“Lovely stay”

Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Whitley Bay
Dublin, Ireland
“Lovely stay”
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Just completed a 4 night stay in the Royal Hotel with my partner and we're both very impressed overall. The hotel is newly renovated and very comfortable. The breakfast is excellent as set out by recent reviewers. Our room had a lovely seaview and was excellently decorated. The staff were really freindly and efficient from the reception, to the breakfast to the bar. The location of the hotel is unparalled in Whitley Bay in my view, you can drift of to sleep genuinely listening to the sea at night and arguably the best Indian, Italian, contemporary English and Chineese restaurants in Whitley Bay are in the same block within yards of the hotel door. I would love to rate this hotel as 'excellent' rather than as 'very good', the small quibbles I have are the shortage of parking at the hotel and the finishing time of breakfast (9.00am).

There are a few spaces right in a line in front of the hotel for guest parking, these understandibly fill up and to get one in the evening, our experience was that you needed to wait for a considerable time unless you were very lucky. From 5.30pm however there is free parking in the streets adjacent to the hotel until 9.00 am, however parking is charged from then. This is more an inconvenience thing as spaces come free in front of the hotel in the morning but the material fact is that you have to be up and out by 9.00 am. This relates to my second small quibble. This is a hotel in a lovely sea-side resort. For us anyway, part of a lovely stay means having a breakfast option beyond a 9.00 am finish, even 10.00 am would make such a difference. My partner skipped breakfast for this reason preferring a lie in to getting up before 9.00 am.

Apart from these relatively minor quibbles, we would really hearily recommend the Royal.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank J F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Claybrooke Magna, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights (Great North Run) and we can't rate the hotel highly enough. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Our room was huge and clean and warm and airy even though we didn't have a sea view. The choice at breakfast was unbelievable with cereals, fruits, yogurts and the full english cooked breakfast on offer. They were more than happy to accomodate my food intolerances and I had plenty of choice. Parking our car was no problem. Hotel was perfectly situated for walks along the beach, local shops and bars and sightseeing a bit further afield. We will definitely stay here again when we visit Newcastle. The bed was so comfy I had the best 2 nights sleep in a long time and was quite gutted to leave it behind!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Kettering, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2013 via mobile

I had a one night stay here before a run the following day. The staff are friendly and helpful and the room was perfect for what I needed. Location was 5 minutes walk to the metro or right on the sea front if that's what your after. If I ever did the Great North Run again I would stay here again!

• Stayed September 2013
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2013

I booked to stay the night before the Great North Run. Even with the hotel at capacity, the level of service was exceptional.

Clean and well equipped rooms, although I had a small room, this was reflective of the price.

I'll definitely be booking to stay again.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Chris G
warwickshire,england
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Was not expecting a lot for some reaso, but was pleasantly surprised. On arrival was greeted with a smiling helpful receptionist who checked us in quickly and promptly sjowed us personally to our rooms. The rooms were above basic with tea facility, good Tv, very clean and freshly decorated. Bathroom was clean and a good shower (thank god) plenty towels . Breakfast was a total delight ,freshly cooked and attentive cook/waitress. Who was surprised when I inquired if the scambled eggs were real or powdered, who then informed me she scrambled them herself. Plenty fresh tea and toast nothing a problem for them. Lovely bar next door owned by hotel.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank killaveg
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I stayed for 1 night in this hotel and it was first class. The single room was clean, comfortable and looked as if it had just been re-vamped. The bathroom was huge and the shower first class. It was also very clean as was the rest of the bathroom. I stayed over on a Saturday night and it was quiet and peaceful. They do not accept hen or stag parties !! The woman at reception was welcoming and helpful. The breakfast was excellent(included in the price), good quality ingredients and beautifully cooked. There was also an extensive selection of cereals, fruit juices, yogurts, cold meats, cheese, breads, cakes and fresh fruit. The staff member on duty in the Breakfast Room was so friendly and helpful. The Breakfast Room itself was light and airy complemented by good quality furnishings. I did manage to get parked in front of the hotel.
I shall certainly use this hotel when next I visit the area.

Room Tip: This hotel is on the seafront. If you like the notion of opening your curtains and enjoying "a...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank fear-teagaisg
Ludlow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 September 2013

i have stayed for 2 nights all together and i have booked again, great place to stay, staff friendly and helpful,clean and tidy ,breakfast excellent and the restaurant next door is good.the area was quiet and not to far away from all the amenities,parking a bit scarce at the front of the hotel but plenty round the corner.

Room Tip: sea view rooms are great
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
#7 of 9 in Whitley Bay
Oaktree Lodge
Oaktree Lodge
#1 of 9 in Whitley Bay

Been to The Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!