and was exceptionally large. Although it did not have a sea view, it had a king-size bed, sofa, table and chair, as well as tea & coffee making facilities.
It also had a large bathroom with a power shower, which delivered a better shower than I have had at much larger hotel chains.
As our visit was out of season, the hotel manager offered to open the restaurant for dinner, or the option of a discounted meal at one of their sister hotels along the promenade. We declined and went into town, for a steak / burgers at Jak's sports bar.
I had the full english breakfast in the hotel restaurant. this was huge and very tasty, and eggs are cooked to order. There was also the option of cereals, fresh fruit or pastries with tea or coffee.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank SiThompson
Reviewed 7 September 2010

The Rutland Hotel is in a very good location and the rooms are above average by european standards. The beds were comfy and the comforters were wonderful. Bathroom was huge, had tub and shower combo. The morning breakfast is a good bargin and tasty. We had a sea facing room and enjoyed the view along with the fresh air. The street parking is a little tight but anywhere here is. The staff was great, helpful with all questions.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 September 2010

We chose this hotel as a it was in the middle of our budgets, and the location was OK, although a 15 minute walk to Douglas' main shopping street.

Good points included very large rooms (we had two rooms, 4th floor, with a fabulous view over the sea and promenade), with most amenities (no iron, fridge or mini-bar tho), a clean, large bathroom with a few toiletries. Our room was on a curious slope - just an old building, we guessed.

Free wifi - but it dropped out randomly and frequently.

The common areas, eg reception and bar, are overly bright and unwelcoming. The reception often had piles of red bags of bedlinen laying around. Lift is tiny - two people and a suitcase - just about. Very steep steps up to the hotel, might not be suitable for the elderly or those with a disability.

Breakfast - well, there was plenty of it, but all of it greasy, overcooked and uninspiring. I suspect if you visit in 2015 it will still be: oily scrambled eggs, rubbery fried eggs, hash browns, plastic sausages, super-salty bacon and bullet-like baked beans. Then on the cold counter: prunes, mandarin segments, grapefruit segments, yogurt. Toast, juices and preserves also available.

The breakfast staff - so many other guests have said this, it's hard to believe that the hotel management haven't acted on the feedback. Disinterested, hard to catch their attention - and when we did, and ordered, the coffee would arrive, for example, and no milk. And then it started over again.

Would recommend for sleeping only.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends