“A very enjoyable stay”

Ranked #5 of 22 Hotels in Douglas
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
“A very enjoyable stay”
Reviewed 17 May 2012

This is my 3rd night at the Rutland; one night more to go! It is right on the promenade overlooking the bay. There is free 24 hour parking in the street outside the hotel, although it does fill up in the evening but I have always found a space. I was booked in very efficiently, my room on the 1st floor being at the back, so no traffic noise but no sea view! The room was obviously recently renovated, in fact the whole hotel looks brand new. Everything in this hotel is spotlessly clean, and that includes my room. I paid for a single room but was given a double which was quite spacious and so was the bathroom. The bed is very comfortable. The bathroom has a shower (but no bath) in a triangular shape, with solid doors so water does not end up on the bathroom floor. Plenty of hot water, a stable temperature and good pressure and the shower cubicle is a reasonable size. The room is serviced every day.

There is a small screen TV in the room, which is a rather old CRT display. It's OK for watching the news etc, but pictures can be rather grainy due to the hotels cable system. Still, you don't come here to watch TV!

Breakfast is a self service affair with the usual British fare of sausage, bacon egg, etc. Kippers are available at a small extra cost. Everything was nicely cooked and warm. Tea & Coffee is served at your table. The staff are very efficient. There is white or wholemeal bread for toast which is reasonably thick, but plan ahead with this because the toasters (4 with 4 slots each = 16 slots!) are really slow!! I did not try the evening meal but there were plenty of customers for it!

The staff here are very friendly and helpful. My only negative comment about The Rutland is that the interior walls are rather thin, possibly made of plasterboard, and noise does transmit from other rooms. I thought someone was coming through the ceiling on my first night! Still, I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank dave9337

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Reviewed 12 May 2012

I stayed at the Rutland Hotel as part of the annual Manx netball tour so I stayed with the rest of my team which consisted of 9 ladies. We didn't spend much time at the hotel as we were out most of the day playing and then out in the evening for food, but I enjoyed my stay there.

The hotel is right on the sea front overlooking the bay and has recently undergone a refurbishment.

Pros: great location for us, fab views if your are lucky enough to get one of the rooms at the front of the hotel, good buffet style breakfast with lots of choice, has its own bar, friendly staff, great water pressure and lots of hot water (which has been an issue for us in the past at the Rutland's sister hotel, the Chesterhouse - not great to play 15 netball games and then get a cold trickle!), Our room was spacious and comfortable. It was a standard double but with a sofa bed. Spar shop nearby for water and snacks but this is a bit pricey. Fab Chinese restaurant just a few doors along.

Cons: faulty fire alarm which had us out on the sea front on Saturday evening dripping wet as most of us had been in the shower when it went off. I left on Sunday but some of my team mates stayed on until Monday and the alarm went off at 5am! Hopefully just a temporary thing! Has a lift to some floors but the hotel is a bit like a rabbit warren with lots of corridors and stairs. Not great for elderly or disabled. I was happy with the location but it is a long walk from the main shopping area - about 20 mins. OK if you are up for the walk.

Nearby there is the Villa Marina Arcade/Colonnade which is nice for a stroll, there is also a fab ice cream shop at the end.

I got the impression that the hotel was popular with group trips which makes it a bustling place and the dining room busy at breakfast, but not so much so that you could not sit or get enough food. Didn't eat in the restaurant so cannot comment on that.

All in all, a great place to stay.

Room Tip: Get one at the front, the view is worth it!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank R4chyroo
SleepwellManagement, Sleepwell Hotels Management Representative at The Rutland Hotel, responded to this review, 15 May 2012
Thank you for your review of The Rutland Hotel. We take all of our guests' compliments and critiques seriously, and we apologise that you and your teammates were disturbed by the fire alarm during your stay. This was due to a false alarm and the cause was rectified on the day. May we thank you for your otherwise kind and positive comments. We hope the Netball Tour went well for you and your team and that you choose to stay with us again on your next visit to the Isle of Man.
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2012

The Rutland Hotel, Douglas, Isle of Man, has been extensively renovated and our room was very spacious, the bed really comfy, the en-suite very clean and fitted out to very high standard. No complaints whatsoever. The meals were varied and served carvery style, including a wonderful choice for breakfast. The hotel staff were very helpful and pleasant. This Hotel is highly recommended. The only downside of our visit was that the lounge was not large enough to accommodate all guests during the evening-time.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2012

On first site this looked like a typical tired see side front hotel. The room I had had obviously been recently renovated, very clean and spacious. A nice touch was the dressing gown, which you don't even see with 4 Star London hotels. Cannot comment on the evening restaurant but the full english Breakfast (Included) was excellent. Very good value for money

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Barry H
Brighton
Reviewed 18 April 2012

Spent a long weekend at The Rutland with a coach party and the staff and facilities could not have been better. The dining room was a little busy whilst the hotel was full, but the food choice for dinners was varied and the breakfasts plentiful. During the course of our stay we had two fire alarms, both false, and some noisy guests returning early in the morning, but the hotel staff had it all under control, and the manageress came and apologised for the disturbances before we left. The rooms were clean and comfortable, serviced daily, and the hotel bar and entertainment were excellent. Hope that I get to go back there again soon!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Cycoticpenguin
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2012

The Rutland is a fine hotel with very good standards. I enjoyed an Executive Room which was offered at a great rate (late March). The hotel is completely modernised. My room was quiet and most comfortable. The bathroom excellent. It was just what I needed for my 5 day memory-lane visit.

The Rutland is nicely placed for buses up and down the promenade - direct to the airport and Port Erin in the south and to Laxey to the north. For those who enjoy walking - the promenade is ideal for pre-breakfast and evening walks.

The restaurant for breakfast and supper offered a good cuisine. Of my four nights I ventured out only once to a restaurant (Indian - a typical male treat).

Yes, the Rutland's restaurant is largely a buffet service with waiter support but it will suit most tastes.

After supper there is light entertainment in the bar which helped the cool March evenings to progress nicely. Remember - March is the very beginning of the season.

All the Rutland's staff were most helpful - my thanks to them. Thank you for my expertly made Irish coffees - keep them going.

I will return to the Rutland - maybe same time next year.

Chris Jarvis

Room Tip: Choose an exec room if available. Mine had a sea view and it was spacious with a sofa for extra comf...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank DrLivingstone1947
SleepwellManagement, Sleepwell Management Representative at The Rutland Hotel, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
Thank you so much for your very kind review, we are delighted that your stay with us was a pleasant one. Our staff really do try to make every visit perfect. We hope to see you again soon.
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 October 2011

We spent a weekend at this hotel with friends.Weather horrible but the hotel comfortable and breakfasts pleasing.Tea and coffee. Towels changed daily. Staff we found friendly and helpful. We did see guests having kippers.The rooms are well up to standard but agree with comments about the 3 pers lift.Good location and ample parking outside on main road with no real restrictions. 10 min walk into cente of town.We had the best Chinese meal ever 5mins walk turning left out of hotel heading alongside the prom.Called CHINA TOWN.would advise booking.Hired car at airport with Hertz. Castle in Castletown well worth a visit but closes end Oct. The George hotel in the square does very good meals.

Room Tip: Ask for room with sea view.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends