The Rutland Hotel
Regency Hotel(Douglas)
US$192
Priceline
  • Restaurant
All reviewsself servicecoach tripgb toursnational holidayscoach partysteep stepsisle of mansea viewmeal timesevening mealtiny liftbuffet stylerecommend this hotelsea frontrabbit warrenwalking difficultieshalf board
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 September 2011

I thought the Isle of Man was famous for its kippers, so was disappointed that there was no sign of any at the otherwise plentiful buffet breakfast! Otherwise a quite reasonably refurbished hotel, right on the sea front and very convenient for the electric railway to Ramsey and Snaefell (but beware, the railway does not operate in late autumn and winter). The horse trams in summer also stop right outside and can take you as far as the ferry terminal during the day. Worth paying extra for a sea view but the downside is the main promenade road is quite noisy. The staff are polite and friendly. Packages including ferry and hotel are available from the Steam Packet Company and seem very good value, although you have to make your own way from the ferry to the hotel. It's about 25-30 minutes walk. Plenty of places to visit on the Isle of Man but best to go when the railways are operating to make the most of it.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room. It's worth paying extra so long as you don't mind a bit of traffic noise
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank MikeWReading
Reviewed 31 August 2011

We were there with a coach party. Most of the time there were two other coach parties. The dining room could only just cope with the 120 odd guests and the three person lift and other public rooms could not!. The staff were polite and helpful and the catering was good.
The basic problem with the design of the hotel is that two new narrow four story blocks were built behind the two outer victorian houses leaving a narrow canyon in between. The kitchen is at the bottom of the canyon and is vented, unbelievably, at ground floor level. It should be ducted to roof level. The noise and smell in the canyon and all of its adjoining rooms on four floors is quite unacceptable.The poorly designed fenestration in those rooms adds to the problem as the only adjustable windows are lower panes hinged at the top which scoop in the fumes and reflect the noise.
The 2004 renovation was effected using materials and fittings which have already seen better days. In both of the rooms that we used grout was missing from the bathroom floor tiles, fittings were hanging off the walls or damaged, TV remotes were held together with sellotape, the plastic doors and frames were scuffed and scruffy and the door furniture loose. There is no disabled access and the front steps are a distinct hazard. SLEEPWELL HOTELS need to address these problems urgently.
The manager 'Shri' makes a very good job of getting the best out of this very busy fading hotel. Haylea the restaurant manager performs miracles daily for over a hundred guests in an overcrowded dining room.
This hotel caters for coach parties in the season and independant guests will find it an uphill struggle as will any guest with a disability.

Room Tip: Avoid room 407 at all costs as it is directly above the very noisy and odorous kitchen extractor fan!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
7  Thank FoREM
Reviewed 18 August 2011

We stayed at this hotel for 5 nights while on holiday August 2011.The hotel is situated on the promenade, and is only a 15 minute walk away from the centre so away from the noise.
The room we had was of a good size, although it did not have a sea view it was quite until 6.30 when a fan started up, it had comfortable beds, sofa, as well as tea & coffee making facilities.the bathroom had a good powerful shower, and the usual toiletries
All meals where buffet style with a good choice I had a full English breakfast but there was also the option of kippers, cereals, fresh fruit with tea or coffee. Dinner was again a buffet style with a choice of basic quality meals that changed every day.
Staff were friendly and helpful we would definitely stay in this three star hotel again.
Stayed in August 2011, Holiday

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank singingeagle
Reviewed 22 July 2011

first morning when we went in the restaurant for breakfast no-one advised us on the routine. we had to sit where we thought was ok, my husband really wanted kippers but after 15 mins of being ignored he decided to find the hot buffet. i found a waitress to ask for coffee which was brought but no milk unless you ask.
food at evening meal resembled school dinners, needless to say we went elsewhere.
the hotel was clean and the rooms lovely but noway would we go back. the website boasted a bar but we found it on our last day, it was in a corner near the breakfast buffet!
staff training is a must in this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 May 2011

I am writing this on behalf of my parents, who recently stayed at the Rutland. We booked it as my father's 70th Birthday present, after a lot of research about hotels in Douglas and I am so glad we chose this one!!!

I made the hotel aware of the occasion in advance, and they were so helpful in making their stay as enjoyable as possible. They did everything they could to give them a really beautiful room, though from what I can gather there's no "bad" roomsamong them. It is located about 1mile away from the ferry terminal so my parents walked the short distance, taking in the views.

I had been warned the meals in the hotel restaurant were expensive, but it was £10 for 2 courses, £12.50 incl bottle of wine, which I felt was extremely reasonable, especially on hearing the standard of the meals.

The hotel made the perfect base in Douglas as it is easy to access everything you might be interested in heading to

The rooms are spacious and tastefully decorated - my parents were so impressed, they showed off their panoramic film on their phone on their return!

The staff are incredible - as I say, they were extremely helpful in making sure everything was in place when I booked the hotel and this did not change during my parent's stay.

There are a few hotels in the chain, with some more in Douglas and another in Blackpool. I would strongly recommend giving them a try - the cost of the rooms was very reasonable and after such high reports back from my Dad, they have, without fail a loyal customer in me and my parents

Room Tip: If you are booking for a special occasion
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple