“Great stay during the TT”
Review of Glen Mona

Glen Mona
Ranked #12 of 37 Douglas B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 June 2013

My husband and I stayed at Glen Mona for four nights during the TT.

A couple of things that I always look for when I stay anywhere is cleanliness and how friendly the staff are and Glen Mona ticked every box in this department.

Glen Mona is one of three properties managed by HQ Bar and Restaurant and the bar is pretty much where you go for everything. I’d already seen this on trip advisor but if you miss it then there’s a clear notice on the door and it would be pretty impossible to miss where the HQ is.

The room was pretty much as expected with everything we needed. It was absolutely spotless and had a good supply of tea, coffee and biscuits each day !!! Bathroom very clean and had a decent shower where you can use toiletries that are also provided.

Breakfast is up at the HQ and is plentiful. There is fruit juice, cereal, tea, coffee toast and a comprehensive hot buffet. If you can’t find what you want then just ask and it was never a problem – if they had it then they’d provide it.

All staff were incredibly friendly and really couldn’t do enough for us. It was obvious there were a lot of TT regulars staying there and you can see why.

We ate at the HQ a couple of nights and always had a nightcap in there. The food was fantastic. A varied menu that was cooked to order, plentiful and hot.

I wouldn’t hesitate to stay at Glen Mona or any of the other HQ residencies again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank CazCharlie

Reviewed 29 May 2013

Just returned from the Glen Mona after a lovely couple of days stay. The rooms were lovely and clean and provided everything we needed. Tea/Coffee provided in the room. TV great, and also a lovely lounge downstairs where you could relax away from the bedrooms. A lovely breakfast at the main Hotel was included, either full English or Kippers (if requested). Overall a very pleasant hassle free stay. I'm sure we will stay again when we return to the Isle of Man. Thanks to all.
The Summers Family.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 April 2013

We arrived to an unstaffed hotel, and were told by two other guests in the lounge area that we must check in at the nearby HQ pub. We were given keys and directions to the room (fourth floor walk-up on narrow, winding staircases with luggage...not fun). The room was the smallest I've ever been in, barely fitting our double bed with narrow paths around the edges.

Though two of us were checked in, we were given one towel. The kettle was broken. No phone was in the room. The heating was off and the room was freezing cold (it was 0C during our visit). We asked for a replacement kettle and were given one; we asked for another towel set and were given one damp bath sheet.

The layout of the rooms is such that 2 or 3 rooms are located on small corridors off the small stairwell. The hotel seemed entirely taken up by a party of some kind, as we were woken at 1am by shouting in the rooms in our corridor. We asked the party to be quiet (they were dressed as smurfs) and went back to sleep. We were woken again at 3:30am by people running up and down the stairs screaming. Those across from us were running the bath with the door open. With no porter and no staff in the hotel at night, and no phone in our room, the place is completely unmanned. There is no recourse except to speak to the other (drunk, unruly) guests ourselves.

The next morning we asked for a refund so that we could move to another hotel for the remaining three days of our stay and we were refused. The woman at the bar said since she wasn't the one who had booked in the party, she wasn't responsible for their behaviour, and would only move us to another of their properties. If only the trouble had stopped there.

I rate this hotel abysmal. DO NOT STAY HERE. Godawful rooms, noisy as anything, with absolutely no staff day or night.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank amanda_abroad
Reviewed 28 March 2013

I go over to the Isle every month for 1 night with work. They always put me up in the Glen Mona. I don't know why, whether it's cheaper than any other place in Douglas or the fact it is open all year round, I don't know. What I do know is. Every time I arrive at about 6 in the evening I get a real friendly welcome up at HQ bar where you check in and I always get a fantastic room for the price (room 4 is my favorite) Jacuzzi bath, massively comfy bed, views down to the sea front and it is double bayed yet so warm and comfy with excellent fitting and fixtures. Miles better than the usual premier inn I get put up in.

Breakfast is served in The HQ bar 15 metres up the road. Perfect Manx Breakfast everytime. Only problem with it is it's missing another everything on the plate :) apart from that it's perfect!

I'm looking at coming over with the missus one time and would not stay anywhere else. I do recommend.

Room Tip: Eat in the HQ bar and restaurant. Food and service is QUALITY!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 March 2013

Chose this hotel due to it's location being close to the Sefton hotel where my friends where performing . The room was very nice , the bed was really comfy and came with tea making facilities , iron and ironing board , en suite bathroom which was very nice . Got access to free wi-fi however depending on what mobile network you are on you may not get a phone signal in the room .
The staff where helpful , would stay here again .

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 July 2012

Stayed at the weekend, had lovely rooms.
The hotel is split over two sites that are only 2 minutes apart one had the rooms in, the other was for dining. My only complaint was with lastminutehotels.com and not the hotel owners, I asked for a ground floor room for a person in our party who has mobility problems but the info wasn't conveyed to the hotel owners, the hotel owners tried to accommodate us but in the end the disabled person managed with a luxury first floor room. I advise calling to check before booking if you need a ground floor room.

The rooms were spacious, light airy, full of mod cons, lovely fluffy towels, shower that got hot (baths are a bit high to get in for disabled people though as they have jacuzzis in them).

TV's have subtitles, coffee/tea/cappuccino/horlicks/chocolate making facilities! Iron & board, desk area. The large luxury room had a sofa & 6ft bed, sea view.

Food was good and varied, some things were available off the menu like gammon but we didn't realise. Breakfast is cereal/fruit and cooked which you help yourself to and is free if you are staying there. You can also order off the menu such as American pancakes or Manx kippers.

I tried a Celtic Mist drink for the first time! Yummy!

Staff are lovely and friendly and very helpful.
Would stop again but would book ahead for person with mobility problems.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank Lil_Bluerose
Reviewed 24 June 2012

This was an ideal and excellent booking that ticked all the boxes for our first time visit to the beautiful IOM. Our room was so spacious, spotlessly clean, and our bed was the most comfortable I've experienced in a long while. A recently refurbished en-suite and loads of fluffy towels were really appreciated, the bathroom was cosy warm all the time. At HQ, breakfast buffet was delicious and plentiful. The waiting on staff were so attentive as were Angela and Chris our hosts. Their chef produced excellent meals. A coffee on the outdoor terrace gave a view overlooking the promenade and down to the sea front, our weather was beautiful too. We really enjoyed our stay at the Glen Mona and will come back again. We recommend to one and all this very welcoming Hotel. I wanted to stay longer! Many thanks Angela and Chris, from Francine and Michael

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple