“Could be so much better!”
Review of The Boardwalk - CLOSED

The Boardwalk
Price range: US$3 - US$16
Cuisines: British, Cafe
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Boardwalk Cafe is situated on Whitley Bay Promenade overlooking the sand, sea and St Mary's Lighthouse. Open from 9am to 4pm, 365 days of the year, we serve a variety of hot food and snacks. Full English Breakfast (our £1.99 Breakfast Special), Paninis, Nachos, Burgers and Sandwiches, a wide range of teas and coffees as well as a fully licensed bar. The Boardwalk is available for private hire day or night.
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I have been to this place twice now. First time my coffee was slopped into my saucer and the waitress just laughed and didn't even offer a napkin to soak it up, and it tasted very weak and tasteless.
Second time I tried the £1-99 breakfast. Never again! it was the worst tasting sausage I have ever had, if you could call it a sausage, more like a pre-frozen mush! It would make so much more sense to charge more, as the other cafe's and restaurants do locally and have much better ingredients?
The owners should seriously consider why their establishment was nearly empty on a sunday lunchtime when ALL the others in the local and further away places are soooo busy? Why is this? It's because your staff talk in the main entry area on the phone with their friends and the food is very poor, and no nice friendly chatting to the people who come in, you don't seem interested in your paying guests at all, creating a non-friendly atmosphere and very unprofessisonal attitude of your staff.
Also get rid of the big TV its not necessary! People come down there for the lovely view not for a TV blaring in the main cafe!
The only saving grace was the cake I had was actually lovely, so if you can't run a restaurant change it to a nice tea/coffee and cake place? That's if you get staff who can make a decent cup of coffee that is, or a better coffe machine!

Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

I found it sad to think that the boardwalk staff would shelter a small class of 6 year old children in what I could describe as thunder Thursday rain today, all the kids got drenched and they wouldn't shelter them, even if they had money to get a drink each, they turned them away saying there was too many. as a parent I like businesses that have a community spirit and caring natures and it would have been a lovely deed to shelter them while the rain passed, this place is run by heartless owners/ staff and there coffee is as tasteless as the people that run it... Shame on you !

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Absolute filth!!! I ordered a coffee and the cup was covered in hair and dust from a dirty dish cloth. The young chap behind the till was helpful but the old girl was very sharp with her bark on ordering my breakfast......... Now for the breakfast, I know it was only £1.99 but dear me that was vastly overpriced with cold beans and sausage (love to say SAUSAGES but got told off when asking to swap the egg for another sausage). Definitely will not be giving The Broadwalk another chance.

3  Thank 24TomTom
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I am very confused by the mix of reviews for this venue. This delightfully situated restaurant seemed very nice when we visited for lunch whilst on holiday recently. We were greeted by a very jovial man who showed us to our table and told us to come to the counter to order when ready which I duly did. As it was lunchtime we chose a light snack of chicken burgers with chips and coffee. Our host brought us our drinks and the days newspapers and chatted with the other customers and making a fuss of some children. The food was well presented and good value. Just before we left a couple of ladies (I assume regulars) arrived and were shown to the table next to ours which had been decorated for one of the ladies Birthdays. I felt it is a very friendly, welcoming atmosphere and would certainly return again if in the area.

1  Thank Marvinandroid
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We stopped in here on a sunday afternoon after finding everywhere else full. its a lovely location and we got a good seat by the window out to sea. The man on the till was frinedly enough taking our order and when it came out it was very nice. we had jacket potato and cheese (plenty of this which was great!) with some crisps, and a panini again with crisps, which were both very nice. The price was very reasonable and if the building and service was improved then they could charge a lot more. Our dessert and coffees didnt come out so we had to ask, and then a group of teens came in who started chatting and messing around with the 2 younger waiters. I can only assume these waiters are family of the man who looked like the owner, as no way would a normal boss let them get away with it. they were shouting and chatting and acting very unprofessional, talking about how they didnt want to be there in front of their customers. The building itself looks very bland, it was a bit dirty and a bit empty, almost like its not really finished. This place could be lovely so its a shame that the owners at present dont seem that bothered about improving it. The food was nice which is indeed the main thing, but everything else is a let down.

1  Thank carlotta-ann