“Good value B&B in central location”
Review of The Devonian

The Devonian
Ranked #2 of 37 Douglas B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 September 2013

This is a well run and comfortable B&B near the Villa Marina. In recent years we had stayed at the airport hotel and would have done this year but for the fact that they had increased their charges by 36% over the last time we went, so we checked the tripadvisor reviews and decided to stay at The Devonian. We are pleased we stayed there as the room was clean and comfortable with a newly refurbished en-suite bathroom. We were on the 2nd floor at the back, so whilst there was no view and it was a little dark it was very quiet at night. The proprietor, Kevin, was very welcoming. The breakfasts were superb and gluten free bread was provided for my partner. The Devonian is handy for the theatre, the shopping centre and the restaurants. It is a very good B&B.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Stuart B

Reviewed 5 September 2013

Very clean and friendly, great service and good breakfast. Lovely and helpful staff Nicky & Mick, Front rooms are the best, light and sunny, back rooms a little dark, lots of stairs and can be noisy at night when other guests are coming in.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front are best, bright and sunny, back rooms dark with no sun
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank graymar
Reviewed 19 August 2013

we stayed here in July with a group of friends went over on our motorcycles for the southern 100 had a fantastic stay room was great we were on the first floor on the front view was great could be a little noisy on a Friday and Saturday night due to revellers returning back up the hill to there homes/hotels. Just want to say a big thank you to Kevin and his wife and all the staff who made us very welcome would defiantly stay here again.

Room Tip: front rooms are big and roomy can be a little noisy as on a major route
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank trog15
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Myself and my partner stayed at The Devonian for 6 nights from 8th-14th August 2013. The B&B is in a fabulous location, a stones throw away from Douglas promenade and local amenities such as Villa Marina (there's a lovely Indian restaurant next door too if that's your thing!) When I book a place to stay I want three things: cleanliness, friendliness and location - The Devonian had all three, the B&B was spotless from our room to the hallway and the dining room, plus Kevin the owner who dealt with us during our stay was helpful and friendly! Our room was cleaned and the bed was made everyday. If you arrive by boat like we did, it's only a 10 minute walk along the promenade or £3 in a taxi.
The only drawback I had was because we booked less than a week before our stay and got the last room on Booking.com our room was on the top floor, which isn't ideal climbing a heap of stairs after a day of exploring the Isle of Man (I'd have struggled if I was older or had trouble walking) but I didn't mind as the B&B is lovely in comparison to some shoddy establishments we have seen on our travels. Also, the WiFi had a weak connection in our room, that was only our room though as we were furthest from the routers - however, we mentioned it to Kevin and we found out that he could possibly be installing a secondary router so that's good to hear for anybody who stays in the future! We still had the chance to use the dining room downstairs if we wanted full connection.
Breakfasts served at The Devonian are worth getting out of bed for, I had pancakes and fruit with brown toast and a lovely cup of tea everyday, whereas my partner tried a wide range of the menu (his favourite being sausage and bacon on toast!) the staff who serve you of a morning are pleasant and helpful too. You can try traditional Manx kippers of a morning if that's your thing.
Overall we had a fabulous stay at The Devonian, and if I was to visit the Isle of Man again it would definitely be our B&B of choice.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nigella69
Reviewed 30 July 2013

The owner and all staff were very friendly and helpful, from my first telephone enquiry to leaving a continental breakfast for my very early departure for the ferry. All the hotel was very clean and tastefully decorated with pleasant decor and furnishings. My single room was of an adequate size, with a proper ensuite shower etc, and not a cupboard fitted into a corner, as in some hotels. There was nothing shoddy and everything worked.
The breakfast was very good.
Location is excellent, a minute's walk from the promenade. My room was at the back and quiet.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank traveller4803
Reviewed 29 July 2013

This hotel was in an ideal location in the heart of Douglas. I was there with a group of motor cyclists for 5 days. The hotel and room was clean and the staff very welcoming. My room was on the top floor, and if I remember right there were 5 or 6 flights of stairs. Not ideal with all my bike gear on. Parking was a bit of challenge too, there’s no dedicated facilities so we had to line up our motorcycles up on the pavement opposite… which is on a hill. Breakfast was ample and a good start to the day, the dining room could have been a little bigger I thought given the number of rooms.

I guess the biggest drawback was the lack of a bar or communal room where we could all sit together as a group. We tended to gather on the hotel steps before heading out for the evening. I guess this place is better suited for couples rather than groups.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We stayed at the Devonian on Several occasions and found Gillian and Kevin to be welcoming and although they do not serve evening meals, were quite happy to provide plates and cutlery when we got something from the local take away.

Mostly we used the basement room which is like a large bedsitter with 2 single beds, a double, a fridge and TV. This suited our purpose as I needed a family room but the upstairs rooms are probably a little better having been renovated recently. If you have trouble with stairs, then bear in mind there are no lifts.

Breakfast is good and this is usually the only time you can guarantee seeing the hosts about but there is a number to ring if you have any major issues.

Douglas can be a rather rowdy place on a Saturday night but as an experienced traveller I always carry earplugs. It was pot luck as to whether I needed them or not but this is more about the area than the building.

This is not a 5 star building but it is good value compared to some of the hotels particularly in the flexibility and friendliness of the hosts. If they didn't have anyone there the next day, Gillian and Kevin would let us stay until well after check out time.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family