“A Great Seafront Restaurant”
Review of The Reef

The Reef
Ranked #7 of 59 Restaurants in Sandown
Price range: US$7 - US$35
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 10 August 2013

My Wife and I were on the Isle of Wight for our anniversary and booked a table here based on reviews from locals. We tried to walk in off the street on Monday but were told they were fully booked until Wednesday, such is the demand.

When we arrived on the Wednesday the staff were attentive and knowledgeable about the menu. My wife is not drinking alcohol at the moment and so we asked if they had any alcohol free cocktails. The waitress said that there are not any on the menu but that was no reason not to make one up and so they did.

The options and variety of food was brilliant however my Wife said that the pasta dish she had was nice and creamy but a bit bland and so this was a slight disappointment. However, overall the started was of a good size, the main that I had (Lamb Shank) was stunning and well cooked and the pudding finished it off nicely.

Once we had finished there was no rush for us to leave and so we sat for well over an hour listening to the live music they had and drinking a bit more.

Overall this restaurant is lovely. With a sea view and nice staff I would visit again and again.

1  Thank TristanBarnett

Reviewed 6 August 2013

As a party of 7 (including 3 children) on holiday, we heard this was a place you must try!

We booked our table indoors - you can't reserve outdoor tables, and we decided to eat early due to the young children in the group.

Firstly the layout inside seemed quite odd, not sure if it can be improved but as we were sat close to the door on a long table, all the thoroughfare between inside and out walked past us which was quite unsettling.

The staff didn't seem quite ready for evening service with our drink order taking 15minutes to arrive and us having to prompt to have our food order taken.

The food was very well presented and the children's portions were very generous, however the food wasn't anything special. We mainly went for the burger options, and all found our meat to be dry, with the accompanying sauces being the only saving grace. The chips and salad were tasty but nothing amazing.

The desserts were.... Well odd. The kids portions of malteasers cake was huge! As chocolate lovers I was surprised they actually left some... It was served with ice cream too! Yet the adults dessert seemed a bit stingy. I had the coffee ice cream dessert - now considering the size of the kids desserts I was expecting something spectacular... Nope, just a round scoop sized dessert on a huge plate with cocoa powder dusting... It was just disappointing.

The bill seemed pricey for the quality of food and service, yet the overall decor was nice, clean and modern. The outdoors seating area was great with brilliant views.

My tip - if you are an adult of average appetite.... Try the kids portions, they really were generous and the if the main doesn't satisfy you, the cake will, and it'll save you some pennies too.

Reviewed 5 August 2013

Situated right on the sea front with an outside deck area this place looks very appealing. We didn't
booked on our first visit and was very luck to get a table. The service was very good and the food excellent. But what really annoyed the wife and I was the little brat who kept shouting across the restaurant. The manager didn't say anything to him or his ignorant parents until he started banging on the fish tank. This spoilt the evening. On our second visit once again we had an excellent meal but the service was appalling. I complained to the waitress who served us on our first visit. Then the manager came over, apologised, and offered us a free drink. What he needs to be doing is to stop chatting the waitresses up and keep his eye on his restaurant. We may give it another next year, but only because the foods so good.

Reviewed 5 August 2013

The interior and exterior are really contemporary and menu is really good, would have preferred waitress service at lunch time but they only do this in the evening.

1  Thank Sue M
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Glad we booked as people were being turned away by half 7 and it's clear why it's so popular. Very good service and a lovely meal for a fair price. A good variety of food on the menu we will be back!

1  Thank PortsmouthHappy