“Great Location in middle of Whitley Bay and Clean”

Windsor Hotel - Whitley Bay
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Whitley Bay
Reviewed 2 August 2009

Just got back from a wedding with my girlfriend and stopped at the windsor hotel, Its a ideal place, by far the best in whitley bay. Its very clean and has one of the best W/C`s we`ve ever used in a hotel. Breakfast`s are lovely and staff are nice and helpful. The place is for people having a drinking weekend though and as a result can be quite noisy from outside but the hotel itself is very quiet we found and we were next to the steps on the first floor. Definately recommend it for stags and hen party etc. or couples in their 18-30`s but probably a bit too lively for anyone much older.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 19 February 2009

Second time ive stopped here and its been ok. Double rooms are spacious and comfortable with decent bathroom and nice power shower. There didn’t seem to be any wifi available which was a minus for me and though some Sky channels were available on the TV they didn’t seem to work. The secure car park to the rear is a nice aspect also. It’s a reasonable price at £59 B&B and the restaurant is actually quite good though let down by the service. I stopped here last year and the restaurant was left in the hands of two poorly trained teenagers and service wasn’t good. This year a bit better the food came out ok but got my sweet order wrong and I don’t think the bill was quite right but it was marginally in our favour so not to worry! It’s a reasonable place to stay I’d probably go back yet again but I maybe seeking out an alternative for next time.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 July 2008

well what can i say, the hotel rooms were ok, wallpaper could do with being changed starting to peel off in places, the bathroom was nice, quite large , breakfast was adequate, hadnt even finished my cereal when they placed my english breakfast in front of me. would not go again. whitley bay is a dump, fine if you are 20 years old and want to go on the town, the place is dirty smells of hot dogs and is full of stag dos, hen nights, 21sts they JUST KEPTccomngcoach load after coach load, we looked out of our bedroom window to see someone urinating against the wall and the person next to him was vomitting and this was only 8pm, the noise from outside was awful and didnt subside until 4pm. DO NOT GO !!!!!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank juesysch
Reviewed 15 April 2008

The B&B price was very good.
The bedrooms are large and sleeping was undisturbed.
I could not fault the cleanliness of the place, but something needs to be done about all the cigarette ends outside. Can't they get the local council to clean the area daily?
There was adequate secure parking at the rear.
The bar area was comfortable but the selection of drinks was totally inadequate. There were no malt whiskies and only two blends. The barman promised to get Scotch, but didn't.
The dining room was spacious and the food superb. The biggest problem was the lack of sufficient waiting staff. The ones that were there were slow, untrained and unsupervised. At one breakfast sitting, I had to ask for salt and pepper, milk and sugar, then marmalade. A smile and a sorry is just not good enough.
The nightclubs across the road did not bother me.
I enjoyed being within a short walk from the sea.
My biggest complaint is: during the 4 days I was there, I did not see anyone who appeared to be in charge.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank dosscot
Reviewed 24 July 2007

I have been staying at the Windsor Hotel for the past month now as I am working at the Newcastle branch of my company and they decided to pitch my workmate and me in Whitlet Bay.

Well for starters Whitley Bay is a complete dump, a old story of a nice old seaside town gone downhill but has now found a market for Stag & Hen doo's with cheap drink and gawdy bars. The Windsor is placed smack in the middle of the "Strip" and stands out like a sore thumb whith its fine apperance in middle of what looks like backwater Blackpool.

First impressions of the Hotel are good, with clean modern furniture, the nice cosy bar with giant plasma screen and the modern restuarant on opposite side from reception. The staff are proffesional and helpful however we did have a few little problems getting what we ordered from the Polish waitresses who when asked for some toast and cereal brought me a full english breakfast.

The rooms are of various sizes but all have a comfotable beds, digi box and big bathrooms. However I do find that with the stag weekends maybe the hotel needs to check every nook and cranny. My first week, room 26 had a disturbing large brown stain next to my bed, next week room 22 had a packet of condoms lodge under the matress, week after room 52 had two large blood stains on bedroom wall and bathroom with crusty stains on sheets that weren't replaced, then final week room 37 bed spring is jutting through matress. These are minor things however but I would say ask for a rear or side facing room as the windows and walls are paper thin and you can here every drunk and car roaring past, which will keep you up.

On a final note, I would recommend the Windsor if you need a bed for a night in Whitley bay as it is a fairly nice hotel with a good resturant and bar with excellent staff.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled on business
2  Thank scottishworker
Reviewed 5 June 2007

There was elevan including ourselves who stayed at the Windsor Hotel from the 25/05/07 to 29/05/07, we all went on motor bikes for a long weekend and it was really good, the main advantage to us was secure parking at the rear of the hotel with cctv.
I had read reviews about the hotel so was a little dubious - but have no worries, when i booked in i asked for quiet rooms which we were allocated one of the couples room was noisy but they were soon moved without any problems.

The rooms are immaculate and i would say in my opinion not long been renovated the beds were comfortable, the bathrooms brilliant with a seperate shower, tea and coffee making facilities.

The breakfast was very good in the Bazil brassiere which is decorated very nice.

We only had bar meals some nights in the hotel bar again very good for bar food, did try to get into the Bazil Brassiere for a meal but it was closed on a Sunday night and Bank holiday Monday night which we did think a bit off!

The hotel is smack bang in the middle of a very lively street there are all bars with some staying open till the early hours, there were alot of youngsters enjoying themselves with stag and hen nights BUT we slept fine with little disturbance as did all our friends some who had rooms at the front! There is a police presence but did not see any trouble while we were there.

The sea front is literaly out the hotel door and turn right with a lovely bit of beach, across the road from the front are various resturants which consist of Indian, Italian and the normal pizza and kebabs. We had a meal at one of the Indians and it was lovely.

The Avalon across the road is a good motorbike hotel and spent a couple of nights in the bar.

All the group enjoyed their stay and would highly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2007
1  Thank dona1667
Reviewed 23 May 2007

I stayed in the windsor for just one noght but that was enough to convince me never to stay there again. The rooms are actually very nice and well layed out. Unfortunatley there was a flat roof directly outside my window so for security I couldn't leave the window open. During the night even with the heating off the room was like a sauna. At 3:30am the drunks arrived back running up and down the halway shouting. There are only thin doors to the rooms so it was very loud. Reception was very aware of what was going on but nothing was done.

Breakfast was an experience in itself. The fried egg had passed though the rubbery stage (it left the sausage there) and moved onto the solid imovable stage.

I stayed at the hotel midweek so god only knows what it's like at weekends. One plus to the hotel, I had somehting to eat in the bar attached tot he hotel and the steak and kidney pie was delicious.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled on business
#5 of 9 in Whitley Bay
Hotel 52
Hotel 52
#7 of 9 in Whitley Bay

Been to Windsor Hotel - Whitley Bay? Share your experiences!