“Average”
Review of The Rutland Hotel

The Rutland Hotel
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Douglas
Reviewed 5 June 2010

Basic hotel ,rooms small but clean and single beds are tiny ! Hotel not very airy felt stuffy.

• Stayed: May 2010
There are newer reviews for The Rutland Hotel

Reviewed 18 May 2010

I stayed there two nights, 30/04-02/05. Hair dryer in room didn't work so called reception for loan, gave my wife key to an empty room along corridor and advised her to use that dryer, but had to get room key from reception and return straight after using it. Room very noisy, with extractor fans from kitchen, exagerated by hearing aids so couldn't wear them. Asked for room change, sorry full - none empty (except for the one with the hair dryer in) but then told that was taken. Bathroom was dirty, the shower door frame contained all sorts of black "stuff" including matted hair of the curly variety. Bath mat not left for second day use, so had to slum it on bare floor tiles, many of which were broken and lifing - danger of cut feet on sharp edges and then the state of the grouting left nothing for the imagination - all around the toilet pedestal and adjacent was stained yellowish/orange, obviously long term lack of cleanliness. Complained - reception just smile as though she couldn't understand me, but then she did this time last year.
The end of it all was when leaving I missed my footing and fell down the last few stairs landing prostrate in front of the reception desk. I hurt myself but did any of the staff care - you guessed, no. That's is not an issue though - We have stayed there every year for the past 4/5 years. Not again though, neither will quite a few other people who thoght the same that weekend. Hotel feed back form - completed with all above comments and returned to Head Office so they knew the situation - no response to date

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 May 2010

I stayed in the Rutland Hotel for a 5 day short break and found it to be very nice.
The room was clean and comfortable with a large bed and plenty of room to move.
The breakfast was of a very high standard with a buffet style service and unlimited choice.
The evening meals were of a g ood standard and could not fault the staff
The hotel did seem to be full of elderly pensioners coach parties and although full you would think that the hotel was empty in the evenings as the most people we saw in the bar was only 8-10 even though there was entertaiment laid on !!! In fact we were the only couple in the bar one night which was sad when the entertainer is playing to an audience of 2 ??
I did hear one woman complain at reception that the noise of the sea was keeping her awake (now thats sad) as the weather was excelent and the sea was flat calm.
All in all an excelent place to stay and i recomend it

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 January 2010

My friend and I didn't mind this hotel too much. The problem is the labrynth styled hallways which are extremely confusing. We never came out of the same door every time. At the end of my trip I ended up on the other side of the building going through a door I didn't even know existed. My friend was almost startled by the door I came through (she left before I did). There was also a fire at 6 am and we had to evacuate. The threat of fire is very possible and the narrow maze like hallways with doors every 5 feet is frightening and probably dangerous.

There is no pool and it is a very very long walk to any shops. My friend and I didn't mind the walk because it was sunny and decently warm our entire trip. But after a couple hikes the unreliable transportation, outrageously expensive taxis a closer hotel might be worth it. This hotel is also not very hip, mainly the elderly crowd (who are very judgmental) almost everything we did and said were met with stares. (Haven't they seen Americans before?) We were not rude or loud or dressed crazy, I was glared at and teased by locals for my parasol shaped umbrella!

Anyway, the locals are some of the kindest people I have ever met but the visitors are rude. They make nasty comments to your face, they will stare you out of restaurants, and they take over sidewalks. They are usually the elderly or the grand prix/ TT people. They are some of the rudest people I have every encountered.

Back to the hotel. I never heard any fan (a lot of people complained about a fan), it is quite the room comfortable and the bathroom is the best part of this hotel. The front staff are completely unprepared, they couldn't even recommend restaurants. They knew NOTHING about the area but they are very pleasant. We had an ocean view which was really nice and didn't cost any extra.

The one elevator was too small to fit myself and my suitcase (I am only 110 lbs!) and my suit case was a carry on. Goodluck and take what you want from this review. It is not a bad stay, very comfortable but definitely quirky. I would recommend this hotel if what I told you is not an issue.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank aylaj
Reviewed 6 December 2009

My husband and I spent an enjoyable weekend on the Isle of Man and at the Rutland Hotel.
The staff were very pleasant and helpful specially management and reception, restaurant staff looked after us with everything we needed, we had dinner two nights and the carvery looks fresh and a lot of varity as well as breakfast.
The room had a great see-view and to wake up was more than a pleasure, good tea&coffee facilities and a big bathroom.
There was not any bad points and we will go back again and we will stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 October 2009

I had a late arrival and the check-in was clear and quick. The first impression was ok. Public areas were cleaned and tidy, the room was spacios and clean, and the restaurant, the food was brilliant and great value for money. I would go back again.

Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank sharon94
Reviewed 23 October 2009

Stayed at the Rutland Hotel for 6 nights 15-22 October. Part of a coach party and accompanied my 81 year old Father.

I was a little worried when I read some of the comments but my fears had soon disappeared the minute we arrived.

The good points - The hotel was very clean, bedrooms kept to a high standard and the food was exceptional. No repetitions in a week of staying there. Restaurant staff were fantastic as were all the hotel staff. I was very impressed by the quality of food and the service.. you have to try the scrambled egg at breakfast.. to die for!

The hotel is located centrally in the middle of the promenade but that is 1 mile or so long and whilst it is in a good position for the electric railway it's a little walk to the town for those not so good at walking.

Room for Improvement - The lift is too small. With the hotel being occupied by a large percentage of elderly people there were often queues for a 2-man lift.

There was no access for disabled ie a ramp. If you had a wheelchair or motorised scooter it had to be carried however hotel staff were excellent with this and even charged my Dad's scooter in reception with no hassle. The steps outside were also dangerous when wet so just be careful.

Due to the high percentage of coach tours the dining room can get rather congested but this is such a small point.

The entertainment finishes at 10 pm and the drinks are very expensive large vodka and diet coke £6.10 and a glass of wine nearly £5 - buy your own at the off licence down the road and sit in your room!

OVERALL

An absolute delight.. great for tours and for the more mature audience. At 40-something the night life was not my cup of tea but if you are that inclined you could walk to the town! This hotel is a little jewel... with bright interiors, very high standard of cleanliness and food which was just fantastic there was little to complain about. I would recommend this to anyone apart from the disabled who may struggle. It has to be seen to be believed - you will not be disappointed.

I would like to officially record my thanks for such a fantastic stay and for making us feel so welcome.

Denise Watts (Exeter) and Reg Gobey (Stroud, Glos)

• Stayed: October 2009
2  Thank Exetercitygirl