“What a lovely weekend!”
Review of The Devonian

The Devonian
Ranked #2 of 37 Douglas B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 February 2013

A massive Thank-you to Gillian and Kevin, both of whom were fantastic hosts while I stayed at the Devonian when visiting my sister in the Isle of Man! Everywhere was spotless, the bedroom had all necessary amenities and was beautifully presented!
Although I didn't spend much time in the hotel due to only being on the Island for just over 24 hours, my experience there was a pleasant one! Breakfast in the morning was hearty, with lots to choose from and also cooked to order!!
All in all a lovely weekend and I would highly recommend The Devonian to anyone visiting the Isle of Man.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank jord21

Reviewed 17 January 2013

Was on business on the Island 8-10th January and needed somewhere to stay in Douglas. Saw this hotel on Tripadvisor, and booked on the strength of those recommendations. I was impressed with the Devonian. I had booked a single room, and was pleasantly suprised to find that I had been given a double room for the same price, as they were quiet in terms of guests. Very good, clean room, with good space for hanging and storing clothes. Shower and WC room spotless, with good quality shower, not one of those weak showers beloved by so many places. Wi-fi available everywhere in the building to a good speed. Plenty of choice at breakfast, with cereals and juices, plus a full range of hot breakfast items for all tastes. Manx breakfast sets you up well for the day. Couldn't fault the owners, or any of the staff, and would happily stay there again if returning.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank pcb1973
Reviewed 28 November 2012

Gillian and Kevin couldn't do enough to help us. I booked a double room for my son and me thinking it was a twin bedded room. I realised my mistake as soon as we were shown the room but that didn't phase Gillian and Kevin. The just put us into another room for that night while they changed the other room for us. That's service! The room was lovely. The location was ideal for our planned activities. We couldn't have asked for better. Breakfast was just lovely with great food and service. We will certainly want to stay with them the next time we come to the island.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank RobinParkes
Reviewed 23 November 2012

Friendly service , clean , helpful with travel arrangements and restaurant suggestions .Reasonable breakfast

Slightly old fashioned decor , a boutique hotel it isn't , no lounge area , wafer thin walls , ( woke up to the neighbouring rooms TV )

I think the reason this establishment gets high trip advisor reviews is more to do with the generally low standard on offer on the IOM and i have rated it as average compared with what i have experienced elsewhere .

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank 7777markw
Reviewed 19 October 2012

Great B&B on the Isle of Man!
Located just a few meters away from Douglas' promenade, the Devonian is really the good show (also compared to shabby 4 stars hotels that you may find in the area). The rooms are new, clean and very comfortable (if a bit small, but in line with B&B standards).
The added value is the owner, really kind and always happy to help.
Breakfast is amazing, cooked at the moment upon a wide choice of options (Full English Breakfast, pancakes, Eggs benedict, potato waffles etc):
Great choice!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Redbaobab
Reviewed 16 October 2012

Stayed here last weekend in September as my partner was over doing some work on his motorbike. Didn't arrive until late on the Friday and I was prior given the door code and on the table was an envelope with our room number and key.
The room was excellent, very clean and comfy however my partner was on crutches and we were in room 18 (not good.) The next morning we were seen to for breakfast (which was excellent, very varied menu ranging from all day breakfast to kippers..) When they seen my partner in crutches we were told to pack our bags and leave them by the door and out bags and us will be moved to room 3 before we got back. Excellent service or what!!
We had to leave early on Sunday and we notified them of this and we got a continental breakfast in our room which contained 2 crossoints, 2 bowls of cornflakes and a semi-skimmed milk - how thoughtful.
I would highly reccomend this B+B to anyone (maybe not families) and I will be visiting them again for deffinate.

Room Tip: I had 2 rooms as my partner was on cruches (top floor one night-room18 and bottom floor the next, ro...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 October 2012

In choosing our guest house via the internet, The Devonian certainly lived up to the praiseworthy reviews on Tripadvisor. My wife and I spent 3 wonderful days at this guest house between 16-19 September 2012 to celebrate our wedding anniversary exploring the magical Isle of Man. It was my fifth visit to the island - the last occasion being in 1971 - and my wife's first. The proprietors Kevin and Gillian were friendly and most helpful throughout our stay. Our room was very clean and comfortable and the breakfast menu was varied, including the cooked breakfast options which was most enjoyable. The generous summer fruits and pancake option was amazing and must have come close to the recommended '5-a-day' on its own - yummy!
In terms of location The Devonian is quite central, a short stroll from the spendid promenade and the adjacent Villa Marina with the main town shopping area just a 10-15 minute walk away and various restaurants and bars along the walk into town. Kevin, Gillian and their staff work very well as a team and strive to help make their guests feel comfortable and enjoy their time on the island.
We would certainly stay at The Devonian in the future and would recommend it to family and friends. As a short or longer holiday break destination, the Isle of Man has much to offer everyone - beautiful scenery, trains, rich and distinctive history and friendly people. I fell in love with the island over 40 years ago and it is much as I remember it. My wife too has fallen in love with the place and we look forward to our next visit. The weather during our stay was, for the most part mild, sunny and pleasantly warm with just an occasional brief rain shower.
Thank you Kevin, Gillian and staff for making our stay a memorable one.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple