“Wow - a unique experience”

The Lodge at Kauri Cliffs
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Matauri Bay
Hope Island, Australia
“Wow - a unique experience”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We have just enjoyed a three day stay at this hotel and it has been absolutely marvellous. Superb food , friendly and highly competent staff and a great golf course to boot. I can not recommend this lodge more highly and the only variable is of course the weather at this time of year but we were reasonably lucky.!! The rooms / suites are just fine , well appointed and serviced and quite frankly it is impossible to make any negatives comments because there just weren't any. Dale the head chef is a great chef and even though we were the only people to dine on our first evening here he produced an absolutely fantastic 5 course tasting menu for us and the service and wine selection choices were very well explained by Valeria the sommelier to make it the perfect evening for both of us.

Room Tip: All the rooms are similar but number one is the shortest walk to the lodge and has a great view over...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Robertson J, Owner at The Lodge at Kauri Cliffs, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear Michael J,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience from The Lodge at Kauri Cliffs.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your accommodation, the cuisine and the amazing golf course. I am even more pleased that you enjoyed your interactions with our staff including Dale and Valeria. We strive to be the best at what we do, and reading comments like yours proves we are on the right track.

Thank you again for choosing The Lodge at Kauri Cliffs and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Managing Director/Owner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Whangarei Heads, New Zealand
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The Lodge at Kauri Cliffs is gorgeous! We only stayed one night and I never wanted to leave. We felt more relaxed after 24 hours here than a whole week in Fiji. It was a turbo-vacation! The spa is amazing, the suite was luxurious, the Lodge is beautifully appointed, the food is amazing and the service was impeccable. The location is spectacular! The views from the Lodge and our suite were breathtaking. Absolutely every aspect of this place is designed for relaxation and pleasure. I can't wait to go back!!

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear ijoymama,

I appreciate reading your review full of compliments about your spa experience, your accommodation, and the cuisine. I also am pleased to read that you enjoyed your interactions with our staff. However, to say your 24 hour stay with us was more relaxing than a week in Fiji is truly high praise.

Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

Went to stay the night at Kauri Cliffs on the recommendation and booking through Alistair Tod from Greenfernz. We were greeted by Jodi, the Assistant Manager of the Lodge. Jodi was friendly, personable and very knowledgable about the property and surrounding areas. She made us feel very welcome and nothing was a problem.

Our room had beautiful decor that perfectly matched the property surroundings. My wife had a massage by Trudi at the spa and said it was the best massage she has had.

The golf course is simply stunning. It reminds me of pebble beach just without the crowds. So many strong golf holes with the most beautiful ocean views.

We are looking forward to our spring visit to Cape Kidnappers.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Robertson J, Owner at The Lodge at Kauri Cliffs, responded to this review, 27 April 2014
Dear Mark S,

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your accommodation, our challenging golf course, and the wonderful spa treatment. I am also thrilled that you personally recognized both Trudi and Jodi for a job well done, and I will be sure to pass on your praise.

Thank you again for choosing The Lodge at Kauri Cliffs and we look forward to having you at our sister property Cape Kidnappers soon.

Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

While we could have gone anywhere in the world to celebrate an important 60th Birthday, we chose to go to New Zealand from America and stay at the three robertson owned properties on the "Tiger Tour".
Besides meeting two other lovely couples who we were able to share all of this "splendor" with, we were able to experience this once in our lifetime the feeling of "having it all". It is true that the management makes one feel like a guest in their stunning home.
The golf course is one of the top rated in the world, the decor is Architectural Digest on it's best day, the food is as good as Per Se, the service is in a category all it's own.
Mr. Jay Robertson kindly met us for cocktails in the owner's cottage, and he also joined us for dinner at the Lodge. Jay couldn't have been more welcoming and warm, and it just continued the great feeling of service and pampering that Kauri Cliffs aspires to.
As I said in my other review for the other property, nothing in the design of the property has been overlooked, the food from Breakfast with the beautifully served cappuccino and fluffy omelet to the hand made potato chips left in the room, to the lovely Spa, beautiful grounds, etc, etc.
If you are looking for a trip of a lifetime, choose Kauri Cliffs, but don't forget Cape Kidnappers and Matakauri too!!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Robertson J, Owner at The Lodge at Kauri Cliffs, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear andrew g,

Warm greetings from Kauri Cliffs!

