“A*”
Review of The Devonian

The Devonian
Ranked #3 of 37 Douglas B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Myself and my partner stayed at The Devonian for 6 nights from 8th-14th August 2013. The B&B is in a fabulous location, a stones throw away from Douglas promenade and local amenities such as Villa Marina (there's a lovely Indian restaurant next door too if that's your thing!) When I book a place to stay I want three things: cleanliness, friendliness and location - The Devonian had all three, the B&B was spotless from our room to the hallway and the dining room, plus Kevin the owner who dealt with us during our stay was helpful and friendly! Our room was cleaned and the bed was made everyday. If you arrive by boat like we did, it's only a 10 minute walk along the promenade or £3 in a taxi.
The only drawback I had was because we booked less than a week before our stay and got the last room on Booking.com our room was on the top floor, which isn't ideal climbing a heap of stairs after a day of exploring the Isle of Man (I'd have struggled if I was older or had trouble walking) but I didn't mind as the B&B is lovely in comparison to some shoddy establishments we have seen on our travels. Also, the WiFi had a weak connection in our room, that was only our room though as we were furthest from the routers - however, we mentioned it to Kevin and we found out that he could possibly be installing a secondary router so that's good to hear for anybody who stays in the future! We still had the chance to use the dining room downstairs if we wanted full connection.
Breakfasts served at The Devonian are worth getting out of bed for, I had pancakes and fruit with brown toast and a lovely cup of tea everyday, whereas my partner tried a wide range of the menu (his favourite being sausage and bacon on toast!) the staff who serve you of a morning are pleasant and helpful too. You can try traditional Manx kippers of a morning if that's your thing.
Overall we had a fabulous stay at The Devonian, and if I was to visit the Isle of Man again it would definitely be our B&B of choice.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nigella69

Reviewed 30 July 2013

The owner and all staff were very friendly and helpful, from my first telephone enquiry to leaving a continental breakfast for my very early departure for the ferry. All the hotel was very clean and tastefully decorated with pleasant decor and furnishings. My single room was of an adequate size, with a proper ensuite shower etc, and not a cupboard fitted into a corner, as in some hotels. There was nothing shoddy and everything worked.
The breakfast was very good.
Location is excellent, a minute's walk from the promenade. My room was at the back and quiet.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank traveller4803
Reviewed 29 July 2013

This hotel was in an ideal location in the heart of Douglas. I was there with a group of motor cyclists for 5 days. The hotel and room was clean and the staff very welcoming. My room was on the top floor, and if I remember right there were 5 or 6 flights of stairs. Not ideal with all my bike gear on. Parking was a bit of challenge too, there’s no dedicated facilities so we had to line up our motorcycles up on the pavement opposite… which is on a hill. Breakfast was ample and a good start to the day, the dining room could have been a little bigger I thought given the number of rooms.

I guess the biggest drawback was the lack of a bar or communal room where we could all sit together as a group. We tended to gather on the hotel steps before heading out for the evening. I guess this place is better suited for couples rather than groups.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We stayed at the Devonian on Several occasions and found Gillian and Kevin to be welcoming and although they do not serve evening meals, were quite happy to provide plates and cutlery when we got something from the local take away.

Mostly we used the basement room which is like a large bedsitter with 2 single beds, a double, a fridge and TV. This suited our purpose as I needed a family room but the upstairs rooms are probably a little better having been renovated recently. If you have trouble with stairs, then bear in mind there are no lifts.

Breakfast is good and this is usually the only time you can guarantee seeing the hosts about but there is a number to ring if you have any major issues.

Douglas can be a rather rowdy place on a Saturday night but as an experienced traveller I always carry earplugs. It was pot luck as to whether I needed them or not but this is more about the area than the building.

This is not a 5 star building but it is good value compared to some of the hotels particularly in the flexibility and friendliness of the hosts. If they didn't have anyone there the next day, Gillian and Kevin would let us stay until well after check out time.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Good location,top marks on rooms, breakfast, welcome etc etc
Staff and Kevin the owner, very friendly and helpful, special praise for micheal and sharon who served us our breakfast and gave us info etc, a credit to any employer.
nothing was too much trouble and help advise given when we had problems with our car!!
A big thanks for everything we will be back.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 June 2013

I was not aware that The Devonian on Broadway existed until my original travel plans were changed as the hotel I had booked had a problem and had to re-arrange my booking!

I was in two minds as to whether I should cancel and stay at home until I received a phone call from Kevin, the Proprietor of The Devonian, who offered to match the deal I had with the other hotel. I then discovered that my travelling companion was unable to travel leaving me requiring a single room. Kevin assured me that this was not a problem and let me have a single at a reduced price and I accepted the offer.

I can honestly say that I have never come across such a clean bed & breakfast. On arrival, Gillian escorted me to my room, which was immaculate and, having not long got off the ferry, felt awkward about sitting on the bed!

I was impressed with the breakfast times, 8:00 - 9:45 at weekends and 7:30 - 9:00 weekdays. The breakfast menu was also impressive as you could choose from poached egg on toast to a full Manx breakfast (which was substantial) with many other options in between!

If there is a slight niggle it is the exterior door which requires a passcode but if you don't drink too much beer this isn't a problem!!

All in all this is a quite excellent establishment with a superb location. To anybody who has never been to the Isle of Man or, like me, were unaware of it's existence, please give it a try. You will not be disappointed!

Hearty congratulations to Kevin, Gillian & staff on having a wonderful bed & breakfast.
I will see you again shortly

Mike Hull
Ellesmere Port

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank MikeyH_11
Reviewed 12 June 2013

I've been staying on the Isle of Man for many decades now and have finally settled for the last five years on the Devonian for my regular visits. It's a budget-priced B&B but quite the best in Douglas, and I've stayed at some of the really expensive places and also those rated #1 and #2. OK, it's a Victorian terrace, and the rooms are what you'd therefore expect in terms of size and design, but they've continued to upgrade everything over the years. The beds and bathrooms are now well up to modern standards. Everything's very clean and the breakfasts absolutely top class. But above all, it's the personal, friendly touch from Gillian and Kevin that clinch it for me. #1 out of 26!

Room Tip: Less road noise at the back, if you're sensitive.