“Great position...... Slightly dated..”
Review of Royal Pier Hotel

Royal Pier Hotel
Ranked #14 of 29 Hotels in Sandown
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We booked this weekend with a local coach company on a super saver deal,having been allocated the royal pier hotel we felt we came up trumps
Great position right smack opposite sandown pier with a room with a wonderful view looking out to sea. Half board basis with full English breakfast & evening meal....and of course the bar...the staff are very friendly & helpful ,sandown itself was quite (but it is march) with a lovely long sandy beach,although for the shopaholic's you may be disappointed
As for the hotel it's decor good do with bit of moderniastion... All in all a great hotel. "Oh and it's got an indoor pool"..

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Wanderlust W
June_OReilly, General Manager at Royal Pier Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your stay at the Royal Pier.
We are pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay and agree that the hotel is dated in places, we do have a refurbishment plan which we are hoping to put in to place soon.
We look forward to seeing you again.

Amanda Sammons
Reception,
On behalf of June O'Reilly , General Manager

Reviewed 11 March 2014

We Have recently stayed in this Hotel the staff were very friendly ,the Restraunt staff were so very effeciant,It was a lovely gesture that our cases were taken to our room and collected again on departure ,Yes the Hotel needs a little TLC but our sheets were clean had I been staying longer I would request a sea View has our room was dark and not a good outlook ,but for the price we paid we put up with it for the 4 days we were there .would stay there again thats for sure

Room Tip: Ask for sea View
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Maltontraveler
June_OReilly, General Manager at Royal Pier Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2014

Thank you for taking time to write a review following your recent stay with us. A case porter is always a welcomed gesture by those who have had a long journey. We agree that the Hotel is dated in places and we do have a refurbishment plan to implement once the weather improves. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back soon.

Sarah Brown
Duty Manager
On Behalf of June O'Reilly

Reviewed 21 February 2014

Had a one night stay here and couldn't fault it. Room was dated but fits in perfectly with the era of the building. Breakfast was good. View from my room was amazing. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank jack s
June_OReilly, General Manager at Royal Pier Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Many thanks for your review and I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We are slowly updating the rooms but agree with your comment "fit perfectly with the era of the building".

Reviewed 13 January 2014

When we visited last year, we got to our room and well...where to start, bathroom floor was wet, radiator had all hairs on.... the shower curtain was starting to go mouldy, paper hanging from the ceiling. TV and kettle did not work so breakfast never came soon enough as me and my boyfriend love our hot drinks.

On the third day of our stay my aunt who was in a different room was coming out of her room when the door slammed and trapped her finger so me and my boyfriend ran to her aid when her hand was swelling and sat her down for a minute as she was going to pass out. When she started to calm down I said we needed to go to reception to ask for some help because it looked broken, when we got down to reception they had nothing to say other than the window must if caused the door to slam, I said do we not have to write in the accident book, the lady said if we wanted to, she passed me the accident book and I could see the last five accidents that happened in the hotel I thought this information was confidential but obviously not. Without being offered any help and not knowing the area we knew nothing about hospitals or anything so we went out. When we returned to the hotel later on that night the lady on reception then offered us a cup of ice this is 3 hours after......When we returned home 3 days after the accident I took my aunt to the doctors who told me to get her straight to a&e as it was badly injured. So after traveling home or 7 hours I had to sit in a&e 6 hours on a Friday night...was not impressed. Does this hotel not have any first aiders.

Although I could not fault the view from my hotel room we could of not had any nicer view than the sea and going to sleep listening to the waves. The food in the hotel was gorgeous I felt full all the time and only ever ate the breakfast and dinner and never snacked between.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Jodie H
June_OReilly, Manager at Royal Pier Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Further to your review just posted on Trip advisor, I am really sorry you had a problem whilst staying at our Hotel.

Unfortunately as it was last year it is difficult for me to respond fully. There seems to be some confusion about the visit to reception, although it was 5 months ago the receptionist remembers it well. When you came down the receptionist got ice for you straight away. There is a report in the accident book but there are only 2 reports on each page and one was the one you were filling in so I am not sure where the 5 came from! The doctors surgery was still open and reception would have been happy to call them and arrange a taxi to take you there. We do have first aiders but it was only a slight swelling and no apparent bruising so we felt the ice would be sufficient, it is down to the individual to know how much pain they are in and if they require Medical attention. There were no more comments made about the injury during your stay. In hindsight maybe a visit to the doctors would have been a good idea instead of going on a coach trip and may have saved you a long visit to A & E after such a long journey home.

Also I have noticed you reported a light bulb had gone in your room which was dealt with immediately. There is no report of the other issues you have now complained of. We are very strict on repairing/replacing and faults within 24 hours or offering another room. It is a shame you never gave us the opportunity to do so.

I am pleased to hear some of your holiday was enjoyable and I hope your Aunt has recovered now.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

We have just returned home after our latest stay at thr Royal Pier Hotel. Once again we were made very welcome on our arrval. We stayed four nights over the New Year and we really enjoyed the time spent there. The food was plentiful and nicely cooked, compliments to your chef. The waiting staff were very efficient, polite and cheerful. As we booked rather late the only room available was a twin room on the ground floor. This suited me as I have walking difficulties, I was told before we booked that we might hear some noise during the day, this was not a problem while we were there but it was nice to have been warned it might have been a problem. Overall a really nice stay and we hope to return later in the year.

Room Tip: Ask for room l if you have walking difficulties, dont mind a twin room and don't want a sea view...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Howie12
June_OReilly, Manager at Royal Pier Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Thank you for your review following your recent stay, it was nice to see you again.
We are glad you enjoyed it and I will pass your message onto the staff. We always point out that the ground floor room might be a little noisy but pleased to hear it did not give you a problem.

Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

My wife and I have just had our second stay at the Royal pier hotel and like the first stay the staff were very helpful. Nothing seemed to be to much trouble We had a very pleasant stay and can't wait until next year Thanks to all the staff for making us welcome !

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank royeevans

Thank you for your review and we are pleased you enjoyed it. Hopefully we will see you again.

Reviewed 29 November 2013

I went on holiday with trepidation after reading some of the reviews about the Royal Pier Hotel. Arriving at the hotel our cases were taken to our room and then at the end of our holiday they were brought down to reception, which I thought was a lovely gesture.
Our room was clean and hot and had a sea view. Maybe the shower was small but the water was hot and the towels were clean.
All staff I met were exceptionally friendly and welcoming.
Finally I must send my compliments to the chef. The meals were wonderful. My only complaint is that I have put weight on!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Patricia B
June_OReilly, General Manager at Royal Pier Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent visit to the Royal Pier. After a long coach journey we feel its always helpful to offer a porter service to our guests and indeed on departure too. We are pleased that you found your room to be clean and warm, and I will pass on your compliments to our Chef. We hope to see you again.

Sarah Brown