“Excellent”

Price range: US$7 - US$35
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

I am currently visiting the island, on business, and was recommended The Reef by a number of customers. I was not disappointed! The place was absolutely packed, and I was lucky to get a table (luckily outside, on such a hot evening). The views from the deck are gorgeous! The staff couldn't have been more helpful and accomodating, and the food was excellent too - I would highly recommend the fish and chips, although every meal that I saw coming from the kitchen, looked great. Prices are pretty reasonable as well, which is always a bonus.

1  Thank sianlister

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Good menu, plenty of choice and great service. Friendly staff and lovely terrace area, perfect on a sunny day facing the beach.

1  Thank lizzy1f
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We asked a local chap where the best place in Sandown was for a nice meal. He reeled off about six names of pubs and restaurants then finished off by saying we could always try the reef but its one of those flashy very expensive places and gave us a knowing look!
So because I was feeling a bit rash we rang and booked. It was in a lovely spot, modern and trendy, on the front overlooking the sea. I ordered haddock roulade and my wife ordered the cajun chicken. Both were large portions, very well presented and really really tasty. The staff were great and all in all a thoroughly enjoyable experience. With a couple of soft drinks to wash it down the whole bill came to just under £26 so posh nosh at pub grub prices.Result!

1  Thank Peter L
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I first visited this restaurant when they opened and have not returned until yesterday. Sadly I was even more disappointed than the last time. I visited at 4pm in the afternoon - only one or two tables were occupied but many still needed to be cleared.
Service was very unfriendly and not at all welcoming I felt as if I was an intruder as the only member of staff was eating and on her mobile and I felt in the way! Eventually I was asked for my order by another member of staff who was of a similar temperament
There are very few vegetarian options and the menu rarely if ever changes
Even though I live only minutes from the Reef I will not be returning in a hurry despite the fantastic location

2  Thank 68cae2014
EMZINA88, Owner at The Reef, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2014

We have never responded to a review before but on this occasion we felt it was necessary. We would just like to point a few things out which may clear up any uncertainty.
You said in your review that you came in at 4pm. At 4pm we have a staff change over from the lunch time shift to the evening shift. The only member of staff that you say was working and sitting at the bar eating and using her mobile phone had actually just finished her lunch time shift and was merely having a refreshment break in her time off before she had to start work again for her evening shift. We would like to point out that staff, whilst on shift, are not allowed mobile phones and this is strictly adhered to. We are sorry if a member of staff sitting at the bar enjoying refreshment in her own time offends. Also as you said she was the only member of staff working, I am surprised that you got served by another member of staff!!
With regard to the menu we are disappointed that it is not to your liking as we feel that it caters for many tastes and preferences. Although, since we have been open (7 years), we have not changed the principles of the menu, we do change the menu on an annual basis. These are not 'wholesale' changes but additions and tweaks to keep it fresh and updated. The menu is very different from when we first opened. Due to the consistency of the menu and The Reef 'brand' we have been fortunate enough to build up a very strong and supportive local customer base for which we are very much appreciative. Lastly on the menu there are about 40 different dishes to choose from of which 13 are vegetarian. We feel that this is a very high amount, compared to competitors, and it is also a varied choice. We can also, on request, alter other dishes so they are suitable for a persons dietary needs. As owners we both work very hard to ensure that we offer great food and service and can only apologise for your experience with us.

Kind regards

Mike and Emma

Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

Had a really great meal big portion very friendly staff. Free wifi
clean lovely sea view and the mirrors in the rest room amazing i want one

2  Thank dianesaffron