“Petty”
Review of Royal Pier Hotel

Royal Pier Hotel
Ranked #15 of 29 Hotels in Sandown
Reviewed 7 September 2011

We stayed at the Pier Hotel for 5 nights August Bank Holiday, we paid £370.00 for the stay. As we are not early risers when away because we have to be up very early throughout the week, we missed maid service most days, when asking at reception for tea and coffee for the room we were quizzed as to why we wanted more and had to explain that the maid had not been in to leave any, then we were given 2 tea bags, 2 coffee sachets 4 milks and 4 sugar sachets. Why be so tight after all a tea bag works out at around 1p each, And we missed breakfast everyday so you think they could spare a few tea bags.
Eileen & John Loughton Essex

Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
June_OReilly, Manager at Royal Pier Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2011

Further to your review following your recent stay at our Hotel.

I do recall you both as your husband works on a market and he was pleased to have a sleep in. When you first asked for tea bags, I was concerned that the chambermaid had missed servicing your room. As soon as you explained to me the position each day, I gave you extra tea/coffee etc. I have also been informed by the chambermaid that she also gave you extra because you had informed her that you like to sleep in.

Reviewed 4 September 2011

B&B location: Excellent. Bang opposit the beach - next to Sandown Pier.
Room location: Bad. Room No. 20 was the very last room in the corridor containing many rooms and the single window in the apartment faced something which looked like the backyard of other buildings including its own. Also, the room was stuffy and had an unpleasant decor and low lighting. Seemed to be close to the kitchen since could hear utensil noise early morning.
Furnishing within the room: Okay. Creaky beds and floors. Small room of approx. 9ft X 11 ft size
Ensuite Bathroom: Okay. Within 2 ft of the bed. Quite small containing a shower + WC of size approx. 4.5ft X 8 ft.
Breakfast: Good. Not much choice for vegetarians though service was good and prompt by the waiters.
Security: Average. Had to leave the window open as the room was very stuffy and hot, but since the room was close to the backside, felt uneasy most times while sleeping.
Value for money: Definitely not worth £70 for a couple for a night for a Double bedroom ensuite bathroom.

• Stayed: August 2011

Thank you for sending a report to Trip Advisor.

We take on board your comments. The room sizes do all vary and you had booked a standard room. We still feel that £70.00 for 2 people for Bed and Breakfast in a Hotel with an indoor pool and entertainment is value for money.

We have compared our tariff with 12 other Hotels in Sandown and the majority of them are charging £80.00 per couple for bed and breakfast.

Reviewed 21 August 2011

Location is excellent and very close to the beach. There is no parking and eventhough they do suggest to park in the metered parking, it is constantly packed. We found a street close by to park and checked on the car every evening, this is something I would advise as it is free.
The staff were very good and helpful. The restaurant staff were friendly and very efficient. My only negative of the restuarant was that the menu was a bit basic. I am quite picky with my food and therefore I felt that I was just eating a different variation of meat every night. However, this is probably just me and others seemed to enjoy the menu.
The room was small (room 49) but cosey. We saw other rooms when we walked to breakfast and they looked much bigger so it could just be our room that was this way. Eventhough it was small, it was clean and tidy. It could be updated slightly as the TV showed multiply images rather than one person. We found this annoying but we did not really stay there much so were not overly bothered.
The shower was appauling and it made the entire bathroom flooded. This meant that we didnt have any towels as we had to mop the floor. We probably should have complained about this at the time but we did not really find it worth the complaint. We are both young (21) and pretty easy going so this is more of a warning to others that would be bothered, rather than a complaint from me.
The slots for breakfast and dinner were limited and slightly frustrating. 6.30-7 for dinner and 8.30-9.30 for breakfast.
Overall, the hotel was very nice and situated perfectly. Staff were excellent and it was well worth the money. Thanks.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank passsat
June_OReilly, Manager at Royal Pier Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2011

Thank you for writing a review about our Hotel.

The rooms do all vary in size and it is unfortunate you were allocated a standard room. If we had been aware of the problem with the shower, we would have seen to it for you. Regarding the TVs and thier signal, we have had a problem with the pictures recently and last week we upgraded the aerials and are pleased to say the TV signal is now much better.

I appreciate your comments about the Staff and will pass them on.

Reviewed 19 August 2011

This hotel does not pretend to be anything it is not. It is a 2 star property and it is clean, good and varied food , an indoor pool!There is entertainment every night in the Public bar, Lots of locals come in so you know you are in a good bar.
The rooms, they are clean and the "" facilities" are the best they can be , given the properties age. Rooms cannot be made bigger so the squeeze in the bathroom is to be expected.In addition it was the best lit room I have stayed in for a long time, as you know some hotels believe you need a side light by the bed. Our room had FOUR ceiling lights and two bedside lights!No tripping over the rug here.
The position cannot be beaten, easy to town, beach and pier.
Car parking was not a problem ,you just have to be lucky.
When we arrived there was a booking problem but it was easily sorted and a favourable discount given. The food was varied and , when I tried the salad I was very pleasantly surprised with the quantity and quality. I do like my puds with custard so that fitted the bill as well.
I think the dining times are a bit restricted but we made it in time each night.
The only comment on the food was the lunchtime. There did not appear to be any on offer that I could see.
We were made very welcome and all the staff were friendly .
So all in all for what we paid it was excellent value for money to include the ferry

Room Tip: If you want the best sea view rooms make sure you ask for a bay window room
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank rdwooty

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and a very fair one as well.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay even after the problem with your room.

We do not offer a lunchtime food service as the majority of our guests are out most of the day. We have a number of cafes and bars close to the Hotel serving food so we are always happy to recommend one of them.

Reviewed 12 August 2011

We have just spent a great week at the Royal pier Hotel, there were 5 of us, our ages ranged from 25, to 60. Yes the decor is a little dated, but it is in keeping with the age of the building. Our rooms 7, 11 and 20, were clean and comfortable. We were allocated a table in the main area of the dining room, the coach party tables were in the centre of that room and tables for other guests of 2's, 4's or 6's were around the edge of the room. Breakfast was good, we opted for fruit juice and full english, and found that more than enough for breakfast there was always plenty of toast and pots of tea or coffee. Having to order our dinner choices at breakfast, wasn't a problem for us, as it meant we always got our choices, we stayed at a rather expensive hotel in Weymouth for a long weekend one year and they ran out of some of the starters and mains two nights in a row! Also pre-ordering cuts out on a lot of waste! We found the staff at the Royal pier Hotel all very friendly and helpful. James, kindly gave us a complimentary sewing kit, after my husbands trouser hem came down! And to be honest, we thought all the staff looked smart.
The Royal Pier Hotel offers good value for money, a swimming pool and entertainment every night in a public bar that is open to non residents, or there is a residents only bar if you prefer, what more could you want. Even the 3 younger ones in our group enjoyed the music, We would rather sit in a bar with music, than sit in a bar making small talk or in silence, there was a small dance floor, The people from the coach parties were friendly, and after chatting to some of them, we found out that one lot had been going to the Royal pier hotel for the last 10 years!
Facing a lovely sandy beach and opposite the pier, with just a short stroll from the shops we thought it was ideal and will certainly be going back.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Margaret O
June_OReilly, Manager at Royal Pier Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2011

Many thanks for your review following your recent stay at our Hotel.

We appreciate your comments and are pleased you pointed out that we are happy to cater for and accommodate all ages.

We are full at the moment with lots of families enjoying the pool and the entertainment. We hope we might see you again.

Reviewed 8 August 2011

I first stayed at the Royal Pier in 1971 and thought what a good standard hotel, with nice rooms and good food served by smart waiters. Oh how the standard has gone down! We stayed in room 48 which was horrible, small, tatty and cheap. The bathroom was a smelly cupboard with toilet and shower. Breakfast was served, not in the main dining room,but in another horrible, dull room sitting at the back in the corner facing the wall. My husband asked for fruit juice and cereal, but was told he could only have one or the other. How mean is that! The cooked breakfast was of poor quality - sausages like sawdust and salty bacon - served by scruffy waitresses. We are so pleased we didn''t stay for dinner. We paid £80 a night for the two of us with breakfast. I wouldn't mind paying this for a decent room with good food, but for this standard I think we were conned. We would never return to the Royal Pier again, or even Sandown. The whole area is run-down and nothing like it use to be. What a pity!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank lindafranco
June_OReilly, Manager at Royal Pier Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2011

We are sorry your recent stay with us was not what you expected, especially as one of you had worked here many years ago. You will recall, we were fully booked otherwise we would have offered you an alternative room.

I am upset to read your comment "served by scruffy waitresses" as I think this is an unfair comment and I have never received any other comments of this nature. I still feel that £40.00 per person per night in a Hotel with an indoor swimming pool and nightly entertainment is good value. It is sometimes not a good idea to go down memory lane as we are inclined to look back "with rose tinted glasses" and all things change in 40 years.

Reviewed 7 August 2011

Just returned from a short break on the IoW, staying in the Royal Pier Hotel in Sandown. I have been interested, but not surprised, to see the wide variety of comments. People either seem to love the hotel or hate it. I think a lot of this has to do with the person's age. The hotel clearly caters for large coach parties, predominantly made up of the older generation. Nothing wrong with this but it means that independent/younger travellers and their requirements are rather overlooked. I am in my thirties and, for a number of reasons would not stay at this hotel again. For me, the negatives most definitely outweigh the positives.

Positives
1) The location is very central - just across the road from the pier/beach and very close to shops, restaurants, etc.
2) The price is fairly low (though I would nevertheless expect a bit more for the price, or would be happy to pay more for a nicer hotel)
3) The bar area was ok for post-dinner drinks and was open until midnight.
4) Breakfast was served fairly promptly.

Negatives
1) Lack of parking (though I guess this is the same for many of the hotels located nearby). We had to park in pay and display car parks which was inconvenient because it meant having to get up early each morning to top up the meter by 8am.
2) Decor is very dated - like being in a different era. However, to be fair, this may appeal to some of the older guests.
3) Short, inflexible meal times. Breakfast was from 8.30-9.30am. We were playing golf one morning and asked if an earlier breakfast was possible - first response was 'no'. In the end, it did prove possible but only because a coach party was departing that morning and happened to be having an early breadfast. Dinner was from 6.30-7pm!! Personally, a 6.30pm dinner is too early - I want time to get back from my day, relax, shower, change, etc. before sitting down for dinner. This timing appears to be geared towards the plentiful coach parties of older people. If you are not in a coach party, do not expect to get a table in the main dining room at the front of the building. Instead you will be put in a darker, smaller back area.
4) Contrary to what the hotel website says, the waiters/waitresses are not a 'friendly team of staff'. Our waitress seemed to have trouble cracking a smile and a friendly 'good morning' was obviously too much of an effort.
5) Perhaps we were particularly unfortunate with the room we were allocated (no. 18) but it was poor and certainly had not been refurbished recently. It was small with old, cheap-looking white MDF furniture, thin carpet, tiny toilet/shower room, horrible lampshades made of cardboard. The shower was difficult to turn on. Once on, the water pressure was good but the cubicle was so small I had to leave the curtain open (and I'm not a large person). To say the bed was creaky would be an understatement! It was without doubt the noisiest bed I have ever slept in - every time my husband moved in his sleep, the noise of the bed would wake me up. TV was old and pictures were rather fuzzy - I have noted the owner's comment that updating TVs is not a priority but it's not too long until the digital switchover reaches the IoW. The room was also extremely hot, even with the window open overnight.

In conclusion, if you are not part of a coach party or are younger than 70, I would suggest you stay somewhere else. I'm all for 'value for money' but the standard of our room was way below that.

Room Tip: If you are allocated room 18, ask to be moved.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank clares0404
June_OReilly, Manager at Royal Pier Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2011

In response to your comments:

Parking - a lot of guests manage to find free parking in streets close by.

The Royal Pier is an old Victorian building and modern decor would not suit this style of Hotel.

Meal times are set to suit the majority of our guests It would not be financially viable to open the kitchen and bring in the Chef and waiting staff for 2 guests. However, we have now listed the meal times in our confirmation letters to ensure guests are aware before they arrive.

It has nothing to do with coach parties having the front Dining Room, it was just that they were already here when your group arrived. None of these problems were brought to our attention whilst you were here otherwise we could have dealt with some of them. We are aware of the digital switch-over and plans are underway.

We accommodate all ages of guests from babies to senior citizens and ensure they are all made welcome and looked after.

We are aware in these difficult times peoples' expectations seem to be higher. We always feel frustrated when guests depart with so many negative comments which they never bring them to our attention when staying with us. However, we are still sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay and have taken on board your comments.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandown
The Wight
#6 of 29 in Sandown
The Royal Hotel
The Royal Hotel
#1 of 9 in Ventnor

Been to Royal Pier Hotel? Share your experiences!