“The Pitts”
Review of Ocean Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Whitley Bay
Ocean Inn
Ranked #20 of 23 Whitley Bay B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Where do I start. The road in which the hotel is on seems to be all shut down. On going into the entrance, which is the not the entrance it advertises on the website you go upstairs through a dark grubby corridor to an even grubbier reception. My friend and myself had only booked the hotel as we were doing the great north run. Reading other reviews it would appear the price had been doubled from £20 pppn to £40 pppn. Believe me it was not worth £20 pppn never mind what we paid. After a maze of dark dingy corridors we entered our room. It looked like the original handle had been kicked off and replaced with a yale. The room was basic. It had 4 camp type metal beds, no head boards. All to be fair had clean sheets on which looked relatively new. We had booked a twin room, but it had been double booked so we got this at no extra charge. Apparently we were upgraded! All the mattresses were very uncomfortable, you could feel all the springs. The UPVC window had been broken or bent so the window wouldn't shut. The room was very sparse. no pictures, bedside cabinets. The only light was the main light with a dirty brown cockeyed lampshade. Only one window had a blind, the other window had nothing. The bathroom comprised of a toilet, sink and shower. The shower was dirty, the grouting was brown. The window was non frosted and had no blind or curtain. After the great north run we were looking forward to a shower. Unfortunately no matter how hard we tried it would only run cold. We had to ask for towels and there was one teaspoon to share between 2.

Room Tip: Just don't stay there
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 16 September 2013

We booked this hotel via links to hotels from the Great North Run 2013 site. For 4 people (two of which were children) they wanted to charge £40 pppn for the night. On arrival it was very clear that this was not a hotel that warrented a £40 price tag and the guy on reception looked surprised by this and only charged us £25pppn.

However, on surveying the room that we got the reduced £25pppn was also £20 far too much. Broken furniture, litter on the carpet, musty smell, no electrics in the interconnecting room, no tea or coffee, no towels and cot beds, a few of which had mattresses that that could have belonged in a prisoner-of-war camp. To cap it all it is right by the Whitley Bay night life with all the commotion that you could expect. I have advised the BUPA Great North Run that this place should be removed from their directory of hotels as it basically isn't a hotel. Oh, and the plumbing sounds like a dying whale - don't flush the toilet at night...!

Room Tip: Go to another hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank robbieshark
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Myself and a group of friends (all lads) stop at this hotel, I would some it up as basic. However, lets put this into context:

We were looking for a budget hotel, we were in Whitley for a party weekend. So do the maths, it was £18 per person. We only spent about 5 hours in our rooms and that was mostly sleeping. The beds were clean, as was the carpets and toilet. Yes it could do with some work, but does that really matter?

None of my mates were bothered and neither was I, it's a Ronseal hotel- somewhere cheap to lay your head after a night of excessive alcohol consumption! If you read some the reviews then decide to book and moan after that's your fault not theirs!

Put simply it's £18 !!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 September 2013

after reading reviews some of our party cancelled and booked elsware but im pleased we didnt we had 4 bed room and found it clean and ideal for 4 blokes on a drunken weekend
whitley bay as a whole is well past its best many pubs and clubs are now closed but we enjoyed it

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We stayed her 12 months ago and it had just had a refurb so wanst too bad it was on the most lively street in whitley bay now all the 20+ bars on the street were closed down or derelict only 4 bars were open and only one on the street???? absolute ghost town no one about at all and on a bank holiday weekend too???
well we waited for reception for 30 mins as the sign in window states go down to hush nite club for keys which it sed last yr ... but this yr hush nite club is closed down so this is very misleading well the rooms hadn't been hovered or cleaned in months disgusting ...moulde in the shower was ransid enough to make you physically sick hence we cut our journey short and went to Newcastle would not recommend this place to sleep to anyone ...our view from our bedroom window showed a skip full of bing bags with food in them a sette and carpets a haven for rats and mice !!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ericahigginsbutler
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Don't know where to start, I suppose I'm partly to blame for ignoring other comments..

Walked in to be greeted by the smell of damp, and I mean bad. Had my asthma bad in about 5 minutes.Carpet was filthy, no sign of anyone on reception. Check in was meant to be 2pm - I arrived well after to be told (once I had called someone out to check me in this is) my room wasn't ready. I then handed over the money for the stay.. Had one look in my room and honestly thought, does he really expect me to sleep in here? No towels, metal framed beds, dirty sheets, no coffee making facilities. The door frame was sticking out nails, the keys wouldn't lock the doors.

Obviously, after half an hour of this I was not happy. I yet AGAIN, had to call for someone to be called out - this took 45 minutes. I showed the man our room and questioned was he thought was to be suitable.. No apology, no nothing. He then tried telling me I hadn't paid the full amount to start with so he wasn't going to refund me what I said. After arguing about this I got my full refund and was told my account, with my card details that he had shouldn't be charged.. SHOULDN'T!

What was meant to be a 3 night stay was a half an hour stay. Whitley bay 2 years ago, really isn't what it is now. I wouldn't even recommend to stay anywhere there. It is like a ghost town - but if you are staying there.. Don't stay here. r check your room out first before passing over your money. There was hotels next door that heard the going ons aswell and offered rooms for half the price so not sure whether that was a good or bad thing. O It really isn't cheap and cheerful, ended up staying in Newcastle at The Jesmond, which I would 100% recommend.

Lesson learnt here!!!

Room Tip: Not to stay here unless you like the smell of damp.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank HLS277
Reviewed 14 August 2013

There is nothing positive I can say about the Ocean Inn. For the price paid I was expecting basic accommodation but it came as a surprise to find myself lodging two doors away from a Strippers club. On entering the building I was greeted by the smell of damp and a filthy carpet though to be fair there were signs of recent decoration to the walls. On arriving at the reception which is situated on second floor I was asked to pay in advance and from that point I did not encounter a member of staff again throughout my entire two night stay. My room (which had a very dubious looking lock on the door due to having being broken and then repaired ) did have en-suite facilities I was expecting but overall it was extremely spartan in that it contained only two metal framed beds and a tiny shelving unit on which was placed a small tv, kettle and mugs and glasses so there was absolutely nowhere to hang any clothes. The bed linen was however freshly laundered and the bed was surprisingly comfortable appearing to have a relatively new mattress.

Other reviewers have passed comment on the breakfast supplied but as my stay was room only I do not have first hand experience of this but it would seem that according to other guests their comments on mouldy bread, loose cereal and inedible fruit were fully justified.

Room Tip: This hotel and those in the surrounding area cater purely for stag/hen parties where the revellers a...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo