“Brilliant place to stay”
Review of The Royal Hotel

The Royal Hotel
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Whitley Bay
Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Brilliant place to stay”
Reviewed 2 October 2013

My second visit to this hotel, and the service was exactly the same as the first, brilliant. The only difference this time was that all the staff remembered me,and my gluten intolerance.
The reception I got was very friendly, and I was shown to my room which was well equipped, and quite spacious for myself.
The bathroom was very clean, with fresh linen awaiting me, and the shower, athough compact, was superb.
The breakfast the following morning was as good as ever, with a buffet style help yourself to everything, which was everything!
The staff were very friendly, and couldnt do enough for you..I would certainly recommend this hotel if you are looking for an inexpensive stay in Whitley Bay, to unwond and relax with the beach just over the road...its brilliant.

Room Tip: The rooms at the front of the hotel have better views, but they can be noisy until around 11pm when...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
newcastle
Reviewed 1 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a friends wedding and nothing was too much trouble for the staff we had to check in early that was fine aswell the room was beautiful with stunning veiws and nice bfast in the morning think it was a bit pricy but was a good overall stay would stay again :)x

Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We went to Whitley Bay for a family wedding and stayed two nights at the Royal.We were lucky as we were upgraded to a large room on the first floor with a sea view.Luckily for everyone we had a sunny day for the wedding which was at NorthShields.The hotel included a full English breakfast which was good to set us up for the day.We found the hotel staff very helpful and they went out of their way to show us the way to the reception.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Just completed a 4 night stay in the Royal Hotel with my partner and we're both very impressed overall. The hotel is newly renovated and very comfortable. The breakfast is excellent as set out by recent reviewers. Our room had a lovely seaview and was excellently decorated. The staff were really freindly and efficient from the reception, to the breakfast to the bar. The location of the hotel is unparalled in Whitley Bay in my view, you can drift of to sleep genuinely listening to the sea at night and arguably the best Indian, Italian, contemporary English and Chineese restaurants in Whitley Bay are in the same block within yards of the hotel door. I would love to rate this hotel as 'excellent' rather than as 'very good', the small quibbles I have are the shortage of parking at the hotel and the finishing time of breakfast (9.00am).

There are a few spaces right in a line in front of the hotel for guest parking, these understandibly fill up and to get one in the evening, our experience was that you needed to wait for a considerable time unless you were very lucky. From 5.30pm however there is free parking in the streets adjacent to the hotel until 9.00 am, however parking is charged from then. This is more an inconvenience thing as spaces come free in front of the hotel in the morning but the material fact is that you have to be up and out by 9.00 am. This relates to my second small quibble. This is a hotel in a lovely sea-side resort. For us anyway, part of a lovely stay means having a breakfast option beyond a 9.00 am finish, even 10.00 am would make such a difference. My partner skipped breakfast for this reason preferring a lie in to getting up before 9.00 am.

Apart from these relatively minor quibbles, we would really hearily recommend the Royal.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank J F
Claybrooke Magna, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights (Great North Run) and we can't rate the hotel highly enough. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Our room was huge and clean and warm and airy even though we didn't have a sea view. The choice at breakfast was unbelievable with cereals, fruits, yogurts and the full english cooked breakfast on offer. They were more than happy to accomodate my food intolerances and I had plenty of choice. Parking our car was no problem. Hotel was perfectly situated for walks along the beach, local shops and bars and sightseeing a bit further afield. We will definitely stay here again when we visit Newcastle. The bed was so comfy I had the best 2 nights sleep in a long time and was quite gutted to leave it behind!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Kettering, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2013 via mobile

I had a one night stay here before a run the following day. The staff are friendly and helpful and the room was perfect for what I needed. Location was 5 minutes walk to the metro or right on the sea front if that's what your after. If I ever did the Great North Run again I would stay here again!

London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2013

I booked to stay the night before the Great North Run. Even with the hotel at capacity, the level of service was exceptional.

Clean and well equipped rooms, although I had a small room, this was reflective of the price.

I'll definitely be booking to stay again.

1 Thank Chris G
#7 of 9 in Whitley Bay
Oaktree Lodge
Oaktree Lodge
#2 of 9 in Whitley Bay

Been to The Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!