Thank you also for choosing our properties to celebrate this special birthday, and it was my particular pleasure to spend time with you during your trip. It is wonderful to read your glowing comments in regard to the golf course, the décor, and the cuisine. I am most pleased with your comments about our service and staff, as we truly strive to be the best at what we do and certainly reading your words cements our belief that we are on the right track.

Thank you again for choosing the Tiger Tour and our properties to celebrate such a special birthday and we hope you visit again soon!

Reviewed 13 April 2014

Not being a golfer , one has to find something else to like the place ... So we did !
The sightseeing is unique, the quality of the food as weel as the the one of the service is also top level. Their private beaches make you taking yourself for Robinson Crusoe...
There are very few remote places in the world where you will find wilderness and luxe melted in such an harmonic manner .
Pity that it's so far from France...

Room Tip: They are all the same and outstanding .
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear jclierru,

Warm greetings from Kauri Cliffs!

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the amazing sightseeing, the cuisine, and the service. It is also wonderful that you were able to experience the stunning and secluded Pink Beach as it certainly is magical- and whilst I cannot change our distance from France, you are certainly welcome back anytime!

Thank you again for choosing The Lodge at Kauri Cliffs and we hope you visit again soon!

New York City, New York
Reviewed 4 April 2014

It's impossible to capture the magnificance of this spectacular property set on the Northern Island though I certainly tried with hundreds of photos. You must see it with your own eyes. Set on 6,500 acres, rolling hills with roaming cattle and sheep and dramatic cliffside vistas set this landscape apart from any other resort I have been lucky enough to visit. Beauty beyond compare as the sun rises outside your terrace and dawn breaks on the golf course that clings to the cliffs. At dusk, a warm glow wraps the welcoming porch that spans the lodge.

Our rooms were tastefully done in tones of white and beige with working fireplaces (I must return in their winter!) Crisp linens and comfy quilts covered the beds and made for a great place to rest your head after a day of NZ adventure. The minibar was stocked with sodas, beers and snacks. A never empty jar with homemade cookies and the best brownies ever too! All included in the tariff.

Breakfast, predinner cocktails and canapes and a 4 course dinner are included in your rate and the food was fabulous. Local ingredients are used by the chef to create an array of different entrees every evening. And if you don't care for those, there is a wonderful grill menu with all the standards always available.

The staff was amazing. Given the small size of the lodge, they know each guest by name and preference - it only takes them once to remember what you like to drink, eat, when you wish to dine etc. They are ever present without being intrusive. Conversational, informative and witty too. We have many great memories of laughing with Fabian who served us many evenings and presided over our beachside picnic (A must!) Wish we could have taken h8im home with us. John, the guest relations manager, warmly greeted us and arranged for all of our adventures. Sebastian, the assistant manager, toured us around the acreage and pointed out the many interesting elements on the property. Trevor welcomed us every eve to the cocktail hour which took place on our schedule - not theirs.

Not feeling worthy enough of this golf course, we did not actually play. But that didn't stop us from jumping in golf carts and exploring the 18 holes for ourselves. Encouraged to do so by the staff, I'm glad to did as the course itself is visually stunning and certainly challenging. For true golfers, this should be on your bucket list - I believe it is ranked 39 on the world's top 100 courses.

Truly a bespoke experience - I hope we can return one day for another visit and take in their other lodges - Cape Kidnappers and Matakauri as well. I hope time stands still as there is nothing that I would change to make this experience any better.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank MaryKay519
Dear MaryKay519,

Warm greetings from Kauri Cliffs!

