“great pub,”

Ranked #1 of 8 Restaurants in Edgworth
Price range: US$10 - US$25
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: We are a family run Pub & Restaurant situated in the heart of Edgworth Village, nestled in the west Pennine Moors. The White Horse is one of Bolton's best loved & known landmarked inns, dating back to the late 1700's. It was built when the village crossroads were formed from the enclosure of Edgworth Moor in 1795. The Inn is famous for its beautiful long bar, old beams, open fires, cosy seating and welcoming charm with a vibrate atmosphere. We take great pride in Food Quality preparing fresh to order every day. We strive to ensure that our produce is sourced as locally as possible. Our meats, fish & vegetables are delivered every day to ensure freshness of quality. Our chips are famous for being hand cut on site to make the best proper homemade chips. Our Bar is known for its 6 Cask Conditioned Ales, bought from some of Lancashire's most popular breweries. Our knowledge on our ales ensures the customer always has a good choice to choose from our bar, suiting everyone's pallet!
bolton
“great pub,”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

always welcoming, always a great atmosphere...
....now trip advisor wants me to say more:
-good choice of beer, always kept well.

• Visited June 2014
AlexJames22, Owner at The White Horse Inn, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Many Thanks for your review, really glad you like our pub and enjoy the atmosphere and the beers we have on offer. Hope to see you again soon.

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Lunch”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Had a fantastic Lunch with a friend, great food, great atmosphere, Alex the director made us feel really welcome, going back next week with more friends.

• Visited June 2014
Many Thanks for your lovely review. It was lovely to meet you both, and we will look forward to welcoming you back again next week with more friends.
Clayton-le-Moors, United Kingdom
“Sunday Munchies”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Just had a really nice Sunday afternoon lunch with the fiance in the restaurant. Reserved a table as I expected it to be heaving, it wasn't, though it got busier after 5pm. Bar staff lovely especially the lady with the tattooed forearm. The food was amazingly quick to be served from order being placed, seemed like minutes rather than many minutes that it was served. Roast beef was fine though two roast potatoes did surprise me (not as in they jumped out from behind a doorway surprise) in that only getting two seemed a bit stingy. The parsnips where soggy and not crisp but that's just me being a bit picky to be fair. All in all a good first visit and will certainly be back again to try the lamb next time. Liked the bar area though some of the more obnoxious who clearly loved to sit at it did make it awkward to get to it to get served which for me left a slightly sour taste in my mouth. Its not very welcoming to have to stand between couples trying to place your order for drinks when you feel like your in the middle of other peoples conversations. Clearly they were locals as one or two seemed put out that I was trying to buy drinks at their bar ;-)

But I must say friendly, attentive staff at the bar and restaurant and excellent value for money too. so go along and give it a try.

Basildon, United Kingdom
“Excellent service”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Having planned a long weekend break with my daughter and parents we arrived at our stunning accomodation to be informed that our host had reserved us a table for dinner in The White Horse Inn. When we arrived at the pub the watresses were happy and smiling and showed us to our table in the resturant part of the pub. Even with the UFEA Cup Finals on in the bar we were able to relax and enjoy our meal. The meals were freshly prepared and hot when served. Portions were just right and we were not rushed to finish eating. We returned there on a couple more occasions were we sat in the bar area. The waitresses again take your order and service is just as good. Good value for money and a full stomach!

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank Anne C
Many Thanks for your review. Were glad to know that you enjoyed your experience with us at The White Horse. Great to hear you returned on a couple of occasions whilst visiting the area too. We look forward to greeting you again soon if you return to the area. Best Wishes Team White Horse.
Bolton, United Kingdom
“Good food and service spoiled by the noise.”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I haven't been in the White Horse since it changed hands so we decided to try it for a Sunday evening meal.
The food and service were spot on and the meal was good value for money.
However, it would have been quieter eating on the runway at Manchester airport. The only table available in the pub area was at top end of the bar. The noisy group of mostly women in the same area had obviously enjoyed a few scoops this Sunday afternoon and were in high spirits. I didn't have a problem this until just before our main courses arrived someone else put music on the jukebox and then asked a waiter to turn the speakers on in this part of the room because she couldn't hear it. I expected him to say that it was deliberately quieter in there for diners but instead he turned them on.
So now there was dance music competing with the loud group who now got even louder.
This combined with the limited vocabulary of one or two, a liking for the f word shall we say, just about topped it off.
I did get up and look for another table in the alcoves but the music was loud in those too.
The management were either used to this or oblivious as they didn't do anything about it.

I appreciate that the noisy lot were regulars and spend a lot of money in there but they've managed to put me off eating in there again and I bet I'm not the only one as there were lots of empty tables as we left.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank John D
AlexJames22, Owner at The White Horse Inn, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Hi JohnD663,

Many Thanks for your review, I am glad that you enjoyed your meal and that our service was up to it's usual high standard, however, my sincere apologises that you were disrupted during your visit by a group of our regulars. Last week was a particular sad week as we lost a well loved village character very suddenly. Her family where in the pub reminiscing about old times.

I have sent you a reply directly, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Kindest Regards,