My wife and I had the misfortune to pay for a "guided" Route 66 tour with John Cartwright of " American Dream Routre 66 Cruzers" in May / June 2013.
The tour group of five cars were really good down to earth and honest people, some of who will now be lifelong friends.
It is truly unfortunate that the trip was ruined by the tour guide, John Cartwright. By the end of the trip, four of the five cars had gone their own way, disllusioned with the unprofessional and sometimes dangerous antics of our our guide. It was so bad after the first five days (of 18) that we asked for a $2000 refund and he gave it to us. Three of the other cars also asked for a refund by the end of the trip as well.
Issues included -
* Five days where advertised itinerary attractions were closed, including the first three days which we paid for which were on a US national long weekend.
* Multiple documented instances where the guide went in the wrong direction, even though tour members continually tried to call John on the radio to tell him. This included mornings where he went in the wrong direction 180 degrees for up to three quarters of an hour.
* Break downs to the guides1968 Cadillac on four (4) occasions which wasted at least one complete day of the available itinerary. On two occasions the tour group had to help with repairs.
* On one frightening occasion, the tour guide did a U turn after going in the wrong direction and and got bogged with two of the following tour cars having nowhere to go - so were parked in a horse shoe across the road. A petrol tanker then came over the hill and locked up its breaks trying to stop. If it hadn’t succeeded, there would have been four fatalities.
* Due to the above, the remainder of the trip was rushed, highly stressed with the remaining time to see many advertised attractions cut short or they were missed completely by the guide.
We met many really lovely and friendly people in the USA, who we would like to revisit by ourselves sometime in the future. Regrettably, legal action is now in train to recoup a further refund from this very poor and disorganized Route 66 tour operator.
Beware American Dream Route 66 Cruzers and the tour giuide, John Cartwright, if you are looking to have a holiday of a lifetime. There are a number of other more reputable tours out of Australia. Please choose one of those and save yourself the distress and disappointmen that we and others from our group had to undergo.
Own or manage this property? Claim your listing for free to respond to reviews, update your profile and much more.