I am both proud and humbled to read your lovely review filled with such eloquence. I am so pleased you enjoyed the breath-taking views, the cuisine, and your interactions with our staff. To recall each by name is a compliment in itself. I am also thrilled you were able to tour around the golf course as the panoramic views are sure to impress, golfer or not.

Timaru
Reviewed 31 March 2014

There's this saying that people made a place. Then again, there's exception to the rule. Sometimes (and that's a very rare sometimes), a place can be unique because it's exactly just that. Being a hotelier and being a Kiwi for the past two decades, I was told about the pristine beauty of The Lodge. Being in the industry that I am in, it's not hard to be cynical about such a statement. However, the moment the front gates of The Lodge swung open, I was literally transported to another parallel universe, where everything seemed surreal. It does remind me again and again about TV episodes, Fantasy Island. It so happened that The Lodge also has a real life Guest Relation Manager (akin to Ricardo Montalban's character). The interior design of the main centre was exemplary, the view from all angles was achingly beautiful, the lunch menu was simple and yet, all food was well presented and freshly made. The dessert with the fondant was sheer perfection (melt in the mouth)! The staff was down-to-earth, attentive, personable and very friendly. On the day I was visiting, Karen and Karin were out front and they put me at ease. The head chef even took time out from his hectic schedule to have a mingle with the guests. There were many rooms in The Lodge with their own distinctive settings. In order to prevent guests from being stale and to keep things exciting and to personalise every and each guests' visits, they are allocated to the rooms that best fit their requirements. Whilst The Lodge does set up programs to encourage the guests to mingle and to socialise particularly during the canape hours, there are enough nooks and crannies in The Lodge for the guests to do their own things or they could simply hide in their own bungalows. Whilst The Lodge is well-known in the world for its golfing challenge, I was happy enough to get a cart and drove around the ground. It's very seldom that human-made greens and nature would co-exist so brilliantly together. It's truly a highlight to see golfers putting next to Angus cows, golfers endeavouring to put their balls from one cliff to the other, ancient beech forest nearby with nikau palms and gigantic kauri tree that is estimated to be between 700 to 900 years old, pink beach (due to sea shells), waterfall, Waiaua beach that is conducive for swimming, snorkelling, kayaking and fishing, Takou which provides a perfect platform for surfing. Truth to be told, The Lodge is the most ideal to be used as a base to explore its offshore islands and nearby places of interest. The management can contact local fisherman, drivers and licensed helicopter navigator to guests out for daily excursions. I don't necessarily agree with some reviews that stated that The Lodge is for hardcore golfers. It goes without saying that Kauri Cliffs has all aspects that made golfing challenging but it still has a lot to offer. To conclude, Kauri Cliffs is simply a brand for excellence, for its attention to detail, for its relentless pursuit of perfection. As a child growing up, I learnt of Lexus, that symbolised of all these attributes in car and now, I have found a contender in the field of hospitality. Well-done to Kauri Cliffs. For once, I have reached Nirvana on Earth, albeit just for one brief day and that place is called Kauri Cliffs.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank wiredfrog
Robertson J, Owner at The Lodge at Kauri Cliffs, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Dear wiredfrog,

Warm greetings from Kauri Cliffs!

What lovely sentiment and eloquence in writing, you have truly shared not only your experience but the emotion that went with. I read your letter with such gratitude and pride. Your descriptions of the lodge and grounds were beyond fantastic, your comparison to the Lexus brand such a compliment. I am so very pleased that you enjoyed vistas, the facilities, and the cuisine and were further able to take a cart and experience the property. We really strive to be the best in what we do, and to read your review shows me we are on the correct path.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Matauri Bay
Paihia Beach Resort & Spa
Kauri Park Motel
Kauri Park Motel
#1 of 16 in Kerikeri

Been to The Lodge at Kauri Cliffs? Share your experiences!