“only ideal for stag nights”
Review of Ocean Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Whitley Bay
Ocean Inn
Ranked #21 of 23 Whitley Bay B&B and Inns
solihull
“only ideal for stag nights”
Reviewed 9 September 2013

after reading reviews some of our party cancelled and booked elsware but im pleased we didnt we had 4 bed room and found it clean and ideal for 4 blokes on a drunken weekend
whitley bay as a whole is well past its best many pubs and clubs are now closed but we enjoyed it

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We stayed her 12 months ago and it had just had a refurb so wanst too bad it was on the most lively street in whitley bay now all the 20+ bars on the street were closed down or derelict only 4 bars were open and only one on the street???? absolute ghost town no one about at all and on a bank holiday weekend too???
well we waited for reception for 30 mins as the sign in window states go down to hush nite club for keys which it sed last yr ... but this yr hush nite club is closed down so this is very misleading well the rooms hadn't been hovered or cleaned in months disgusting ...moulde in the shower was ransid enough to make you physically sick hence we cut our journey short and went to Newcastle would not recommend this place to sleep to anyone ...our view from our bedroom window showed a skip full of bing bags with food in them a sette and carpets a haven for rats and mice !!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ericahigginsbutler

Travellers are raving about these Whitley Bay hotels

York, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Don't know where to start, I suppose I'm partly to blame for ignoring other comments..

Walked in to be greeted by the smell of damp, and I mean bad. Had my asthma bad in about 5 minutes.Carpet was filthy, no sign of anyone on reception. Check in was meant to be 2pm - I arrived well after to be told (once I had called someone out to check me in this is) my room wasn't ready. I then handed over the money for the stay.. Had one look in my room and honestly thought, does he really expect me to sleep in here? No towels, metal framed beds, dirty sheets, no coffee making facilities. The door frame was sticking out nails, the keys wouldn't lock the doors.

Obviously, after half an hour of this I was not happy. I yet AGAIN, had to call for someone to be called out - this took 45 minutes. I showed the man our room and questioned was he thought was to be suitable.. No apology, no nothing. He then tried telling me I hadn't paid the full amount to start with so he wasn't going to refund me what I said. After arguing about this I got my full refund and was told my account, with my card details that he had shouldn't be charged.. SHOULDN'T!

What was meant to be a 3 night stay was a half an hour stay. Whitley bay 2 years ago, really isn't what it is now. I wouldn't even recommend to stay anywhere there. It is like a ghost town - but if you are staying there.. Don't stay here. r check your room out first before passing over your money. There was hotels next door that heard the going ons aswell and offered rooms for half the price so not sure whether that was a good or bad thing. O It really isn't cheap and cheerful, ended up staying in Newcastle at The Jesmond, which I would 100% recommend.

Lesson learnt here!!!

Room Tip: Not to stay here unless you like the smell of damp.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank HLS277
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2013

There is nothing positive I can say about the Ocean Inn. For the price paid I was expecting basic accommodation but it came as a surprise to find myself lodging two doors away from a Strippers club. On entering the building I was greeted by the smell of damp and a filthy carpet though to be fair there were signs of recent decoration to the walls. On arriving at the reception which is situated on second floor I was asked to pay in advance and from that point I did not encounter a member of staff again throughout my entire two night stay. My room (which had a very dubious looking lock on the door due to having being broken and then repaired ) did have en-suite facilities I was expecting but overall it was extremely spartan in that it contained only two metal framed beds and a tiny shelving unit on which was placed a small tv, kettle and mugs and glasses so there was absolutely nowhere to hang any clothes. The bed linen was however freshly laundered and the bed was surprisingly comfortable appearing to have a relatively new mattress.

Other reviewers have passed comment on the breakfast supplied but as my stay was room only I do not have first hand experience of this but it would seem that according to other guests their comments on mouldy bread, loose cereal and inedible fruit were fully justified.

Room Tip: This hotel and those in the surrounding area cater purely for stag/hen parties where the revellers a...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Heather D
Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Where do you start, we had booked it as a cheap hotel to attend a course. It was the old adage; you get what you pay for. It is a dump, no that’s not correct. It’s a right dump.

But let’s start from the outside; it has all the impressions of a first class dump when you arrive, the sign above the door looks like a kid of 10 having a joke painted it. And two doors up the road was a big sign, STRIPPERS 2 pm to 6pm. It only added to the ambiance of the place, or entertainment depending upon your views (You would not want to take your kids on a weekend treat).

When you book in they want your money in advance, we did wonder why? (One of the few times you see the manager, to take the cash) But it soon became very apparent. As you enter it smelled of damp. As dose the stairs and first floor landing. (We never went further for fear of what wild animals may be lurking in the depths of the dark corners waiting to jump out on unsuspecting lodgers) I suppose the carpet is so stuck down with vomit, beer and god knows what that it can’t be removed without pulling the floor up.

Our room had been re decorated. Really!! The door had been forced open previously and nailed together. The good bits of our room were the lock worked just, sheets, pillows were clean and the walls had recently been painted. One bit of furniture in the room apart from the steel army beds was a small frame thing to put the TV on. (Best bit of the room) Surprisingly we slept very well in spite of the noise (which to be fair was not as bad as we expected from the stag parties) .The bathroom has seen better days, it’s very tired but low and behold for some reason you get hot water out of both basin taps, and the shower taps well we were a little disappointed as we expected them to both have cold water, but yes they both worked. As did the kettle if you hold the button in.

We ventured into the breakfast room at great personal risk to obtain tea bags, the bread on the side was mouldy (probably culturing it for medical reasons to use as a form of penicillin) the bread sat for two days that I know off. Tubs of cereal and the milk in the fridge, well who knows what little gems you may find in them (living or dead). Fruit in the basket was ready to run away and hide but I think it was too old to run far.

All in all it was cheap, I do think in my youth I have slept in worse places but maybe my memory has faded a little over the years as it seems I can’t recall any to hand.

You can’t knock the price but never again.

Room Tip: Find another hotel, don't stay.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Wrexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2013

First instinct when we arrived at Whitley was oh my god why are we here this place is England's Rhyl ad that's being too kind , advertised as stag and hen central , is it hell it's a dive of a place the hotel staff well the 1 lad on reception was alright and tried his best but the rooms are old and in need of a serious update , mould around bath and the beds looked like you could wake up on floor , even at 16 pound a night is still just a waste of money , I honestly can't say enough don't stay here , all the pubs clubs are shut down still bring advertised too but are all derelict buildings

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Em P
Wrexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We went to whitley bay after we were told it was an awesome night out! It isn`t. Its like a ghost town! We read the reviews and thought its alright we can make our own fun. we were wrong! We went out with our hen sashes an t shirts on in the day, and were not allowed in some places, and the ones we were we just got stared at! A lot of the locals just kept saying they felt bad for us for coming there! Apparently a few years ago it was a wild place, but its pretty much derelict now! The actual hotel is a dump, it was alright for what we needed it for, we literally put our stuff in and went out! But the front door to the hotel was left open all night, there were no staff there and a few dodgy looking people in and out! Really wasn't safe! Newcastle however was amazing, one of the best places ive ever been. Really packed on a sat night, but an awesome night out. its only about 12 quid in a taxi to get to Newcastle from whitley, but my advice would be to just stay in Newcastle!! Or find a better hotel! Also we purchased party vouchers off the internet for a few bars in whitley, giving us queue jump, free drinks etc, but the bars weren`t even open in the day, and we didn't hang around to see if they were open at night so don't waste ur money. The only good thing about the hotel was that it was by the beach, and it was nice to walk off our hangovers the next day, but that really is it!!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends