Spirit of Alaska Wilderness Adventures Lodge
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Kodiak National Wildlife Refuge
See available hotels
View Hotel
  • Breakfast included
  • Beachfront
All reviewsuyak baysea ottersbear viewingspent dayshalibut fishinggreat fishingbackyardalaskadeeradventureguidefoxaccommodationssteelebunkhouse
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 September 2011

Spirit of Alaska, with Steele as your guide, will give you the Alaskan experience that you desire. He only books one group at a time so the days are filled with what you want to do and when you want to do it. I spent 4 days up there with my father this past June and had a trip with memories that will last a lifetime. Although we were up there primarily to take photos and to relax in isolated, rugged nature - both of which we did - we also caught more fish than either of us have ever caught, One afternoon, we laid down a crab trap which resulted in an evening of eating endless, freshly-boiled crab. The photos we brought back are spectacular...bald eagles staring down the camera and taking off into flight, orange-billed Puffins and various other birds, otters, and bears. We hiked one of the days and spotted a bear eating grass by the waters edge. By slowly approaching her and watching her behavior as to how threatened she felt (she didn't), we ended up getting within 25 feet from her for some incredible photos.
I thank Steele for his expertise and candor and his ability to accommodate our somewhat erratic decision-making on "what to do next"! And I am eternally grateful at his ability to know his "backyard" and for his understanding of the animals in it. He was directly responsibility for me taking some of the best photos I have ever captured!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Darren L
Reviewed 24 August 2011

This property is exactly as advertised. Beautiful scenery, top notch fishing and photo opportunities. You are the ONLY guests to enjoy this Alaska Experience. No crowds, just you and your guests. Each day started the same.. "Steele, can we do this today?"..... (Halibut fishing, salmon fishing, kayaking, bird watching, bear watching, cruising the bay to look at otters, whales, puffins, etc.) and the answer was always the same - SURE!! If you enjoy seclusion, the outdoors, a top notch fishing guide and naturalist, and are willing to cook your own meals (in a fully equipped kitchen with the seafood that you have just harvested) this is your place! I have been to Alaska over twenty times and this is easily the best trip that I have enjoyed. Visit the website, www.spiritofalaska.com. What you see is what you get. Really. An absolute bargain.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank groved9999
Reviewed 6 August 2011

After months of research from the other side of the world we decided on "Spirit of Alaska" for our Kodiak experience. BEARS, bears and more bears, Bald Eagles, Otters, Orca ,Puffins, Seals the list goes on... 2200 photos later we were caught up in Steeles obsession for this land. Adventure, experiences and the best value for money. Thank you Steele for your company and for sharing a very special part of Alaska. We are already planning our return!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Oz-Scotts
Reviewed 4 June 2011

I am mostly into fishing and wildlife viewing. This was my 18th trip to Alaska and the 5th with Steele. He and his people and camps are the best for my wants and needs.

Jim Yoakum
Maryville, TN

Room Tip: Reserve early for the best times
  • Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank jhyfisher
Reviewed 29 April 2011

Steele Davis is a master of his trade.
Fishing, hunting, hiking, kayaking...he does it all.
The views, the service, the kindness....can't be topped.
If you are thinking about a 'real' Alaskan vacation...this is where you need to be.
No crowds...no rush....you are in Gods land on Gods time.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple