“Enjoyed our stay!!!”

Ranked #3 of 27 Douglas B&B and Inns
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Enjoyed our stay!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2013

Good location,top marks on rooms, breakfast, welcome etc etc
Staff and Kevin the owner, very friendly and helpful, special praise for micheal and sharon who served us our breakfast and gave us info etc, a credit to any employer.
nothing was too much trouble and help advise given when we had problems with our car!!
A big thanks for everything we will be back.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Ellesmere Port, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2013

I was not aware that The Devonian on Broadway existed until my original travel plans were changed as the hotel I had booked had a problem and had to re-arrange my booking!

I was in two minds as to whether I should cancel and stay at home until I received a phone call from Kevin, the Proprietor of The Devonian, who offered to match the deal I had with the other hotel. I then discovered that my travelling companion was unable to travel leaving me requiring a single room. Kevin assured me that this was not a problem and let me have a single at a reduced price and I accepted the offer.

I can honestly say that I have never come across such a clean bed & breakfast. On arrival, Gillian escorted me to my room, which was immaculate and, having not long got off the ferry, felt awkward about sitting on the bed!

I was impressed with the breakfast times, 8:00 - 9:45 at weekends and 7:30 - 9:00 weekdays. The breakfast menu was also impressive as you could choose from poached egg on toast to a full Manx breakfast (which was substantial) with many other options in between!

If there is a slight niggle it is the exterior door which requires a passcode but if you don't drink too much beer this isn't a problem!!

All in all this is a quite excellent establishment with a superb location. To anybody who has never been to the Isle of Man or, like me, were unaware of it's existence, please give it a try. You will not be disappointed!

Hearty congratulations to Kevin, Gillian & staff on having a wonderful bed & breakfast.
I will see you again shortly

Mike Hull
Ellesmere Port

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank MikeyH_11
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2013

I've been staying on the Isle of Man for many decades now and have finally settled for the last five years on the Devonian for my regular visits. It's a budget-priced B&B but quite the best in Douglas, and I've stayed at some of the really expensive places and also those rated #1 and #2. OK, it's a Victorian terrace, and the rooms are what you'd therefore expect in terms of size and design, but they've continued to upgrade everything over the years. The beds and bathrooms are now well up to modern standards. Everything's very clean and the breakfasts absolutely top class. But above all, it's the personal, friendly touch from Gillian and Kevin that clinch it for me. #1 out of 26!

Room Tip: Less road noise at the back, if you're sensitive.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Gold Coast, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2013

We stayed at this lovely guesthouse for three nights and thought it was a great place in every way. Location, room, service and breakfast ..... it was all perfect. Even before arriving at the guesthouse, Gillian was so nice to reply to our questions by email and we felt so welcome already then. Arriving we found Gillian and Kevin and their staff to be excellent hosts and certainly made this guesthouse a great "Home away from Home". Should we come back to Isle of Man, we will definitely stay again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Ann-Charlotte V
Cookham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2013

A terrific B&B in a super location - within easy walking distance of all that Douglas has to offer. Our room, although basically furnished, was very clean and fresh with everything needed (including a large, comfortable kingsize double bed) to make for a very enjoyable and relaxing 4-night stay. Given the age of this property (early Victorian) it was converted beautifully to accommodate 18 rooms.
The team at The Devonian were friendly, helpful and extremely accommodating - we had an early start on the day of our departure and they freshly made us sandwiches (instead of breakfast), to eat on our journey 'across the water'. Breakfasts generally were 'excellent' - freshly cooked/prepared to order from a fantastic choice menu. (Try the pancakes with fresh berries and maple syrup - divine!).
The only 'negative' was the stairs (up-to the rooms), which were narrow, steep and there were lots of them - not ideal for the infirm or unfit!
All in all, a great value-for-money place to 'rest your head' for a few nights (or more!).

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 1st floor.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Dundalk, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2013

LOVED this bed and breakfast, stayed here last weekend, daughter moving over to start work on IOM. The room was very clean and warm, and I thought the freshly cooked breakfast in the morning was second to none. Staff were very friendly, and I thought it was excellent value for money. Would definitely staff again.

Room Tip: Choose a low numbered room, as the stairs may be a problem.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2013

Gillian, Kevin and their team were ultra friendly, approachable, helpful, accommodating, polite......and the breakfast really set you up for the day.
Full English, Eggs Benedict, Black Pudding Stack, besides the standard fare, for Brits & Continentals.
Good standard of decoration, CLEAN, TIDY and spacious room.
Very good value for money for our 3 night stay in Douglas.
Mature couple